so heres the deal...

i'm teaching this kid how to play guitar...so far we've gotten through the strings and i've taught him the G, A, C, D, Em chords in the first position...

to keep him interested i want to give him a cd of some songs using ONLY these chords...but i'm having a brain fart...

suggestions of songs?
PSH!

Teach him power chords and throw some JONAS BROTHERS at him.

But in all seriousness... Maybe Good Riddance by Green Day? The arpeggio (sp?) parts might be too hard but he can just strum and it sounds almost as good.
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Trace Elliot straight cab
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
the two i learned first were heart of gold - Neil Young (i think its just Em, D, C and G) and who'll stop the rain - CCR (G, C, D, Em)
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
the simplest song of all time-
should i stay or should i go
Uncle Vernon, Uncle Vernon,
independent as a hog on ice,
He's a big shot down there at the slaughterhouse,
Plays accordion for Mr. Weiss
Turn the Page (Seger or Metallica) is stupid easy. Hide Your Love Away (Beatles) will be a good intro to 3/4 timing, and you should quickly teach him Amin and go with Wish You Were Here.

edit: Hide Your Love Away has an F chord, which is also easy to do.
Quote by sweet_inc
so heres the deal...

i'm teaching this kid how to play guitar...so far we've gotten through the strings and i've taught him the G, A, C, D, Em chords in the first position...

to keep him interested i want to give him a cd of some songs using ONLY these chords...but i'm having a brain fart...

suggestions of songs?

I would suggest:

don't get stuck on those chords. The idea is to teach the student something they are interested in and is easy enough for them to attempt to play.

Find an easy 3 or 4 chord song and show him that. Chances are at least some of those chords are there, and maybe some new ones.

example: good riddance by green day..... G Cadd9 D Em C ( 1 new chord, very recognizable riff)

anything like that would work. Make sure its something the student is interested in though.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Sep 19, 2008,
Oasis - Live Forever
(G - D - Am - C - G)
First song I ever learned

Oasis - Stand by Me
(G - Em - C - G/C - G)

Oasis - Don't Look Back in Anger
(C - Am - E - F - C - G)

In fact, anything by Oasis is a good place to start!
-Keep on listening to the great Joe Strummer. Cos through music, we can live forever.
Try Bob Dylan songs like 'Blowin in the Wind' and 'Tambourine Man'.
CCR bad moon rising- D-A-G
coldplay viva la vida-C-D-G-Em
if he learns F he can play free bird (G-f#note-Em-Em-F-C-D)