Im new to guitar, I've had mine for about 5 months, and the strings on it have become worn and kinda rusty so I was wondering what would be the best kind of strings to get a hard rock/metal sound out of?
well, i suggest gettin some strings of the 0.10 gauge. i would suggest ernie ball myself, but whatever works for you.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Alright thanks, and yea when I saw that strings come in different gauges I knew I needed help on this one. Thanks again.
regular slinkies by ernie ball

its a set of .10s
GEAR
Jackson JS30WR with EMG 81/85
Dean Vendetta
Peavey Valveking 212 (tung sol 12ax7 - JJ6l6gc)
Ibanez TS9
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2

Quote by insanitytheband
Hey Im Looking For Some Tech Death Metal In D

Quote by alexyeung
try anything form avenged sevenfold

wtf?
I say a set of .10s would be good. I personally like Elixer nanoweb strings, since coated strings definately last longer. And since you dont really have a certain brand you use alot, the feel of em wouldnt be too noticeable.
Ernie Ball 0.11 is the best. I use it and sounds great for metal and hard stuff.

To prevent string breaking, just clean it with some wet cloth(not very wet, just a bit) at the end of every session of playing. This removes all the rust on the first 3 strings, and preserves the quality and sound.
Sorry for my bad english, i'm brazilian
DR 11's. . . medium. . . they are handmade so they don't heat the nickel during the winding process so therefore the strings retain more luster. . . very good for metal, very very good. . .

Also, your boy you showing there, the one with the reaper on all of their cd covers, save maybe one or two. . . Children of bodom, they use DR. . . .
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
what the diff if u using 0.9 or 0.19 gauge? does that diff effect your playing?
Bedroom Set up:

ESP LTD EC-400 with 81/60 EMG
Yamaha SJ550HR, 1980's Strat (rare guitar)
Crate v18
Digitech Bad Monkey
Vintage 30 Speaker
Metal Muff

Saving up for ESP Uruha's Signature Guitar
9 to 11, thinner strings are easier to play on, in my opinion they sound like butt though. . . I can shred like mad on ultra thins, like yngwie, they just sound like butt so I refuse to use them. Whenever I say 9 the low string is a given 42, and when I say 11 the given low string is a 49 by the way. . . None of that TNT crap where it's a 9 to a 52. . . or Zakk Wylde signature's which I equally hate. . . Note, If you have Locking Tuning head's you can't use Zakk Wylde signatures. . . the .062 string will not fit inside the hole.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.

^The ZW's will fit, all you have to do is drill the whole a tad bit bigger, and the problems solved. Tons of people do it all the time, it's actually easy.

Standard tuning?
Either way.. Elixir AR Polywebs or Nanowebs. They'll last 3-5 times longer then most strings. I've tried every brand I've come across just about, and I wont buy anything but the Elixirs now. There more expensive then others, but well worth it.
wow, people actually strip out their hole for zw strings. . . what a consumerist nation. . . either way, they are still just a heavier version of the TNT's. . . and sweeping between that much of a sudden change is a pain in the knockers. . . I never understood that with Coated strings. . . I can't stand the way they feel or shed under a pick. . . but I play about 5-6 hours daily lately. . . and that's been going on for about a month and I only have slight signs of rust and that's probably more to do with leaving it out near an air conditioning vent than my playing habits.
Quote by paranoid joker

id recomend some 9's.

a lighter string a lighter fret and easier bends.

reccomened for beginners when starting out, b/c they are easier to fret.
But its not just a beginner string. For example: Joe Satriani uses 9's.

D'Darrio strings are my fav........but it all depends on what you like.

Try em all out over time.

Also if your play guitar every day, it is reccomened that you change strings every 2-3 weeks, but use your judgement.

If you have any questions feel free to pm me. I used to work at a music store.
Quote by notsee
wow, people actually strip out their hole for zw strings. . . what a consumerist nation. . . either way, they are still just a heavier version of the TNT's. . . and sweeping between that much of a sudden change is a pain in the knockers. . . I never understood that with Coated strings. . . I can't stand the way they feel or shed under a pick. . . but I play about 5-6 hours daily lately. . . and that's been going on for about a month and I only have slight signs of rust and that's probably more to do with leaving it out near an air conditioning vent than my playing habits.

I could never get into coated ones either.

They sound dead when you put them on in my opinion.
Quote by xEvolutionx
Im new to guitar, I've had mine for about 5 months, and the strings on it have become worn and kinda rusty so I was wondering what would be the best kind of strings to get a hard rock/metal sound out of?

As that other guy said 10's are good for anything
<|ĐÞŞ|>
Dead Puppy Society
=When the going gets tough, the tough get going=
10'.s. I get rotosound and they last forever and you get a free high E
Quote by zerocrack
what the diff if u using 0.9 or 0.19 gauge? does that diff effect your playing?

there is a HUGE difference between a 0.09 and a 0.19. an 0.19 would be a heavier gauge than the G string on a 0.10 set.

seriously, just stick with 0.10s for now, if you find that they're too light, move up to the 0.11s.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
ah sry, i meant from 0.9 to 0.10
Bedroom Set up:

ESP LTD EC-400 with 81/60 EMG
Yamaha SJ550HR, 1980's Strat (rare guitar)
Crate v18
Digitech Bad Monkey
Vintage 30 Speaker
Metal Muff

Saving up for ESP Uruha's Signature Guitar