man i just got done buying a blackstar distx high gain distortion pedal. this thing was waste of money. i compared it side by side with my boss metal zone. i felt blackstar was little more warmth to it but thats about it. i'm going to return it tomorrow because i have to go to work in a few. any suggestions on another high gain pedal, or should i just get my money back and save for high gain amp.
youre playing a telecaster through a valve junior and you wonder why it sounds crap for metal?

jog on.

i'd be tempted to sell the lot and start again tbh.
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
valve jr takes pedals very well. and the tele has hotrodded pickups in it. the bridge is one of those dual rail pickups with humbucker in neck
This is turning into the Dimebuckers in a Tele thread! No matter what you do to a tele, it will still have a distinct lack of sustain, and a lot of spanky attack.
But a valve jr. turned down low isnt gonna sound the same if you crank it. A different amp would likely give you a better sound. And a guitar that isnt naturally nasally, trebly, and chimey, and has dark, warmer humbuckers would probably help.
I agree with the comment on the Blackstar pedals though. Those pedals are dire.
Last edited by Horlicks at Sep 19, 2008,
Wait, so you just bought a pedal without trying it, brought it home and then decided it sucked?

I think the only one here to blame is you.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
i watched many you tube videos on it and read many reviews. from what i read and saw , i thought this pedal would at least outperform my metal zone. like someone said in another post about blackstar its just a warmer can of bees. the craigslist in my area sucks and my next closest option is bugera amps, which crap out alot from what i hear. doesn't leave a guy many options for high gain metal sound on a budget.
I feel for you, in some area's craigslist just doesn't have anything. I would save for a metal amp if I were you. It sounds like an awesome tele to me btw.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I've tested out a few of there pedals and honestly they sound like a warm can of bee's. Even the guy trying to sell them to me admited they sucked pretty bad and apologized lol

And that was using emg's and through a tube amp...
look into a metal muff. and when you use a distortion pedal with a VJ don't use alot of gain on the pedal. more or less your just using the pedal for a metal tone. if you use to much gain on the pedal it's way to buzzy.