Recently I was hired by my school to direct the music for my high school musical. Back to the 80's.

My duties are to gather up a band, two keyboardists, a guitarist, a drummer and Me, the bassist. I've been thinking of ways to handle this.

We have a set list of 26 songs, ranging from Bon Jovi, Madonna, to The B-52's. I know most of the songs, and the music sheets come in. I also have two solo songs to sing - Wham!'s Wake me up before you Go Go, I have an encore of the same song.

The bass work is fairly easy, walking bass lines, normal pop stuff. The pay is 200 dollars split between a five piece band - for five months of work. The drama teacher (the person who hired me) said that the pay may move up, depending on how we tackle this.

I was thinking of practice once a week, with homework learning the songs. I have to act as the band leader, and I have to help the Musical Ensemble sing.

Do you guys have any suggestions as to what I can do? We are having guitar try outs soon, because we have found our two keyboardists and drummer.

Suggestions?
DB Player
I would suggest on asking for more than .05 an hour
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Standard Strat
Traynor YCV50 Blue
Roland Microcube
Could you be a bit more specific?
It sounds like you seem to have everything in control so far and you just need to find a guitarist, so what exactly are you worrying about?
If you're in charge, you'd better lay down the law and make sure the other players are as serious as you are. Otherwise they'll never practice tunes or anything.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Quote by Mike-T
I would suggest on asking for more than .05 an hour

Hang on.... when was the last time YOU got paid for doing anything extra-curricular? Last I checked, things like playing football, being in the A/V club, taking part in the school play, singing in the choir, playing chess, etc. were all done because you wanted to do it and it was fun.

I say kudos to the teacher for finding a way to be allowed into the budget to pay somebody something for doing a rather sizeable and important job.

I mean, really.... the teacher herself is not being paid for doing it. She is volunteering to take this on. The kid is making more than her for their respective parts in this production.

Okay, yeah, she gets a good salary... but she'd get that anyways. Her salary is for her role as a teacher - not for her role as a drama director on her free time.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Sep 19, 2008,
Quote by axemanchris
Hang on.... when was the last time YOU got paid for doing anything extra-curricular? Last I checked, things like playing football, being in the A/V club, taking part in the school play, singing in the choir, playing chess, etc. were all done because you wanted to do it and it was fun.

I say kudos to the teacher for finding a way to be allowed into the budget to pay somebody something for doing a rather sizeable and important job.

I mean, really.... the teacher herself is not being paid for doing it. She is volunteering to take this on. The kid is making more than her for their respective parts in this production.

Okay, yeah, she gets a good salary... but she'd get that anyways. Her salary is for her role as a teacher - not for her role as a drama director on her free time.

CT

+1, as well as it's not like it's a bad job either.
I'd go for it, that would look really good on your CV.

You need to take control and keep everyone interested without turning it into High School Concentration Camp.