To start off, no i'm not on any drugs. But then again, i usually don't feel the need for any drugs to come up with crazy theories.

Lately after gaining better knowledge and understanding about the universe, planets and how everything works, and adding some of my observations to it, i've come up with a radical theory which i dunno how many of your might find interesting.

My theory basically has two parts.

Part 1: Life.
Most things in the universe are alive.
While the universe itself is a living entity itself.

Now to go into details.
I think only biological/organic entities poses life. I think life comes in different forms and shapes.
Like to start of with the very basic, us humans. We're a big collection of living organisms. Every cell in our body is alive doing its function to keep the system running. It consists of lifeless materials like proteins which on itself do nothing but the cells and organelles they compose are all alive.

Now moving onto something bigger, our planet Earth and the other planets in the solar system.
I believe out planet is alive. Its got its own heart of superheated iron core, its blood of magma. It has a mind of its own. The magma flows in it creating tectonic activity and morphing landscapes.
While on this planet we (and every other animal/plant) are to earth like what bacteria and other microorganisms to us, gaining nutrition from it.
Just like earth most other planets like Jupiter, Saturn, Venus and all are also living entities. While something like the Moon on the other hand is more like dead as its more just like a floating rock in space.
The Sun again is living. And so is the Milky Way galaxy and most things in it according to this theory.

Now this all comes down to what you'ld define as living. But for my definition life just doesn't belong to the organic and it can manifest in many forms.

Part 2: Probability and God.
Now this is the more tougher and complicated part to explain.
Basically, Everything in this universe (everything meaning literally everything including the universe itself) works and behaves according to a set of rules (of physics). Rules that we know of and rules that we don't know of.
If one could work out these rules, then they could work out the probability of any (any meaning literally any) event in the universe.

This is more about Probably than about God (and God here is not the usual God we all think of).
We all, everyone and everything behaves in a set general way its supposed to. Like Lions are set to kill other animals n consume them to survive, Sheep are meant to eat grass/leaves and get eaten by more powerful animals, we humans are supposed to do what we do. Build and self destruct and repeat!
Given more complex set of equations and rules (ones we probably don't know of), one could even be able to deduce the probability of a certain individual committing a murder!

For us humans, atleast as of yet, we don't have have those set of rules and equations derived yet to deduce such calculations though we have been able to come up with many "easier" calculations. Like for instance the probable life span of our planet and the sun. The probability of a certain individual getting heart disease or lung cancer. The probability of a person winning the lotto jackpot!

So everything as you notice works according to a measure and a set of rules. Our bodies are formed in proportion (in you look into the golden ratio, phi = 1:1.618), and so are many other objects in the universe formed according to a set measure. If they fail to form according to the measure, they fail to become what they're supposed to be. A cloud of gas will fail to become a star if its mass is below a critical number. A planet will fail to form a core and an atmosphere if its mass is below a critical number. If things go against the measure, is results in total disorder and eventually destruction and deletion.

Conclusion:
This is our universe. Built exactly to a measure. Works according to laws and rules. Some that we know of, many that we don't know of. Its the unknown that always appeals to us. Its the unknown that brings us to ask questions and solve problems. Questions such as what is the dark matter and the dark energy and how and why do they exist?
Or even more basic questions such as what are we here for?

Questions about life and the universe can probably never be explained by us humans and probably will be eternally asked. This is the very edge of what of human understanding. Yet we repeatedly keep finding ourselves jumping to conclusions. When the truth is we haven't even scratched the surface yet.

Okay, i guess its time to throw in the bombshell.

Bombshell:
Now i've spoken about how everything in the universe is alive. How the universe is built to a certain measure and rules. And how we haven't even scratched the surface on our knowledge of the universe.

Before dropping the major bombshell, let me shed some on Time itself.
Martyr's Prayer stated how time is an illusion and how if we'ld know everything then everyday would be exactly the same and time wouldn't exist.
Well, think about this. How old is the universe? Approx 15bn years old? Well, then what was there before it?! Where did it come from? Yes, these questions are as old as the universe itself but isn't the thought of the universe (or atleast what its made up of, including the energy) has been there forever and will remain forever? (Einstein: Mass-Energy is constant). If that is so doesn't that bring in a sense of immortality.
If time was infinity would time lose its significance? Aren't we just a spec of event in this universe. Time probably is an illusion if the time the universe has is forever. Forever to create itself (from the big bang) and destroy itself and maybe create itself all over again!
The Mass-Energy in the universe is a constant. Its immortal.

And here's the bombshell. Isn't it God?
Isn't God just a term of reference used for the collective set of rules, values and measures that the universe and everything in it runs on.
A set of rules, values and measures of everything. For gas to become stars, for Planets to be able to hold life. For organisms to survive. For Humans to live by.

Yes, think about that last phrase again. Set of rules, values and measures to live by. Once that if we don't follow, we may end up self-destructing ourselves. Just like how previous civilisations grew to such enormous leaps and then ended up in dust. Their works, their knowledge lost. All for humankind to start over again. A new book with a new set of rules, measures and values. A new group of humans that decide not to live by them. Another group of humans destroyed. Just like the planet got destroyed when it didn't follow the rules n measures. Just like the star wasn't able to form when it didn't meet the threshold value. Everything is alive and everything lives according to rules and values.

To conclude finally. Religion isn't meant to create differences and violence. Thats created from the misuse of religion (failure to meet the rules n values). Religion is meant to bring people together and teach people to live with each other in a progressive way. Violence will always remain even if religion perishes. Its all a part of the small plan for humans which is a small part of the much larger plan for the entire universe...
Last edited by af_the_fragile at Sep 19, 2008,
Quote by af_the_fragile
But... no one reads my blogs!!

Ask them to, make it less obvious like "Is my blog stupid?" and they will read it in the process.
Hmmm. You stated some nice points, but you just worded them differently from other things. There wasn't much of anything new, to be honest, I've heard all of the theories in one form or another.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by af_the_fragile
But... no one reads my blogs!!

Then it's because it lacks this-

-Interest

-Fun

-Boobs

OKay, i'll post a copy of this in my blog too... so ye guys can read it there too if ye wanna.

This was more sorta meant as a discussion on what ye guys think about my theory and if ye'ld like to add anything to it.

Quote by RedDeath9
I think... We already knew that...

But it was an interesting read, anyway.

I think its mainly cuz i didn't drop certain bombshells in there to stop it turning into a flame fest.

(hint: i mentioned God but never spoke about it!)
Have you heard of Laplace's Demon? Has very much to do with your thoughts.

EDIT: to add some of my own thoughts, I speculate sometimes that time is an illusion. Obviously the most elaborate, immense illusion possible. Because if we could comprehend every factor, no matter how unimaginably small or large, and calculate everything - basicly if we had unlimited comprehension and calculation skills - time wouldn't exist. Tomorrow would be just the same as yesterday or today.

As it is, even the past becomes muddled for us, which may or may not be further support of this theory. So time is an illusion because our existence is one long computation of even the most basic mathematical workings of reality. Kind of like seeing Einstein's chalk board next to "2+2 = 4." Just on a much larger scale.

That is all directly derived from Laplace's Demon, BTW.
We're only strays.
Last edited by Martyr's Prayer at Sep 19, 2008,
dude i totally get u on the planets being alive. when i was watching the universe and it was talkin about how planets live in neighborhoods and in clusters they call "cities". and i thought that the planets must be living too.
People are strange when youre a stranger
Faces look ugly when youre alone
Women seem wicked when youre unwanted
Streets are uneven when youre down
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
Have you heard of Laplace's Demon? Has very much to do with your thoughts.

Whats that?
I totally agree with you but.

Was there a point to this?

I was expecting a question or atleast something to think about at the end...

Kudos for the Penguins though.
Quote by Brunnis Jetrel, Eve-Search Forums
oh the good old days of launching strawberries at point blank range into people's faces with a ballista... brings back mammaries

Quote by SkyValley
Kick your OWN ass before he has a chance to get to it.

Clicky --->
Have you heard of Determinism? I was reading a thread on it here a while ago... Your post kinda reminded me of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Determinism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laplace%27s_demon

I also don't believe that planets are living... Actually...

I don't know. IMO, only things with their own living, working cells are living.
Quote by Wigert
I totally agree with you but.

Was there a point to this?

I was expecting a question or atleast something to think about at the end...

Kudos for the Penguins though.

Hmm...
I think i'll update the blog to add the question...

As i said, i didn't drop any bombshells in the post.
life as defined by science includes organic material only (inclusively), the universe does not fall into this category, learn a little more about scientific theory before you make your own up
Quote by Travlembo
life as defined by science includes organic material only (inclusively), the universe does not fall into this category, learn a little more about scientific theory before you make your own up

Yes, but this is not a scientific argument.
Science is the knowledge of the things that we know of.

This is more philosophical argument. Its about what we don't know and are not sure of.

Oh and BTW, i'm adding a little addition to the post.
Martyr's Prayer, i've addressed a couple of your points too...
Last edited by af_the_fragile at Sep 19, 2008,
Its interesting, but it isnt really that new tbh.
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Right and ready, so i've added the final and the most controversial part to my theory.

All you atheists can start flaming!!
All you people would like to give this another proper thought can discuss this further!!
Theory one; life is determined by self replicating things. The Earth does not do this...

Theory two; this is a philosophy called determinism, one which many scientists uphold. It's very popular and nothing new.

EDIT: On the conclusion part, we got some pretty good ideas on black matter, some idea on dark matter...

And the bombshell, I fail to make the connection really.
About the bombshell, I personally believe in a spiritual dimension, as well as the traditional understanding of God. I think everything that we can see and can detect with the senses is only a small plain of reality. To recycle my earlier analogy, perhaps our reality is to God as a small equation, like 2+2 = 4. Of course it is boundlessly immense and inconceivable to us, but to him maybe every function of every atom in existence is just a part of an equation that he made that for him is like simple addition.
We're only strays.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
About the bombshell, I personally believe in a spiritual dimension, as well as the traditional understanding of God. I think everything that we can see and can detect with the senses is only a small plain of reality. To recycle my earlier analogy, perhaps our reality is to God as a small equation, like 2+2 = 4. Of course it is boundlessly immense and inconceivable to us, but to him maybe every function of every atom in existence is just a part of an equation that he made that for him is like simple addition.

Yes, you seem to be getting it!

Like i was reading about Laplace's Demon too... And how it sorta suggested that God didn't exist within the universe but rather the universe existed within God and the universe acts as a limiting factor.

Then again, the "maths" of the whole universe is so complex, and God being the sum total of it it all, for him/it the complete time and existence of the human race on this planet might be as simple an equation as 2+2=4. While we might spend centuries trying to figure out the equation and still not be able to comprehend it!

Bad analogy, but its the best i could think of, its like programming a simple subtractive synthesizer. For the guy who programes it, its pretty simple. Take a couple of oscillators, hook em together, pass them through a LFO and a couple of filters, then finally though an amplifier and there you go. You've got a prefect subtractive synthesizer.
The maths of it is pretty simple.
But its the permutations that you can come up with in it thats mind boggling. You can come up with 1000's of sound from that one synth just by tweaking the oscillators and filters.

I think the universe is built like this. The maths is relatively simple. But the permutations you can come up with are close to infinite! For us humans, with our small brain capacity, we can only go as much as understanding the most basic of the maths that governs the universe and we feel because of the infinite permutations (events) we can come up with (including free will, which i believe is a function of human limitations), we feel it'ld be impossible to tie up the entire human race in just one mathematical equation.

Coming back to Free Will, as this is the major argument against Laplace's Demon, i'ld like to mention a few things. I believe free will is a function of the human capability which is a property of the maths that governs human behavior.
Like my maths allows me to be able to punch the guy sitting next to me. Thats my free will. But my maths doesn't allow me to be able to read into the thoughts of that guy or be able to fly (without machines).
Again, if i punch the guy sitting next to me, according to the human behavioral equations, his response to the punch would be a set of predetermined actions. He'ld either retaliate and punch me back. Or he'ld suck it up and cry about it. Or he might shout at me, go call his mates to get revenge etc. All his actions are gonna depend about his current position relative to mine. If he's stronger than me, his personality, etc.

So if you really try to string it all together, you'll start to notice how everything is so mathematical like we're all the functions of some universal equation/formula for human beings.

And this is what the people who're into creating Artificial Intelligence are into. They're trying to map the human brain onto a harddrive, find the equations that govern our actions and make us do what we do. If all that information and maths can be programmed into a harddrive, we've got a computer who thinks and behaves like a human!!
Interesting read, thank you .

Sadly I have nothing to add.

And holy shit^ that got me thinking... that was a good post right thar.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Last edited by floppypick at Sep 19, 2008,