Does a person's taste in music and clothes reflect their personality?

Page 1 of 2
So lately we've been hearing a lot about how some brainy people in white coats have done research and found out that people's taste in music reflects their personality which a lot of ye don't quite agree with.

But i'm asking is it really true to an extent how we stereotype people based on their clothes and the music they listen to.
Like scene kids are annoying and like to be dramatic.
Emo's have no self esteem.
Fall Out Boy fans are all 16 yr old emo girls.
Indie girls are kinda artistic.

I've been told a lot about how saying "i like indie chicks" or "i like chicks who listen to rock/metal" is stupid cuz their dressing and taste in music has no relation to their personality. But i've always failed to agree.

So what do you guys think. Does a person's taste in music and their clothes reflect their personality??
it reflects there taste

and like there music and clothes are related through one or another...they reflect eachother...but it doesnt reflect personality its taste
Quote by jsbud11
Dude your leetness is maximum.
Seriously if you leave UG without becoming a mod, I will kill someone.
Quote by Devopast
This is turning into fap-to-amazingfretman's-love-a-thon
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7598549.stm

There was a thread of this a time ago, I thought I saw you post in it but perhaps I was wrong.
Quote by Brunnis Jetrel, Eve-Search Forums
oh the good old days of launching strawberries at point blank range into people's faces with a ballista... brings back mammaries

Quote by SkyValley
Kick your OWN ass before he has a chance to get to it.

Clicky --->
Obviously.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
No. I listen to anarcho punk and dress in expensive clothes (most recent jacket cost me 110, which is relatively cheap compared to the jackets I want to buy).

The two are independant of each other to me. When I recently showed this little grebby kid some The Dils songs on my phone he was suprised that I listened to rock music at all.
Quote by Wigert
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7598549.stm

There was a thread of this a time ago, I thought I saw you post in it but perhaps I was wrong.

If you read the thread this is what i referred to towards the start of the thread.

I'm asking if its really true to an extent or not?

Like do the kind of clothes you wear and the music you listen to really reflect the kind of person you are??
Yeah, it typically does.

Each music scene has its own identity and culture that the listeners tend to adopt as their own and define themselves with
My friend looks like an indie boy and will only listen to death metal. I look kinda emo but hate anything that sings or does those bitchy emo screams.

DEATH GROWLS PLS
no.
Quote by af_the_fragile
If you read the thread this is what i referred to towards the start of the thread.

I'm asking if its really true to an extent or not?

Well if it's a study?
Quote by Brunnis Jetrel, Eve-Search Forums
oh the good old days of launching strawberries at point blank range into people's faces with a ballista... brings back mammaries

Quote by SkyValley
Kick your OWN ass before he has a chance to get to it.

Clicky --->
I wear skinny bastard Topman clothes, and listen to The Sawtooth Grin.

Are they connected?
Many people who like metal, usually have a metal band t-shirt.
Or they dress up as metal as they can!
You won't see a tr00 br00tal metal listener wearing hip hop threads.

Depends really, we do message alot about ourselves through our clothing, be it what we want to message or not.
Clothes: yes
Music: No

I like everything from Scofield to Children of Bodom and I wear jeans and a hooded sweatshirt every day.
hue
Quote by treflip
I wear skinny bastard Topman clothes, and listen to The Sawtooth Grin.

Are they connected?

Maybe in some complex esoteric psychological way???

But i did notice most people who listen to rock/metal dress up differently from people who listen to the radio basically....
I listen to metal and wear metal band t-shirts most of the time. And jeans, which isn't typical, most metalheads wear black combat-style trousers. And I wear Vans. But I'm a nice person (I like to think).

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

well i find with some people they feel the should listen to music and dress a particular way that goes with tat music, too fit in i guess, its up too you what you wanna do and in a sense it does reflect your personality

me personally i tend to follow trends and dress ratehr stylishly but im the opposite with music, can't stand trendy music

it's all good though
Quote by m4l666
I listen to metal and wear metal band t-shirts most of the time. And jeans, which isn't typical, most metalheads wear black combat-style trousers. And I wear Vans. But I'm a nice person (I like to think).

Sorry mate, you're a very stereotypical metalhead.

wtf? lol

thats bolloks

"Ein Herz von flimmernden Hirngespinsten,
Ohne Halt und ohne Boden.
Feuer des Winters,
Herr der Träume,
Vater aller Türen: Öffne!"
Paysage d'Hiver - Ich schreite
Well I think the problem with the article was that they weren't clear on what they meant.

Because for some people self esteem can viewed differently. For example you could be a shy kid who doesn't like to talk to strangers but have dozens of friends and consider yourself having high self esteem.

Also I want to know what they meant by "outgoing." Becuase we had a bunch of people here who listen to "metal" and said they were outgoing. But did the researchers say who you hang out with? It could be that those who listen to metal like to be outgoing with others who listen to the same kind of music and yet you're not considered to be outgoing becuase you don't hang out with different types of people constantly.

But this is just a thought. Don't kill me.
i wear jeans and a long overcoat........i must be a terreryst!!!
Quote by MeRcI-BuCkEtS
Evolve?

Evolve Festival 2007: Aug. 2nd, 3rd & 4th!!!
Evolve Festival 2008: July 25th, 26th & 27th!!!
Evolve Festival 2009: July 17th, 18th & 19th!!!
Sunflower Valley
Antigonish, Nova Scotia
www.evolvefestival.com
Quote by Jonny92

wtf? lol

thats bolloks

Just what some people say.
They like to arts, watch arty movies, dress up in bright arty colors.
Kinda ya see...

Its a stereotype like the emo n scene kids.
What if I wear casual shirts and jeans?

What does that say about me?
Opie and Anthony Fan
XM 202 | SIRIUS 197
Linger Longer
Quote by Liam.

It means you're casual?
Hard to tel innit, me, i absolutly sex up metal, meaning i love it.

my clothes generally are a pare of normal size waist length bottom width etc (non baggy/halfway down your ass stuff) and T-Shirts, the kind that silly little things like "im with her ->"

my personaltiy is rather chilled out, yet i can be easily annoyed or upset, im genearlly a twat but fairly social.

you decide
"
I listen to indie/grunge/alternative etc, and dress completley normally. None of this indie kid bollocks, its all shit. Alot of its just stereotyping.
D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

tight jeans, tight shirt, long overcoat and black boots, who am i? :O
Quote by MeRcI-BuCkEtS
Evolve?

Sunflower Valley
Antigonish, Nova Scotia
www.evolvefestival.com
uh, yeah man. music and clothes are decided by your personal taste in music and clothes. So obviously their reflections of taste.
But Im not violent because I listen to Pantera. Im not anarchist because I listen to the Sex Pistols. And Im not homosexual because I listen to Queen. XP
Quote by af_the_fragile

I've been told a lot about how saying "i like indie chicks" or "i like chicks who listen to rock/metal" is stupid cuz their dressing and taste in music has no relation to their personality. But i've always failed to agree.

I always figured that meant in terms of appearance.

And stereotypes are there for a reason. A lot of them aren't like that, but a particular style of dress or stereotype will generally attract a particular type of person.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Well, let's see here...

I'm content with a pair of worn in jeans and a plain white t shirt. I mean, I wear other things, but I could easily get along with that. I'm not sure if it reflects my personality or not... I mean, the music I listen to has no real effect on the way people see me, or how I act.

af, I think it's psychological. I also believe that music+clothes+personality are also heavily impacted by who you associate yourself with. For instance, a little whiny emo kid hangs out with a mass of other whiny emo kids, and thus, they dress alike and have the same favourite (and also terrible) bands. Perhaps this one kid is completely different when he's around his family or whatever, and quite different around his friends. Who knows? I'm fairly certain that the people of today feel they have to stand up for their music, by acting the way their bands do, and dressing the way they do, so their "personality" is drastically changed depending on their surroundings (which is by no means any good, seeing as you can make people hate you that way; you're nice one second, and a complete douche the next).

I dunno, just ramblin'...
Well, taste is a part of personality, so I'll go with a yes.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Yes, yes it does. Wether you like it or not, people tend to outwardly display their personalities a lot.

For example, would you rather go for a generic blonde hair and blue jeans fashionable girl, or one who dresses a little more unique? The choice is easy, for me at least. 90% of the time the fashionable chick will be a vapid whore, whereas the "alternative" girl will at least have a sense of personality, no matter how cliched.

Yes, there are exceptions to every rule, but first impressions can be far more accurate than people consider. I am aware this post is just about as sweeping a generalisation as I could possibly make, but that's tough shit.
Quote by T.Rextacy
tight jeans, tight shirt, long overcoat and black boots, who am i? :O

Rapist, Serial Killer??

Quote by Vermintide
Yes, yes it does. Wether you like it or not, people tend to outwardly display their personalities a lot.

For example, would you rather go for a generic blonde hair and blue jeans fashionable girl, or one who dresses a little more unique? The choice is easy, for me at least. 90% of the time the fashionable chick will be a vapid whore, whereas the "alternative" girl will at least have a sense of personality, no matter how cliched.

Well you see.

Like I dress up in kinda surfer/skater clothes. (Quiksilver, Billabong, Vans etc)
And this is cuz i feel i'm a very adventurous person myself. I ride BMX bikes and go climbing, i love extreme sports.
I also listen to music that i feel i can connect with.
Like a lot of stuff from NIN, i can truly connect to. I also notice there are freakish similarities between me and Trent Reznor and his music.
Then i listen to punk/fast music cuz it appeals to the adventurous side of me.
I listen to stuff like Thrice and Tool cuz it appeals to the more scientific, philosophical side of me.

So like you see, my clothing and my taste in music reflect a lot of who i really am.
Or so i believe.

So i just wanted to know if this is true with everyone else too...
Last edited by af_the_fragile at Sep 19, 2008,
Quote by af_the_fragile
Rapist, Serial Killer??

whichever one you want me to be
Quote by MeRcI-BuCkEtS
Evolve?

Sunflower Valley
Antigonish, Nova Scotia
www.evolvefestival.com
Its tough for me, i have very diverse taste in music, and to an extent, clothes too.

Wait, i asked my family/girlfriend, they say that my tastes do mirror myself to an extent.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Quote by Vermintide

Yes, there are exceptions to every rule, but first impressions can be far more accurate than people consider. I am aware this post is just about as sweeping a generalisation as I could possibly make, but that's tough shit.

Yeah that's how I feel - It's true in general , obviously there's some exceptions.
I wear smart shirts, black/beige smart trousers and a suit almost always. I listen to a lot of Chinese pop (C-pop), American mellow/alternative acoustic and country music. I don't think what I listen to affects what I wear.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by Liam.

Whats a "casual" shirt?

It means you're casual?

Matters what your definition of casual means.
I think those stereotypes exist because people try (conciously or not) to fit in with those stereotypes so they can be part of a subculture. My music taste doesn't reflect my personality or style of clothing at all.
Usually. My psychology professor dresses like he's trying out to replace Steve (or whoever the new guy is) on Blue's Clues, but he loves metal (mostly thrash).
Page 1 of 2