You know when you've got your tube amp cranked, and you hit a chord, and it sounds awesome, but then you get those almost harmonic-like, piercing overtones that seem much louder than the rest of the chord?

Well, if you know what I'm talking about, then I have a question for you. I really, really don't like those harmonic overtones. I know thats all overdrive is, but is there a piece of gear that will take out only those high pitched, piercing harmonic overtones that break out on the e and b strings? I want my tone to stay intact, but just have those frequencies completely gone, so there is some balanced volume output.

Thanks.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
Try an EQ pedal, if that doesn't do the trick have a play with a compressor as well.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
My dynacomp is a staple in my rig, and it helps a bit, but it also hurts. Because of the settings I use, I boost the amp with the compressor because I really like the sound of the preamp in the dynacomp. So, while the signal is slightly limited (I hate a squashed attack) the volume is boosted.

And I don't think an EQ pedal would really fix something like this, considering the overtones are always there. I can turn the treble down to zero on my amp, and the overtones wont go away, they wlll just be slightly muddier, along with the rest of my amp.

I finally found a setting in my rig that I like, and I don't wanna have to change it just for this.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
Quote by steven seagull
Try an EQ pedal, if that doesn't do the trick have a play with a compressor as well.

I dunno about the EQ pedal. Might help by just cutting back on the high frequencies. But, he says that he doesn't wanna alter his tone.

The compressor may do the trick. It'll at least keep those harmonics from bleeding out into the mix.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.