Have asked this on another forum but not to much response, wondered if you guys could help me out.

Basically I am looking to build a les paul style guitar

a) Having read Melyvyn Hicocks fantastic book, I am still not sure how the les paul scale length works. If the scale length is 24 9/16" why is it sometimes listed as 24 3/4"? Although I believe this is supposedly the compensation string length i am not entirely sure what this is anyway.

b) When calculating the neck angle, do I asume that the bridge is at its lowest point, and that the strings are touching the frets?

c) do I route the pickups etc. before carving the top, and could someone give me the average body thickness, top thickness at edege and middle, and the width at top, middle and end of a 59' les paul? would be much appreciated if possible!

Thanks in advance!
A. It's 24.75" from the centre of the nut, to the intonation centre - an imaginary line running pretty much parallel to the bridge. The actual length of the strings to each saddle will be slightly different, to allow for intonation. Also, bear in mind that there are a variety of common scale lengths you could build to, and you should choose one based on personal preference. That's the whole point of building a custom guitar.

B. Yes

C. Yes, route before carving the top, otherwise you won't have a stable base for the router. I have no idea about the measurements.
I remember reading about the scale length, I think the 24 9/16 is a more accurate measurement of the scale length Gibson uses or something...

The strings are NOT touching the frets, the strings are at the action you desire through out your fretboard.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Ok thanks guys- absent mind, sorry, I should have made myself more clear-

When drawing out the neck angle on my plans, should I assume that the bridge is at its lowest, and the strings touching the frets so when the guitar is built, the bridge height on the guitar can then be adjusted to create the required action?
Quote by xcrossx
Ok thanks guys- absent mind, sorry, I should have made myself more clear-

When drawing out the neck angle on my plans, should I assume that the bridge is at its lowest, and the strings touching the frets so when the guitar is built, the bridge height on the guitar can then be adjusted to create the required action?

That's what I did, kind of. I recessed my bridge far enough to allow lowering to the point where the strings all touched the frets, then an extra millimetre or so to account for the posts.
Ok thanks,
also, if the nut- bridge length is 24.75" is this what I enter into fret calculator, or do i enter 24 9/16" to allow for compensation?
Yeah sorry you could do it that way, then you would be sure that you could always lower the action, but you also pretty much garuntee that the TOM will not sit in its lowest position (and some people like hardware coupling, tone voodoo etc)

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man