Ok, so the other day I was sitting down thinking of learning a song and decided to go back to 'Layla' (Derek & the Dominoes version) that I only ever learnt the main riff of about 6 years ago.

Just strumming along with it the transition between the verse and chorus is horrible and I was wondering if anyone had an idea to make it sound better without having a full backing band.
I'm talking about going from the E chord into the riff in open position.

Any ideas are appreciated
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
How about an A chord? It might flow nicely in between the E and Dm chord, which is first chord in riff. Would also function as a V chord for Dm.

OTOH it wouldn't sound for hardly any time before you had to start playing riff ... maybe just an A note instead of a chord? i.e. open 5th string
A7 would work quite nice as well...A brief moment in D harmonic minor before returning to natural minor.

Quote by guitarviz
maybe just an A note instead of a chord? i.e. open 5th string
That's how the lick starts, hammering an A to a C.
Yeah I was messing around with trying to fit in an A chord but it's quite a tricky to get in so it sounds right. I'll try A7 and see how that sounds.
Decided to look at the acoustic version at an ungodly hour last night and he seems to go to the A chord in the transition in that version so it seems the most logical chord/note to incorporate, but like you say, the little lick starts with the A so it doesn't work perfectly. Might skip the lick the first time round and go from A to Dm instead and see how that sounds.

Thanks for the suggestions
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic