Hello UGers.

Recently in the Chicago area, we had some heavy rains and flooding. My little area by O'Hare airport was hit harder than it has been in the past 20 years. Many people's basements we flooded completely, many houses have been destroyed. It's no Katrina or Houston situation, but for Chicago - it's pretty bad.

OK - from bad to good.

My bud Mark used to play guitar, drums, keys etc. He doesn't anymore, hasn't played in 4 years and has no interest anymore whatsoever. In his completely flooded basement sits a 70's era musicman 4x10 guitar amp. The insurance company has already given him a check for his losses, including the amp.
Mark knows I'm an "amplifle", last night he asks me, "when are you coming to pick up the musicman?" I about shat myself. I mean, I always kid that I'm going to come steal it and stuff, and he's wavered about selling it to me cheap but I never thought he was serious. He said he got paid for it and doesn't need it and is moving.... Come n get it.

So...

It was under water for about 4 days. It's drying out now but that could take a while, ok fine. I'm initially thinking pull the chassis and make a 1x15 or 2x12 combo out of it. I realize I need to clean it up and get it dried, but what else? It will be my first amp "project" and I have a good tech but wanted to know what UGers think I should do with it and why. Do you think the cab will be completely shot? Are the speakers going to be toast? I'm kind of assuming they will be but don't know.

Your thoughts?

Thanks for reading.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
try building and customizing. i think you could turn it into somethin sweet, but i'm fresh outta help.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
wow

sorry about flooding btw - yeah it's been rough. I thought at first you were going to tell us something of yours had been under water. I need to re-read. Is it worth it right - is your question. Is it like this but a 4x12 combo?

wut Leo who?

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/msg/833513097.html
Moisture is kryptonite to speakers, so they're probably done. If you can get inside the chassis & blow it out with compressed air (very carefully), that may accelerate the drying process. I'd pull each tube & hit the sockets w/ air also. Just be certain everything is dry befor you fire it up. Good luck, man.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
The speakers will likely be toast, along with the pots being dirty now beyond contact cleaner's ability to replair. You should be able to clean up most of the amp with Scotch Bright electronic cleaning pads (don't use steel wool!) and resolder some joints. The transformers however will likely be shot as well. This could be your biggest issue, as I would imagine they are going to be hard to find.
Yeah your speakers will be shoot, I would take the amp completly apart and let it dry for a few days. The cab is probably shoot as well since ussually water+wood= warping, but since it a 70's model I quite sure it will be ply wood, so it might be alright, the tolex will probably come off as well.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Thanks guys - I appreciate the input. I'm going to open it up and get it dry. I figured the speakers and cab would be toast, I just wasn't sure if the chassis/amp portion would be or not.

But I'm figuring for free - it's got potential. Would make a badass 1x15 combo if I can revive it.

Edit: 311 - yes it's like that but a 4x10 combo.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Sep 19, 2008,
Dude, leave it as a 4x10 and put some epic Jensens or EV's in it...

But it should still work when it's dry. The only thing that would screw the cab is if it's moldy, i would think.
Quote by gregs1020
Thanks guys - I appreciate the input. I'm going to open it up and get it dry. I figured the speakers and cab would be toast, I just wasn't sure if the chassis/amp portion would be or not.

But I'm figuring for free - it's got potential. Would make a badass 1x15 combo if I can revive it.

Edit: 311 - yes it's like that but a 4x10 combo.

At least it's an amp worth putting some effort into. A friend of mine had one in the early '80s, & it sounded pretty good actually.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by riffhog
At least it's an amp worth putting some effort into. A friend of mine had one in the early '80s, & it sounded pretty good actually.

They are great amps, I have played a couple - both were sweet. And for the cost of a little tech time and such - cha ching.

^^Goolz, yea if the cab is fine I will just do that. (Maybe the wear will add mojo!) I don't think it will be moldy because we are drying it out but you never know. Thanks bro.

I am picking it up tonight or tomorrow so pics to follow. Mark told me he may have some other stuff too, we will see.
If you have to ditch the cab, why not make it a head and get a few cabs to play it through?

Then you can get a 1x15, a 2x12 and a 4x10, for flexibility.
Quote by imgooley
If you have to ditch the cab, why not make it a head and get a few cabs to play it through?

+1, this is a great idea.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by imgooley

That crossed my mind too, if the cab is in fact shot. I'm kind of a combo guy but having a MM head and a "cab to be named later" does appeal to me.
The cab would also be great to run your other amps into as well for a different sound. It would always be there for the stray bassman that you might stumble upon.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
The cab would also be great to run your other amps into as well for a different sound. It would always be there for the stray bassman that you might stumble upon.

If I stumble onto any more amps I'm going to have to start selling some. This thing is just falling into my lap so I have to see what I can make out of it.

Thanks again for the input people, I appreciate it!
Quote by gregs1020
If I stumble onto any more amps I'm going to have to start selling some. This thing is just falling into my lap so I have to see what I can make out of it.

Thanks again for the input people, I appreciate it!

Hook me up if you stumble on any in the not so distant future (i.e. when I have money).