Hi,

First thread so I hope it's in the right place.

I've only ever had single effect pedals, mostly Boss and a few Zvex but recently been looking into the big effects boards. I always had the impression that because there was so much crammed into the board a comparably low price to single pedals, the effects in the board were of lower quality but hearing someone jam with one in the local music shop that was not the case.

So disregarding price range, anyone recommend any decent boards or give me any more info or experiences with them.

Cheers,
Ben
Quote by thelastknight
Hi,

First thread so I hope it's in the right place.

I've only ever had single effect pedals, mostly Boss and a few Zvex but recently been looking into the big effects boards. I always had the impression that because there was so much crammed into the board a comparably low price to single pedals, the effects in the board were of lower quality but hearing someone jam with one in the local music shop that was not the case.

So disregarding price range, anyone recommend any decent boards or give me any more info or experiences with them.

Cheers,
Ben

you heard wrong, it is the case..............imo

best bet would be the GT8/10 or the nova thing

maybe TC electronics too

they'd be ok for modulation, delay reverb etc but stay away from amp modelling and overdrive/distortion patches if you have a tube amp
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Depends on what you need.
Styles?
Specific effects wanted?

I think the general consensus around here is that individual effects are more desirable.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
First, thanks the replies.

I'll have to look into the 'GT8/10' in more detail then.

In my pedal line up at the moment i've got a Boss DD3 (Delay), MT-2 (Distortion but it's modded to get rid of that hissy/no-mid sound), MXR Phase 90 and a Whammy pedal.

I'm playing through a Peavey Valve King.

It seems like post people have them in their set up and just makes you think am I doing the right thing by limiting myself to these pedals.
thats a boss GT-8 and its replacement the GT-10 im talking about

you have a decent setup there, if you wanted like chorus/reverb/flanger/tuner all in one box then it might be an option, but i'd keep your stomps too

the Korg AX-1500 or AX-3000 might be worth a look too
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Single pedals *USUALLY* allow for more specific tweaking of effects, as well as a bit easier to pick and choose combinations. The more expensive multi-effect pedal boards are better for picking and choosing but it's really your own choice. The multis are easier to transport and house everything in one thing, but the single pedals allow more freedom and more unique tone because you can tweak just about everything including the order that you have the pedals set up in.

Just try out both and see which one suits YOU better.
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Trace Elliot straight cab
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
the thing is that a lot of these all in one multi-effects things are very cheap for a reason. the more expensive ones can be very nice, but often will have things you dont use/want. something with very nice modulation effects like reverb, delay, phasers and such will be great. however, most people find that the amp modeling that some offer isnt all that great, and i dont like when they have digital distortions, as i dont like the sound.

so basicly you have your tradeoff. with single pedals you can get something that does exactly what you want, but with a multi-effect board you can have more options and save space. as long as you stick with something that is well built and sounds good to you then you have to decide which is better for you.