View poll results: Which one?
Line 6 POD x3 Live
16 76%
Digitech GNX 4
2 10%
Other (Please comment)
3 14%
Voters: 21.
Hi, I was looking for a guitar effects processor that would suit my playing (rock - metal). I don't trust reviews after buying my spider III lol. =P
Thanks =P
Oh also, just thought I'd throw the Peavey VYPYR into this. I don't know if this will be that great at creating unique sounds though.
EDIT: I don't have a VYPYR, I just was thinking about getting one.
But is the POD really that good? I heard the distortion is bad and sounds like my spider's distortion. Is that true?
Last edited by jacobparker at Sep 20, 2008,
Sell vypyr.

Buy a non modelling amp ( can be ss )

Get a pod x3

Improvment of 25%
There's No School like Old School.

So yeah, i'm getting active again on this fucking website.

FACEBOOK
I'd go with the POD, but you really don't want to hook a modeling processor to a modeling amp.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
No.

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

Quote by jacobparker
Is the POD's distortion as bad as the spiders? The spider's TERRIBLE!

The POD is excellent
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
The GNX4 is great if you want an 8 track recorder, Jamman looper, and a MIDI playback for backing or drum/bass tracks.
Quote by fly135
The GNX4 is great if you want an 8 track recorder, Jamman looper, and a MIDI playback for backing or drum/bass tracks.

It's abit of a 'jack of all trades, MASTER OF NONE' type thing, gt-8/10 ftw!
I must say the POD does look like it has good features. The spider also looked like it had good features. I guess I just wanted to hear someone say the POD had all right distortion and effects.
Can someone who owns it tell me the bad sides as well as the reviews don't...
Thanks
Quote by turbulenced
It's abit of a 'jack of all trades, MASTER OF NONE' type thing, gt-8/10 ftw!
I have both a GNX4 and a Pod X3 Live, plus I've owned a GT-8 in the past.

The bottom live is that from a pure tone standpoint the X3 would be my choice. And if you are a pro or great guitarist that might be the single factor of consideration.

But from a practical standpoint of what would help an aspiring guitarist the GNX4 has some strong points. Playing along with backing tracks or a drums is far better than simply noodling out a bunch of riffs from your favorite songs. Having an 8 track recorder/looper is a stand out feature of it's own. The GNX4 basically includes the same features as a $300 Jamman looper plus a build-in recording studio. It's upgradable to 2 Gig of storage, and can play MP3 files. In addition it's stereo, whereas the Jamman is mono.

One issue with multifx is the amount of work required to tweak them as well as the ramifications of the amp combined with the multifx. It's easily possible for someone to make a GNX4 sound better than the X3. The added features of the GNX4 are important enough to override the difference in tone issues for some people. If I was only allowed to have either an X3 or a GNX4 I would pick the GNX4. It just so happens that I also have a Jamman to complement my X3.
The POD (XT) is fantastic provided you get the additional model packs. I play metal and I wanted a really nice tube like tone with tonnes of crunch and the ability to record cleanly and quietly and the POD suits that perfectly. It is much, much better than the Spider, which as you stated, is horrible sounding. The flexibility that the POD and the expansion model packs offers allows you to tweak until you want to vomit. The great thing about this unit is that you can download preset patches from other users which are a lot of the time plug and play and thus eliminate hours of tweaking to get a great sound.

A great example of this is Misha Mansoors distortion patch which he uses on his Bulb and Periphery recordings (listen to them here):

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=147108

I downloaded this and played it with a Jackson and stock EMG pickups and it sounded pretty much just like it does on his recordings. Granted, there will be differences because of the pickups, guitar construction etc. but it's way closer to the sound than if you went out and bought a small Mesa Boogie combo and compared it to the Metallica And Justice For All sound.

If you want to create your own sound you can tweak off of a downloaded patch or create your own sound from scratch. If you've used Amplitube or any other software/VST based rig simulator it words much in the same way. You build in your effects pedals, your amp head choice and then your cab and microphone. You can also record it without cab simulation and add that later with Amplitube in your recording software.

I'm an advocate of the POD lineup after hating them for years because I thought that the stock sounds sucked b*llz. Now I find myself in love with the POD (sounds creepy) and can't live without it. Frankly, I don't even use the other FX on it I got it purely for the distortion and because it made a cheap and very effective addition to my home studio/DAW.
Well, I'd get a Tech21 Power Engine if you are going with a modelling preamp like the Pod X3, Mesa Boogie TriAxis, GT10, or Zoom G9.2tt. You just need a reliable output that faithfully reproduces the sound. As for which one, I'd find a store sample and see if it can produce the sounds you want and be easily operable.
If you want tube warmth, you could instead stick a tube power amp like the Carvin TS100 and a cabinet.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101