well it has to be a mega upgrade coz right now i have an mg15... and i hate it. ive got a decent guitar and a gt 8, and was wondering what amp i could get for like $200 or so (only for my bedroom... im using a friend's mesa for gigs..) coz the patches i make sound so shitty at home and i turn the bass up so high everywhere that when i have to go live, im completely messed up!!

i know id have to get a mesa myself so i can completely fix my prob, but i dont have that much cash. atleast if i could get my bedroom sound right, id be able to kinda estimate how ill sound live... (even if i cant do that too well, i just need a new amp that sounds nice)

basically for metal (and a lil clean stuff and rock and the works..), but i dont really need the amp dist coz ill be using my processor for that....
Roland Cube and vox valvetronix are both great bedroom amps. I like the vox better, many like the roland cube better. The only way to know which one you will like better is to try them.
Not taking any online orders.
i've always found that the Spider sounds better than the Valvetronix, but haven't tried the Cube.
I have to agree. While everybody is gonna disagree with me on this, Spider IIIs are pretty good for their prices.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.

Don't ask me I have no idea how the hell it happened.

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
I wouldnt get a modeling amp to use with a GT-8
They tend not to work very well with pedals
Id save up for a small valve combo like a laney
Quote by Invader Jim
Well, opinions are like assholes...

Quote by LP Addict
they excrete feces, playing a vital role in the digestion system?

lol
Quote by geetar_alex
I wouldnt get a modeling amp to use with a GT-8
They tend not to work very well with pedals
Id save up for a small valve combo like a laney

But the Laney valve amps are pretty expensive; the VC15 is £250.

I'd stick either with a Vox AD15VT or a Epi VJ, but the latter will break up at loud volumes.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Laney LC15 - £150. But in america they'll be much dearer.
I'd say an Epiphone Valve Jr if you want to go valve for that price. Otherwise a Vox AD15/30 sorta thing would do you. I can get some pretty decent sounds out of the AD15 they have at my school I have to admit. Haven't tried a Roland Cube or Spider III so I can't compare with them but it blows any MG out the water I must say.
Peavey Vypyr

or so I've heard
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
The Epiphone Valve Jr. is PLENTY loud for bedroom use. You said you have something else for gigs,etc. I'd say it's exactly what you want.

Cheap
Tube
No extra effects

Buy buy buy!

-J
If you're gonna use the GT-8 for your preamp then look around locally for any combo that has a 12" ( or 2) and an effects loop or pre-pro ins and outs.

Just plug your Gt-8 into the power amp input and negate the preamp on the amp itself.

BUY USED! You get more bang for less buck, even in India I assume!
Right now the Crate V series stuff is going cheap, and it sounds damn good for the money. (all tube)

V18 is going for $150 (1x12) EL84 based.
V18 2x12 is $200
V50 1x12 is around $200 6L6 based.

I have both a valve jr and a V18. the VJ needs mods to get the tone anywhere near what a V18 can get with no mods required.

Since you favor the Mesa sounds, the V50 would probably get a better clean tone for you to run your gt8 into.

Modeling amps sound OK for hi-gain stuff. Their clean sounds are HORRIBLE.
Doesn't matter what brand. That applies to all of them.

Heard of some guys going into the crate power block with modelers, but generally solid state stuff does not take pedals as well as tube stuff. I guess the solid state preamps just aren't as forgiving?

The V50 would be my suggestion for a new amp, cheap. Otherwise, see what you can find used that has a decent clean tube sound.
well was checking out the crate v50 and the epi valve an all... and i looked at a few reviews. http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V50112-50W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487054

a few of the reviews on mf say that the tubes fried after using for a while... kinda disturbing. im not sure abt mf reviews. i tried submitting a review thrice for the same guitar and it never showed up on the site. im confused now. DAMN!!
Vox Valvetronix and Roland Cubes are the best bedroom amps, period.

I have a Vox valvetronix ADVT30, and it's the best! It's very versatile, and it has a power adjustment knob on the back, so you can have it as loud as you want, you're not stuck with an amp that's too loud and disturbs the neighbours, but you can still crank it up if you want to do a small gig. It's the best by far compared to most amps, and I'm sure a lot of people with agree with me on that! I prefer it to the Cube though, it has more effects and everything, and it just seems a bit more rock 'n' roll than the Cube.
Hi! I'm Andrew, and when I have a bubble in my throat I sound like Alan Rickman!

I have the BEST Jizz Face on UG!

My YouTube Channel (slowmotion stuff!): www.youtube.com/wannabeguitarlegend
He already has a GT 8 why you recommend him a roland cube or a vox:S:S he gets the distortion/overdrive, cleans, effects and everything from gt 8 so if i were him i would buy a tube amp like epiphone valve junior.
HOLY CRAP the crate v50 wieghs 50 pounds!!!!! i thought i'd try get it down from the us since it isnt available here... no way thats gonna happen. ****.
If I were in this possition, and my friend was letting me use his Mesa for gigs, I'd probably just get a used POD off of somebody. You'll have all your effects and setting saved in, you can record riffs you come up with, and you probably wont get bored with it with all the settings. This is just what I would do.

(Now I Want A POD..)
I am southamerican and i bought a laney HCM30 at like 500 pesos (my country's coin) and if you convert it to dolllars, its like 500/3= do the math! :P

mmmm... unless I was extremely lucky, this amp shouldn't cost more than 200 dollars... maybe 250. it is very good, overall because its very potent! (pplus you said you had pedals)

so I recomend it... if not go to the review section and look for it...
ok so basically now its between the laney hcm30 and the cube (coz i cant get any of the others here... stupid country..) i cant decide which one thhough... and the only place having both afaik is an online site... so right now trying them out isnt possible (i am trying to find a store having either one though...)

oh and here the laney costs about $150... the cube's about $120... (approx conversion)
Don't settle for Cube, Vox, Spiders.

Check out the Fender Super Champ XD or Fender Vibro Champ
(Both the same, Super=15W, Vibro=5W)

Now I know what you're saying, "Fender? That's a Blue's company"
And I'm not a big blues fan either.
I love metal man.
If the on board distortion isn't enough for you then
combine it with that GT-8, and it'll be beast.

Just try it out.
It's better than anything else you can buy in that price range.
All tube to

dude for one its a bit over my budget and 2.. its gonna be really really hard to get it coz its not available in this shit country where practically everyone loves marshall mgs....
whats the dimensions and weight of the vibro (and super... way over my budget, tho..)?? coz if im gettin it it'll be thru my aunt next month if its not so big and/or heavy...
Quote by Nims
The Epiphone Valve Jr. is PLENTY loud for bedroom use. You said you have something else for gigs,etc. I'd say it's exactly what you want.

Cheap
Tube
No extra effects

Buy buy buy!

-J

I use a VJ for band practice, that shows just how loud it is.
It's just as loud as a 30W SS amp, with a nicer tone.
the only advice i can give u is to save up some more cash and get something worth ur money. it's kinda stupid to buy a cheap amp if ur not gonna be happy with it, even if we are talking about a practice amp. i recomend an all tube amp, like a small 10 or 15 watt combo. i personally think laney has a good small valve series that could work for u...u just have to save up a few more bucks and be patient.
Quote by jayeshrc
whats the dimensions and weight of the vibro (and super... way over my budget, tho..)?? coz if im gettin it it'll be thru my aunt next month if its not so big and/or heavy...

Guessing, I'd say my Super is 1.5ftX1.5ft or meters (.5mX5m)
Mm, Weight 25LBS
Normal sized practice amp actually.

I know the Vibro is smaller. Probably 1ftX1ft

But I bought my super champ for $225 at a local shop
Now most online dealers or "Guitar Center" shops probably won't go that low.
Tell your auntie to look through some local shops before Guitar Center.

But even my local guitar center was selling a Super for $250

damn 24 pounds is quite a lot... well lemme see what i can do...

Quote by bestscorer
the only advice i can give u is to save up some more cash and get something worth ur money. it's kinda stupid to buy a cheap amp if ur not gonna be happy with it, even if we are talking about a practice amp. i recomend an all tube amp, like a small 10 or 15 watt combo. i personally think laney has a good small valve series that could work for u...u just have to save up a few more bucks and be patient.

the fender is all valve, isnt it? im tryin for the 15w one...
Quote by jayeshrc
damn 24 pounds is quite a lot... well lemme see what i can do...

the fender is all valve, isnt it? im tryin for the 15w one...

yes but the distortion on fender amps usually isn't that good for metal, at least for my personal experience. laney on the other hand has a decent overdrive even on small tube amps and a nice low end. in general a small tube amp is weak on low end distortion and u don't get that nice rich and full overdrive like u do on bigger amps. in ur budget crate offers a good selection of small tube amps with good overdrive
Hey the Crate V18 1x12 is awesome!! For only like $150, all tube, it is a great sounding amp. And if you are worried about it not making it let me tell ya, I'm currently in Iraq, deployed, I had it shipped through MF and it made it here fine.

The sound is very nice too for a nice cheap all tube amp especially for practice. I also have a roland cube 15x. Which is also nice but I definately prefer that crate v18. Got to be able to play will over here too in my spare time and that thing can jam. The overdrive isn't all that great but I push a Boss DS-2 Turbo through it and it sounds great. For what I have over here, the situation I'm in, limited materials I can get, that crate v18 exceeded all expectations!! But if you can't get it, the cube is pretty good too. It isn't all that clean but for practice and if you are just gonna be distorting it anyways no biggey.
MY GEAR:

ESP LTD MH-50 W/ TREMOLO
ROLAND CUBE 15X
BOSS DS-2 TURBO DISTORTION
Dunlop Ultrex Jazz III
NEW: Dunlop Dimebag Crybaby from Hell
NEW: EHX: Small Clone Chorus Pedal
Quote by bestscorer
yes but the distortion on fender amps usually isn't that good for metal, at least for my personal experience. laney on the other hand has a decent overdrive even on small tube amps and a nice low end. in general a small tube amp is weak on low end distortion and u don't get that nice rich and full overdrive like u do on bigger amps. in ur budget crate offers a good selection of small tube amps with good overdrive

well im gonna use my gt 8 thru it (mentioned in the first post..) and last i remember the crate weighed something like 25 or so pounds.... damn im really confused now..