Hi, I'm new to alternate tunings besides Drop D....which I've tried once.
I was trying to play a part of a song that I guess requires the 24th-ish fret on the high E string. So since I have a 22 fret guitar...I figured tuning the high E string up until the note can be found would work. And it did, now it's at the 22nd fret...well not quite, I think it's one more note up. Now it's tuned to EADGBG

Now I was just wondering if that's a bad tuning, if like the string is gonna break (especially if I tune it up that halfstep), and also what exactly would that be called? (High G Drop?)

Thanks
Well, the 22nd fret on the 1st string of any guitar in standard tuning will be a D. 24th fret is two octaves up so its an E still. If you wanna hit the "24th fret" note on the first string by tuning it up, you'll have EADGBF# so that the 22nd fret becomes the E. There's sure to be a tension problem if you do that, and you might find that it'll go out of tune quickly if not break the string. I don't know if the quality of the strings affects that..

And a dropped tuning means that a string is lowered down the chromatic scale (like the E dropping to a D in Drop D) Tuning up can't be called a drop. Don't know what it'd be called though.. It's rather unorthodox
Well, the 22nd fret on the 1st string of any guitar in standard tuning will be a D. 24th fret is two octaves up so its an E still.

Two half steps, not two octaves.
or do a harmonic over where the 24th fret is, that is a little crappy trick, but it works. . . or like the other fellow said, just do a full step pre-bend. .. and get very good at it so you can hide it. . . . or the other alternative, buy a 24 fret guitar. . . . I would suggest also to get one that has a double cut body style, and also something without too bulky of a heel on it so you can actually access the upper frets easily also.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
Thanks all for the advice, my guitar is back in standard tuning now, string didnt break yay.
@notsee: I don't know how to do a harmonic over where the 24th fret would be, but I am able to lightly touch the string pass the frets to hear a really really dull version of what would be there if there were frets. I'm not sure if thats harmonic or not. I really dont wanna buy a new guitar right now, I've only had this one for 4ish months and I dont wanna get a better guitar until I'm good at this one, an Epiphone SG Special Edition, but I think this one is double cut (Is double cut where its like a V or curved horns where the fretboard ends so that you can easily finger the higher frets?)

@notsee/Davester: Also, I hadnt thought about bends, I never really used them that way before.......the funny part is I thought they would break the strings lol. I tried it and it sounds like it only went up a half-step. How far do you have to bend for a whole step/To avoid breaking the string?

@Adrian: Thanks now I know what to call drop tuning, what's "open" tuning then?

I googled it and found ONE song that uses this tuning, "See You" by Foo Fighters. However that could just be a bad tab. EADGBG HAS to have some sorta name though.

Thanks again all, and I can't believe this thread is still one of the first threads today.
Well, the 24th fret harmonic would show up clearly where your 24th fret would be. . . you could use a tuner to see how clear you could get it, it would be beyond your fretboard range of course. . . I read about that once in a Guitar World or something when they were giving advice on a song. Yes, A double cut is like Strat style, SG style bodies. .. Where as single cuts are les paul type bodies like mine. Don't sweat it, my first guitar was an Epiphone SG Standard and black at that. . . . from there to Ibanez RG 570, to two PRS custom 24's an 87 model and a 2004, then got broke, had to sell them, so now I just sit on an ESP EC, also worth mention, ESP LTD M and H series are pretty good guitars for the money involved.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
really if you can make a tuning work for you then use it. i've seen some crazy wierd tunings and chances are that u'll only be usin it for one song. and i really doubt that the string will break. the low e goes through tons of tuning all the time. and if u say "well thats a thicker string" think of how much the high e gets bent on a regular basis. u'll have to bend pretty far to get the 24th fret sound from the 22nd so tuning should not be a problem. you could always tune the whole guitar up too.

double cut away is when the top and bottom of the body are "indented". les pauls are single (except for the double cutaway les pauls).

i dont suggest using harmonics to try to get the sound cuz it wont sound good just thrown in with other notes. really you should just go try it and find out wat you like. be innovative and do whatever u feel most comfortable with.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
I, sir, salute you!

Epiphone sg
behringer gmx1200h
MY MINI V BUILD!!!