My PC is rather outdated and i'm thinking of getting more RAM installed as i only have 192mb. My question is, for gaming how much RAM will I need and how much will it cost to get it installed?
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
If you have an old computer, the motherboard probably has old technology.
Therefore good RAM probably won't fit in. You can either get a new motherboard (and pretty much a whole new computer) or find out how many pins the RAM slots have in your current motherboard.
Quote by Gaz_m2k5
If you have an old computer, the motherboard probably has old technology.
Therefore good RAM probably won't fit in. You can either get a new motherboard (and pretty much a whole new computer) or find out how many pins the RAM slots have in your current motherboard.

My computer is from 2004/2005 I can't quite remember, will this technology be too old?

S A D B O Y S
Quote by freedoms_stain
192 mb?

I doubt they still sell components as old as I think your computer needs.

+1

You should just get a new computer.

Quote by I.O.T.M
My computer is from 2004/2005 I can't quite remember, will this technology be too old?

No way does it have that little RAM and be from 04 or sooner, my desktop is from 04 and it came with 512, and that wasn't a lot back then either.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
RAM is cheap to buy.

I highly doubt you have 192mb. More likely 128 or 256.

1 TO 2GB is what most people have I think. Depends how old your computer is.

Go here and Hit scan my system.

http://www.crucial.com/

It will tell you what you have and what your computer can handle.
Flap it and enjoy yourself...

Xbox Live GT = The Donkey Fly
'...and those who fought on that day of honor, the day of victory shall be forever remembered as Lime Green' - Oct 31st 08
Quote by I.O.T.M

You gotta tell us everything you pc has...

Give us your:
cpu type and it's speed
how much GB your harddrive has
what video card you're using.

Then we will decide if you fix it up for gaming.
Do you have ebay? They have some old stuff on there.

Anyway, I would recommend at least 1GB...but that depends.

TS, can you give more specs for the computer? Make, processor speed, etc? That would help determine what you need.
For gaming id recommend at least 2gb, you can get that for about 20-40 pounds. 70 or so dollars tops.

But if your gaming you will want at least a 256mb graphics card and dual core cpu.
no.
Quote by metaldud536
You gotta tell us everything you pc has...

Give us your:
cpu type and it's speed
how much GB your harddrive has
what video card you're using.

That's all kind of irrelevant apart from the CPU type and possibly speed...HALF OF THAT IS IRRELEVANT.

EDIT:Ahhhh...for gaming...you edited your post.

Yer post it all up TS and also post up what the crucial scan said.

'...and those who fought on that day of honor, the day of victory shall be forever remembered as Lime Green' - Oct 31st 08
if its old school SDRAM dont bother it'll just be a waste of money, if its DDR say pc2100 or greater, maybe toss some more in there. Don't invest too much as the price of computers has dropped to the point where 399.99 here in canada gets you a more than capable tower. GL
when we bought it it said that it had 256mb Ram but after running a scan it only has 192, and sorry but i have no idea about computer specs

EDIT: the crucial scan results are here:
Maximum Memory Capacity: 2048MB
Currently Installed Memory: 256MB
Available Memory Slots: 1
Number of Banks: 2
Dual Channel Support: No
CPU Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
CPU Family: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.80GHz Model 3, Stepping 4
CPU Speed: 2814 MHz

S A D B O Y S
Last edited by I.O.T.M at Sep 19, 2008,
There is no 192 mb in ram. And yea you won't find any RAM which fits your motherboard.
Either get a new Motherboard installed (You will probably need a new cpu then too.) Or get a new Computer.
EDIT: I need the exact name and brand ect. of your RAM try getting CPU-Z to see the specs of your ram.
Last edited by CoBRaGe at Sep 19, 2008,
Quote by TheRstar
New Computer

The thing is i'm only 16 and I don't have the money.

S A D B O Y S
Quote by I.O.T.M
My PC is rather outdated and i'm thinking of getting more RAM installed as i only have 192mb. My question is, for gaming how much RAM will I need and how much will it cost to get it installed?

10 times as much as you have now, plus a pretty damn good video card and CPU and other stuff. I think you computer's a little outdated in order to accommodate the newer technology used in gaming computers so you need a new computer altogether.

Quote by I.O.T.M
The thing is i'm only 16 and I don't have the money.

In that case you will have to be patient until you get some cash.
Last edited by pwrmax at Sep 19, 2008,
Then you would probably have to get a new motherboard. But if you get a new Motherboard you need to buy the right one which fits your other components.
you can get 192MB RAM, its not a standard optin but its what you get when you have 128MB + 64MB (yes I spend too much time inside old computers), but any combination of 1,2,4,8,16,32,64,128,256,512,1024,2048,4096,etc is possible
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Motherboards aren't that expensive neither are most parts - second hand anyway.

You could probably fix up your computer for under 100 no problem. You just need to use eBay and browse the net for good deals.

Quote by Donkey Fly
Motherboards aren't that expensive neither are most parts - second hand anyway.

You could probably fix up your computer for under 100 no problem. You just need to use eBay and browse the net for good deals.

How would I fit the motherboard and other such components?

S A D B O Y S
Quote by I.O.T.M

I'd just work on getting a new computer, seriously. Mine's not much worse than yours with 128 RAM, 10gig memory and is about 10 years old, I can barely even run limewire on it. I'm trying to find a new computer aswell.