Page 1 of 3
As strong and alive as it was since the 60's up to the late 80's?

In the words of Duff McKagan: 'America Isn't Very Rock 'N' Roll Anymore'

I concur with him that right now Rock is well 6 feet under, why exaclty? It was probably one of the greatest music genres, it had a bit of all the things that kicked: (great music, attitude, performance, feeling etc.) all the way to your average Rock N' Roll cliches (sex, drugs & rock n' roll).

We were on the right path till the late 80's, then What The Fcuk happen? Its like if we are having a journey back into cavemen era.

I, as a hard rocker at heart believe that eventually something will happen, rock will come back again, maybe it will be re-born, its not an utopia people! Im sick of the mainstream shit that governs our people, yes there are a "couple" of good groups out there, trying to still kick it... but remember Rock n' Roll was a phenomena, an event, a generation, an attitude it was way more than music!

Now the question pit... Do you believe Rock will come back or evolve yet once more?
UG's most Die Hard Rock n' Roller, hands down.

Sex, Drugs & Rock n' Roll.
Because it's all been done Dx

And thanks to a lot of elitism, a lot of bands who are trying to bring back good rock and roll are being cited as being copycats and simply stealing the sound of past bands.
The Pit. The Movie.
who cares? there's plenty of rock music still
Quote by pimpinazndude
^ wut he said

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
Of course.

Thrash metal-esque bands are all the rage ATM (Machine Head, Trivium, etc.).

In fact, at this very moment, classic rock-esque bands are starting to become the next thing (Black Stone Cherry, etc.).

So yeah, rock will be the next big "mainstream" thing quite soon - a few years maybe.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quoting Shinedown from last night "When they (interviewers) ask us if rock is dead, we will tell them to look at the crowds at the show and tell them...ROCK LOOKS VERY ALIVE RIGHT NOW!!!!" *Insert loud screams and cheers*
Probably not, as far as I can tell in most societies there is a very big mix of music at the forefront so rock doesn't really need to take over, it would be nice if it was a bit more mainstream.
Quote by BadgeMan
who cares? there's plenty of rock music still

I ****ing care. And there isn't enough Rock music... what kind of statement is that?

What we need is a musical revolution, a renaissance perhaps.

There are other good types of music you know...
TO = used for expressing motion or direction toward a point, person, place, or thing approached and reached, as opposed to from

TWO = the number 2

TOO = in addition; also; furthermore; to an excessive extent or degree
Quote by Hot_Money420
Quoting Shinedown from last night "When they (interviewers) ask us if rock is dead, we will tell them to look at the crowds at the show and tell them...ROCK LOOKS VERY ALIVE RIGHT NOW!!!!" *Insert loud screams and cheers*

good answer
Quote by Jackolas
You are my favorite August 08er, sir!

One day, when the time has come,
The truth will shine, we'll never run.
We both know just how feel,
I'm praying to god that this is real.
Rock and Roll is alive and well. Quit trying to bury the living.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
why would anybody want rock to be more mainstream. Look at how much tickets to mainstream rap or pop concerts cost. Does everybody want to pay 80 bucks for nose bleed seats in 30,000 seat arenas to see their favorite bands. I don't. I'm perfectly fine with paying 15 or 20 bucks to see a band in a venue that only holds maybe 1000 people.
This is my theory:
We are now in the early stages of the "Guitar Hero Generation" of music. More people's eyes are being opened to classic rock 'n roll music and because of that more bands will start using that real rock sound. I personally know quite a few good guitarists who were turned onto the scene by Guitar Hero and what they are doing is playing songs from the 60's and 70's, as well as writing songs with that sound to it. It will come back, and it will be great.

Again, just my theory. Please don't flame me for it
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Seems as though metal and rock are coming back in to the mainstream lately, as posted above, trivium, metallica at No.1 on the charts, bullet for my valentine. I think Rock and metal will make a comeback soon.
"Classic rock" will never have the same appeal it did, nor will big band jazz, acoustic blues, or any past genres. They've been done and music is constantly evolving. Other kinds of rock are prominent now -- the garage band boom of the early 2000s has inspired a whole new generation, while electronic rock (ex.Mute Math), alternative arena rock/"nu-prog" (ex. Muse), art rock (ex. Radiohead) and soft rock (ex.Coldplay) are all well known in the mainstream.
Music moves on. Truth is you'll never see "true rock 'n roll" bands in the top 50 because it's been done before, and was outlived.

You don't see any waltz or foxtrot in the charts anymore.

Record companies don't want to sign on bands that are like thousands of other bands, 20 years ago. They're looking to either; create something new, and hope it becomes popular, or to extort something of current popularity.
Quote by Natrone
This is my theory:
We are now in the early stages of the "Guitar Hero Generation" of music. More people's eyes are being opened to classic rock 'n roll music and because of that more bands will start using that real rock sound. I personally know quite a few good guitarists who were turned onto the scene by Guitar Hero and what they are doing is playing songs from the 60's and 70's, as well as writing songs with that sound to it. It will come back, and it will be great.

Again, just my theory. Please don't flame me for it

+1

I also believe guitar hero will have a major say in the future.
Quote by orangefloyd
I ****ing care. And there isn't enough Rock music... what kind of statement is that?

What we need is a musical revolution, a renaissance perhaps.

It's a true statement. You're obviously not looking for music hard enough if you think that there's no more rock music.

Just because a certain type of music isn't in the eyes of the popular mainstream doesn't mean it's dead.

Try looking for music before you say there isn't any out there.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
it won't retern to its former glory untill "camp" and "rock" are never used in the same sentence EVER again.
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
ITT: "I can't find music I like on MTV so I'm going to whine about it"
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
I dont think theres anything particularly innovative coming out of rock recently, just a load of bands trying to be progressive and innovative etc.

Its not dead, its just not particularly exciting me recently.
Quote by orangefloyd
Rock n' Roll was a...generation
I think you just answered your question.

But in my opinion, it never died. See FallenAngel20's post.
Quote by Grundy0
Never forget what really matters in life, friends and family.
Team Pale Yellow?
------m-------m------
| | (oo) | |
||(~)||

Mom <3
Rock music has not and never will "die", it has never been mainstream and shows no signs of ever being so. If you can't find good rock music then your obviously lazy as hell as you only have to google for rock radios and your bound to find something that sparks an interest. As for the whole guitar hero turning people onto classic rock, utter rubbish. I see just as many people walking about in Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Stones etc tops as I ever have. You seem to be forgetting that people used to listen to the radio which played it. Same old shit, different media.
I think a genre similar to grunge will rise up fairly soon, because if you think about it, this decade is rather similar to the 80s, and musicians such as ourselves are getting fed up, so its really only a matter of time.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by slaptasticdave
I think a genre similar to grunge will rise up fairly soon, because if you think about it, this decade is rather similar to the 80s, and musicians such as ourselves are getting fed up, so its really only a matter of time.

So we'll form an insignificant genre that hardly changed anything?
Quote by DanRev

No, we'll form a genre centred around people with depression and drug addictions.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by break-me-in
No, we'll form a genre centred around people with depression and drug addictions.

Modern "Indie Emo" ?
Quote by DanRev

It didn't change anything? I disagree, it gave about 10 years of decent music before the current mainstream took over. Its impact would have been even bigger if Pearl Jam didn't destroy their own fame, Soundgarden didn't break up, and Layne and Kurt didn't kill themselves.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
I'm really into 60's/70's rock and there isn't much modern music I like at all so in one respect I would love if it became more mainstream again.

However I hate it when people 'jump on the band wagon' and like a band or style of music just because their friends like it or because of one song - basically a fad. It makes me feel better knowing that I like a band or artist because I'm genuinely into them and know alot about them because of this - not just saying a love a band because of one single, not only this but I know that alot of modern music will not stand the test of time - think about a song or band that was fairly big a few years ago at the time but know is never heard,- we know that the music we like is appreciated as much today as when it was released, the only difference is now there are only the true fans!
Interesting and diverse opinions.

1. If looking under a rock for good music fits you, be happy.

2. Rock wasnt just a generation, it was various generations.

3. I would gladly pay the cost to watch my favourite rock band in a Stadium/bar/Dive, whatever it takes.

4. Rock evolved into what... Coldplay? Seriously, bands like Audioslave, RHCP, FOB, Velvet Revolver and Paramore are out there kicking it.

5. I concur with the theory that Rock n' Roll has the potential to make a good "comeback", take the example of Guitar Hero... I've seen many people (specially kids) dropping whatever they used to listen and start listening and enjoying hard rock. It's a good thing man!

rock has exhausted itself, there is nothing more to do in that genre in its traditional form, the only way to move it forward is to add weird genre hybridisations like nu metal and metalcore
Quote by RoamingConflict
This one dream involved me, one random girl, midgets and a pie.

...and midgets ended up f*cking her. I got the pie.

Quote by Spay
Because it's all been done Dx

And thanks to a lot of elitism, a lot of bands who are trying to bring back good rock and roll are being cited as being copycats and simply stealing the sound of past bands.

+1

A band that tries to bring back rock and roll will be slammed by others as being unoriginal and stealing from their influences. I hope that this mentality changes.
"They say rock n' roll is dead well not while I'm alive it ain't" - Liam Gallagher

"It is the spectator, and not life, that art really mirrors." - Oscar Wilde

Quote by JackalUK
Modern "Indie Emo" ?

Nah, they write about depression (sometimes) but they're not actually depressed. We need some rockstars who will paint the wall with their brains at the drop of a hat.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by Vermintide
This is why I like metal. It will simply never die, just get heavier and faster.

Eventually you won't be able to hear it.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Rock has gone nowhere. Music has always been diverse. Top 40 radio stations are the same now as they have ever been. People are crying about the '60s - '80s being a golden age of some sort. Bullshit. Rock shared room with disco, country and Motown with out any body getting all worked up over it.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by STPilots17
+1

A band that tries to bring back rock and roll will be slammed by others as being unoriginal and stealing from their influences. I hope that this mentality changes.

It's happened with Airbourne, Buckcherry, and Avenged Sevenfold

They make perfectly good music but are slammed for being 'unoriginal'

Sorry if they were born during the wrong time period >.>
The Pit. The Movie.
Actually, I find rock and roll is on the uprising even now. The whole rap culture is going under now.
Page 1 of 3