Firstly, I'd like to know what effects do bassists usually use in metal, (In thrash stuff like machinehead, metallica, Slayer etc.) And, why is bass inaudible in practically the majority in metal? Surely the heavily distorted electrics have taken up the need for a bassist (I'm not being hypocritical, I'm just trying to make a point), so there wouldn't be any point in one? And if it is inaudible what is the point in it?
You don't hear the bass becausae of the way the guitars are EQ'd.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by VortexOfSouls
Usually distortion or fuzz and a wah pedal. I'm not sure why bass is inaudible though.

I think that was mostly Cliff.....

Usually it's a little overdrive or maybe distortion. Bassists get covered up because the whole band does the class Mid scoop with cranked Lows and Highs. Bass doesn't cut through at all with no Mids and with two guitars with their Lows at 8 or 9 you're ****ed. Not to mention bands usually put bass low in the mix.

EDIT: If you EQ properly you can get a VERY powerful sound with audible bass. In orchestras and such the bass instruments are highly valued because they're the foundation of the sound. Too many people focus on individual sound instead of your sound as a band.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Sep 19, 2008,
Listen to Death Magnetic, Trujillo is a huge part of the sound.

I do agree with you though... having played bass for a long time myself I noticed that unless you are and avid bassist you'rs not hearing the bass in most songs.

On the other hand, Hatebreed really utilizes there bassist, Chris Beattie, and he shines through pretty often. Of course they're Hardcore punk, but IMO thats just another rediculous sub-genre. Its thrash metal with a rhythm, give me a break.

Being a bassist is like being the steel frame of a building: you can't see it from the outside but if you remove it, everything collapses.
"You can drink an ugly chick hot, but you can’t drink a fat chick skinny."

Fender: HSS Stratocaster

Modulus: 1991 Q5

Peavey:158BASS
Marshall: MG30FDX
Acoustic: B200
I agree with gizmodious. Rob was a huge part of Death Magnetic, but I think they should have turned it up a little more on some songs. Mids (on Eq) are usually really low, which takes away from the true tone and volume of the bass.
Quote by BladeSlinger
I think that was mostly Cliff.....

Usually it's a little overdrive or maybe distortion. Bassists get covered up because the whole band does the class Mid scoop with cranked Lows and Highs. Bass doesn't cut through at all with no Mids and with two guitars with their Lows at 8 or 9 you're ****ed. Not to mention bands usually put bass low in the mix.

EDIT: If you EQ properly you can get a VERY powerful sound with audible bass. In orchestras and such the bass instruments are highly valued because they're the foundation of the sound. Too many people focus on individual sound instead of your sound as a band.

So with that knowledge then, why do metal bands like this even include bassists?
Quote by gizmodious
Listen to Death Magnetic, Trujillo is a huge part of the sound.

I do agree with you though... having played bass for a long time myself I noticed that unless you are and avid bassist you'rs not hearing the bass in most songs.

On the other hand, Hatebreed really utilizes there bassist, Chris Beattie, and he shines through pretty often. Of course they're Hardcore punk, but IMO thats just another rediculous sub-genre. Its thrash metal with a rhythm, give me a break.

Being a bassist is like being the steel frame of a building: you can't see it from the outside but if you remove it, everything collapses.

Hardcore Punk came before so you have it backwards. Metal actually borrowed a lot from Punk. Punk utilizes their bass a lot so that's why Hatebreed has such audible bass.

EDIT: ^Live shows. Scooped Mids just don't carry in a live situation and they need tonal support. It's almost taboo to not have a bassist too.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
So with that knowledge then, why do metal bands like this even include bassists?

Because bass to a guitar is still mids to a bass. Bass can always just lay down that lower root note, which is often in the case of the examples you seem to be thinking of.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by BladeSlinger
Hardcore Punk came before so you have it backwards. Metal actually borrowed a lot from Punk. Punk utilizes their bass a lot so that's why Hatebreed has such audible bass.

EDIT: ^Live shows. Scooped Mids just don't carry in a live situation and they need tonal support. It's almost taboo to not have a bassist too.

Thanks for the correction, but I still think Hatebreed sounds way metal.
"You can drink an ugly chick hot, but you can’t drink a fat chick skinny."

Fender: HSS Stratocaster

Modulus: 1991 Q5

Peavey:158BASS
Marshall: MG30FDX
Acoustic: B200
They do sound pretty Metal. Like I said, Metal was really influenced by Punk so a lot of bands will have aspects of both genres. I think Punk really influenced the vocals of Metal like Thrash. That gritty, almost yell that some of the early Thrash bands had.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Yeah its like that in Most Slayer songs but in Raining Blood for example when Jeff and Kerry finish doing there riff Tom comes in with a shitload of opens for the most famous riff of the song wouldnt sound the same without it!
CANNIBAL CORPSE

When the silence is gone, what have we become?
Listen to some older Megadeth stuff. Ellefson cuts through really well because A. He keeps his mids and doesn't scoop them, B. He will have new strings on, C. He uses a pick.

I feel that pick users (generally) IMO cut through better in metal. Of course though it matters on the other instruments and whether or not you are scooping your mids. Steve Harris pretty much proved my theory wrong
signature
The only reason players that use a pick are heard more clearly is because about 90% of them play closer to the bridge than they do when they finger pick. If I'm not mistaken... I believe the closer you play to the bridge, more mid freq. are produced.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
^ Sdds some high end too, which also helps
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Quote by Bullet-Rule
Listen to some older Megadeth stuff. Ellefson cuts through really well because A. He keeps his mids and doesn't scoop them, B. He will have new strings on, C. He uses a pick.

I feel that pick users (generally) IMO cut through better in metal. Of course though it matters on the other instruments and whether or not you are scooping your mids. Steve Harris pretty much proved my theory wrong

another bas player who plays with fingers and cuts through the mix is Alex Webster also Steve Di Giorgio and he plays with a fretless bass
Most metal bands who completely mix out the bass just have them for the low end at shows.