And I don't mean to impress a lady.

Now I'm not buying a new bass any time soon. So don't worry about trying to convince me to buy now or not, etc. I'm just looking down the line.

So as I'm sure you know (right?), I own an Ibanez EDB 500. Yes, the old Luthite legend. And honestly, I love this bass. It's got a very usable sound, has the versatility of a Soundgear. Love the active pickup sound - very full.

Even so, I want to get another bass to complement my sonic abilities someday. Moreover, I want this bass to be a fiver, because I think the kind of music I'd use it for would be nice with the B-string option.

Allow me to give you some idea of what I'm talking about. The kind of sound I'm thinking of (possibly) is the kind of deep sound that Stefan Lessard gets. Something really deep and round. Had my eyes on the Ibanez ATK, for example. Something.

Point is, I need some suggestions and discussion about another bass idea. Something to complement the sound of my Ergodyne. I know this is a pretty vague request, but hey, I don't need to decide anytime soon, so thought I'd throw it out there.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
For a Stefan Lessard sound, you'll be wanting a Warwick or a Modulus.

Warwick Thumb to be more precise, or a Dolphin.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
I have the four string ATK and I love it, I'd definitley recommend it.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Id say the Warwick thumb
CANNIBAL CORPSE

When the silence is gone, what have we become?
You might want to give a budget before ben gets too carried away
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
get a monkey. way more fun than any bass.

or, get a custom shop Dolphin with squirrel inlays.

if I ever have the money, I will one day get squirrel inlays.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
get a monkey. way more fun than any bass.

or, get a custom shop Dolphin with squirrel inlays.

if I ever have the money, I will one day get squirrel inlays.

Quote by guitarhero_764

Quote by ScottB.

I was dead serious. wouldn't squirrel inlays just say me?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

if you mean childlike and playful. Yes
Quote by guitarhero_764

Quote by ScottB.
You might want to give a budget before ben gets too carried away

Yeah I didn't mean to skip that.

I know I said "down the line", but a Thumb would be a bit TOO far down the line. Heh, I know this is a disappointment, but let's shoot for below $500, eh? And yes, that's AFTER inlays Humanity.

And don't get too caught up on Lessard. That sound isn't written in blood or anything. Although Warwicks were in the back of my mind.

And ScottB, tell me more about the ATK, could ya?
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
send bass to me. I will paint on the squirrels myself. and poly just over each one.

:p poor man inlays.

but, if you want that kind of sound, but don't care if it is perfect, I think you could try to find a good bass with the same relative configuration, pickup wise...

there is that one atk...
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

The neck is just a bit larger than a normal P. I find it really comfortable and satisfying to play. it's tone is very punchy, and it has great highs and it's great for slap. The only downside is the weight. it has a massive body(ash) i think it weighed around 4 stone when i measured it. But overall its a fantastic bass and is the best I've played in the p[rice range.
Quote by guitarhero_764