Ok, so, I've been playing guitar for a long time, but have never really taken the time to learn and understand the many effects that are available out there, aside from the basics. I have a few pedals, but most of the effects I can access directly from my amp. I have a ton of options but I don't know how to use them.

My biggest problem is that I know how I want my tone to sound, but I don't know which effects to use, or how to adjust those effects, to get my desired outcome.

I really just need a crash course, can anyone help me out?
EDIT: I read the last bit, and I think it might help you to look through the stickied thread in GG&A on amps and effects, where there is a section explaining various effects. Then ask questions if that doesn't really help.

RE-EDIT: Here

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278232
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Last edited by monkey_dancer at Sep 19, 2008,
Thanks, I will do that. I asked a mod already if there were other threads about it so didn't mean to repeat.
Quote by BBB_123
Thanks, I will do that. I asked a mod already if there were other threads about it so didn't mean to repeat.

Oh, I didn't mean it like that. I'm just not really sure what you're asking!
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
the idea i got from your PM was that you seem to know what individual effects do for the most part, just not so much how to combine them or achieve exactly what you want. the FAQ has some nice example of styles/songs for individual effects, but its hard to say what combinations are like.

so if youve got an example of something you are interested in then post a link to a clip and someone will help you figure out whats going on there.
Ok, I checked out that post. I know everything in there. I'm more interested in things like (and bare with me because I'm not at home next to my amp):

-Different cab setup simulations (2x12, vs 4x12, vs 2x10, etc) and how they change the tone
-What noisegate is
-How to use effects like chorus, tremolo, delay, etc, together and effectively
-How to take off certain tonal qualities such as a really scratchy tone where every time you touch the guitar you get feedback, vs. how to loosen up really tight distortion

-A great example is that I've got a few metallica tones preset in the amp, one of which is Kurt's lead tone, but it sounds incredibly "far away", and changing between channels when using that tone makes it sound silly.

I was kind of looking for a list of, "If you want x, then use y effect, at z setting."
For example, after reading that last post, I discovered that you can drop the mids to get a better medal tone. I had no clue lol.
Quote by jof1029
the idea i got from your PM was that you seem to know what individual effects do for the most part, just not so much how to combine them or achieve exactly what you want. the FAQ has some nice example of styles/songs for individual effects, but its hard to say what combinations are like.

so if youve got an example of something you are interested in then post a link to a clip and someone will help you figure out whats going on there.

Yeah I read through that post with all the artists and their high/mid/low/gain levels. That was definately helpful. And you definately get what I'm after. I suppose your idea of posting clips is the best way to go about it. I'll do that, thanks!