Page 1 of 2
I've noticed some people judge how much they like a band by how mainstream they are. Some people will say if a band isn't real famous then they aren't worth listening to, and some people like bands less because everyone has heard of them. I will say that I've noticed bands that have seemed to have gotten worse whenever they have became famous. Your opinions?
Anything mainstream usually sucks because most people are idiots and they gobble stupid stuff up like a pig eating shit.

I don't dislike a band because they are popular though. I like Led Zeppelin and Dragonforce.
It's not that people hate them because they get popular, it's that people start to hate them because they change to get popular.

Not saying Metallica wasn't popular before the Black Album, but without it they wouldn't be as big as they are today.
"I don't care if I fall as long as someone else picks up my gun and keeps on shooting."
i think music is music and i couldnt care less how famous they are
Send me off to bed forevermore.
If I like it I like it. If I don't like it I don't like it. I don't really care who shares my opinion.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by cradleofdude
I've noticed some people judge how much they like a band by how mainstream they are. Some people will say if a band isn't real famous then they aren't worth listening to, and some people like bands less because everyone has heard of them. I will say that I've noticed bands that have seemed to have gotten worse whenever they have became famous. Your opinions?

I've noticed that's a pretty biased way of judging a band. However, many mainstream artists and bands lack creativity and aren't very "challenging" to listen to, which is fine, but after awhile the mind needs something different.
people on this site tend to be high up on themselves for listening to music exclusively 'outside t3h mainstream'

/my observation

personally, i don't care
Last edited by blackflag49 at Sep 19, 2008,
TOTALY TRUE !!
I realy don't like thw way people of my age judge music
I Listen to alot of music which realy few people listen to
( persuader - kalmah - classical music play at guitar - blind guradian ( night at the opera / nighhtfall on the middle earth FTW ! ) and sonata artica
vut all of my friend say it's not popular because it s***
how false !!!
this isn't on the mainstream because it's music ( more than half of the mainstream music is made only with comptuter
and another reason is that they speak about other things than cash . drug , sex and pimp
finaly , the last reason , is that the band I listen to don't make video with half-nude girl
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

I got to warn you for spam though...

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

I witnessed Night Of The Pear 2
I really hate most mainstream music, but that's because mainstream music is lacking of originality.
Gear :
Fender Stratocaster Made in Mexico

Amps :
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Marshall Lead 20
Fender Performer 1000

Quote by blackflag49
people on this site tend to be high up on themselves for listening to music exclusively 'outside t3h mainstream'

/my observation

personally, i don't care

Very observant. I agree.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Nicky Tuna
I really hate most mainstream music, but that's because mainstream music is lacking of originality.

that's what i wanted to say
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

Quote by Jackal58
If I like it I like it. If I don't like it I don't like it. I don't really care who shares my opinion.

tr00f is sp0ken
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Alot of Mainstream isnt bad to be honest. Kings of Leon, The Strokes, MGMT, Bloc Party etc.
mainstream music just has such a mechanical feel to it, like it was all crapped out of the same machine...... maybe because it is?
Gear:

Stinger Smx
Hondo H-1
Fender Classical
Custom Mini Les Paul
60 watt Mega Tube
GNX4 workstation
6 pack of Shiner Bock
It's not bad to be mainstream. Red Hot Chili Peppers, Rage Against the Machine, Incubus, Muse and Alter Bridge are all examples of fairly mainstream bands which are all excellent.

What's bad is a band that's GENERIC.
Honestly, its mostly the other way around. If it is really mainstream, most of the time, its not gonna be as good as a comparable unpopular band. Kinda like (in my opinion) Slipknot, who is super-popular but really not that good (I expect more out of 8 people in a band), compared to a band like Mastodon, who is amazing, but not nearly as popular as Slipknot. Bands do seem to change and stray from their older records, but its mostly just maturing and evolving as a band, which is a good thing to do. Whether they get better or worse is up to the listener.
i agree completely!
i love from coldplay to oceansize, people who judge by genre and whether they've heard of them or not dont understand real music

if you like it, then it must be good music to you. what other people say should affect you, a lot of people critise me for liking jamiroquai, but i love their music and it doesnt bother me what anyone thinks.
Quote by sargasm
I like to draw pictures of penises everywhere.

It makes me feel like a big man.

Proud owner of a fender deluxe player's strat - honey blonde/maple neck Here it is

Member of the Stratocaster Lovers Group
Quote by bender424
TOTALY TRUE !!
I realy don't like thw way people of my age judge music
I Listen to alot of music which realy few people listen to
( persuader - kalmah - classical music play at guitar - blind guradian ( night at the opera / nighhtfall on the middle earth FTW ! ) and sonata artica
vut all of my friend say it's not popular because it s***
how false !!!
this isn't on the mainstream because it's music ( more than half of the mainstream music is made only with comptuter
and another reason is that they speak about other things than cash . drug , sex and pimp
finaly , the last reason , is that the band I listen to don't make video with half-nude girl

how does it being made on a computer make it not music. if you tried writting electronic music, i dont just mean the pop songs, you'll find that it is extremely difficult and precise
Quote by DirtyMakik
Pointless threads like those make me cry my bloody cum out.
Quote by qotsa1998
Honestly, its mostly the other way around. If it is really mainstream, most of the time, its not gonna be as good as a comparable unpopular band. Kinda like (in my opinion) Slipknot, who is super-popular but really not that good (I expect more out of 8 people in a band), compared to a band like Mastodon, who is amazing, but not nearly as popular as Slipknot. Bands do seem to change and stray from their older records, but its mostly just maturing and evolving as a band, which is a good thing to do. Whether they get better or worse is up to the listener.

True words mate, true words =)
Gear :
Fender Stratocaster Made in Mexico

Amps :
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Marshall Lead 20
Fender Performer 1000

For me music is a personal experience, I don't share unless people ask. That way I don't get any abuse hurled at me for listening to "emo screamo" Which I endured for a whole year before I realised what music really meant to me.
It's not a dick waving contest. There's no "My metal > your rap" because it doesn't matter what music means to anyone else.
Quote by willy_99
how does it being made on a computer make it not music. if you tried writting electronic music, i dont just mean the pop songs, you'll find that it is extremely difficult and precise

True. Some of the sounds that radiohead make are made on a computer by Johnny Greenwood.
Quote by bender424
more than half of the mainstream music is made only with comptuter

hey, you're wrong. No way is more than half made with a computer. and you think that a computer isn't a valid form for making music? you ****ing try it. and its 'computer' also.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Quote by willy_99

maybe it's difficult , but it's not a music instrument who make the sound, it's a program
so , by defenition , it's not music
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

Quote by qotsa1998
i'd call mastodon mainstream

they were on mtv ... i think they played at one of those award shows last year .... their songs are on the mainstream rock station here ... and i know about 'em, despite having next to no interest in metal
Quote by bender424
maybe it's difficult , but it's not a music instrument who make the sound, it's a program

I suggest you go look music up in a dictionary then.

So 8-bit songs in nintendo games arent music then?
Quote by Yakult
If I get a boner I generally pass out due to the massive amount of blood having to be redirected from my brain

Quote by DubStar92
I like to video record myself when I'm drunk. It's like a mini-movie. I love fapping to the sex scene.
Quote by aetherspear
hey, you're wrong. No way is more than half made with a computer. and you think that a computer isn't a valid form for making music? you ****ing try it. and its 'computer' also.

yes, I think a computer sould create the music
It can help exemple : recording the guitar, then place the drum line on it and etc..
but when it's CREATED by a computer, this isn't music
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

Quote by bender424
It can help exemple : recording the guitar, then place the drum line on it and etc..
venetian snares > j00
Quote by Trefellin
Anything mainstream usually sucks because most people are idiots and they gobble stupid stuff up like a pig eating shit.

I don't dislike a band because they are popular though. I like Led Zeppelin and Dragonforce.

I agree except for Dragonforce.
Quote by bender424

prove it
I could care less, I listen to some bands that are popular and some bands that are really underground, as long as I like their music, it's cool.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Quote by daeqwon10000
prove it

music instrument make music , that's a fact that we all know
but when it's a computer , we call it a program , not a music instrument
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

If it sounds good I listen to it. **** what people think. I'm listening to music for the music not how popular the music is.

Plus Mainstream music helps me fap. There I said it.
Pink Floyd is Teh Best

Xbox Gamertag = Nick Schro

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high
Quote by bender424
music instrument make music , that's a fact that we all know
but when it's a computer , we call it a program , not a music instrument

9 dictionary results for: music
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
mu·sic /ˈmyuzɪk/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[myoo-zik] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. an art of sound in time that expresses ideas and emotions in significant forms through the elements of rhythm, melody, harmony, and color.
2. the tones or sounds employed, occurring in single line (melody) or multiple lines (harmony), and sounded or to be sounded by one or more voices or instruments, or both.
3. musical work or compositions for singing or playing.
4. the written or printed score of a musical composition.
5. such scores collectively.
6. any sweet, pleasing, or harmonious sounds or sound: the music of the waves.
7. appreciation of or responsiveness to musical sounds or harmonies: Music was in his very soul.

Youre wrong.
Quote by Yakult
If I get a boner I generally pass out due to the massive amount of blood having to be redirected from my brain

Quote by DubStar92
I like to video record myself when I'm drunk. It's like a mini-movie. I love fapping to the sex scene.
Quote by bender424

It's definitely music, and what makes a modeling amp less of a computer than a computer? Would a guitarist with a modeling amp not be making music?
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Quote by Ktool The Girth
9 dictionary results for: music
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
mu·sic /ˈmyuzɪk/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[myoo-zik] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. an art of sound in time that expresses ideas and emotions in significant forms through the elements of rhythm, melody, harmony, and color.
2. the tones or sounds employed, occurring in single line (melody) or multiple lines (harmony), and sounded or to be sounded by one or more voices or instruments, or both.
3. musical work or compositions for singing or playing.
4. the written or printed score of a musical composition.
5. such scores collectively.
6. any sweet, pleasing, or harmonious sounds or sound: the music of the waves.
7. appreciation of or responsiveness to musical sounds or harmonies: Music was in his very soul.

Youre wrong.

no , they said : ''emotion''
how do a computer have emotion ?
i win
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

Quote by bender424
no , they said : ''emotion''
how do a computer have emotion ?
i win

A computer has as much emotion as a guitar. So you lose.
Quote by Yakult

Quote by DubStar92
Quote by StreetLight3989
It's definitely music, and what makes a modeling amp less of a computer than a computer? Would a guitarist with a modeling amp not be making music?

the guitarist with effect is still playing somthing
the guy behind a computer is only clicking of a mouse

the first one can put emotion in what he do
the second one can't
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

Quote by Ktool The Girth

A computer has as much emotion as a guitar. So you lose.

wtf?
a GUY clicking on his mouse behind a computer CAN'T but as much emotion as a guitar PLAYER who speak thrue is guitar
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

Quote by bender424
the guitarist with effect is still playing somthing
the guy behind a computer is only clicking of a mouse

the first one can put emotion in what he do
the second one can't

So whats the difference between a keyboard and a computer that has every key binded to a different note??

The answer - none.
Quote by Yakult

Quote by DubStar92
Page 1 of 2