Right, so I've been somewhat dissapointed with the tone from my Mesa F30 as of late, so I've been casually looking through new amps. There's a possibility I might be able to secure a Rivera Knucklehead 55 for $700 or less... would that be a horrible idea?

I'm at boarding school right now so my rig's kind of in limbo, but I've got a Gibson Les Paul Studio running through my F30 right now, and my Jackson SL3 is currently up for sale, soon to be replaced with some kind of Tele. I figure for the time being, I can use the money I make from the Jackson to go towards the Knucklehead, then use my F30 as a cab until I can sell it, then use what I make from selling the F30 to buy a decent 2x12 and something like a Lite Ash Tele.

I play a lot of different genres, but right now I'm playing mostly metalcore, prog metal, melodeath, post- hardcore... stuff like COB, As I Lay Dying, Symphony X, Into Eternity, The Devil Wears Prada, and the Human Abstract; but also some classic rock and blues, and I play in the school Jazz Combo as well.

So, horrible idea? Or an opportunity to go from an OK rig to a massively br00talz rig of doom? Opinions on the Knucklehead?
I'm not going to be cranking it on a regular basis, but I'm looking at starting a band here so yeah, I'll hopefully have a few opportunities to at least take the master volume to a respectable level.
what aspect of the tone of the F-30 are you disappointed with?
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
The worst mistake you are making is selling your SL3. In my opinion it completely owns your LP and its also better suited for metal.
Quote by theoreticmusic
what aspect of the tone of the F-30 are you disappointed with?

I'd like it to have a good bit more gain on tap, and I'm growing less and less fond of the general voicing... feels more like a hard rock amp than a metal amp to me.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
The worst mistake you are making is selling your SL3. In my opinion it completely owns your LP and its also better suited for metal.

Nah, I'm not really a fan of the tone I get with my SL3. No matter how much EQ-ing I do, I can't get it to sound as big and fat as the LP, it just sounds thin and lifeless in comparison, plus the FR is more trouble than it's worth to me. On the other hand, I love the metal tone I've been able to get with Teles in the past- nice, punchy, and bright.
Okay, that's fair. The knucklehead should do well.

By the way, I have the (exact) same guitar as you. Alpine Studio. And I highly recommend the pickup swap I made, especially for metal. I just sold my telecaster because the EMG's do the same tones, but arguably better, and with no hum.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.