I was wondering if its possible to turn a bolt-on guitar into a neck-thru? Like if I took off the neck and then sliced out the middle section and used the two sides on a new neck (neck-thru style) and just glued it all together. Would that work?
"Would you tell Picasso to sell his guitars?" - Jack Black

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

my dick is generally better than yours, and is more pleasing to look at and hold.
your dick understands and accepts this, and is willing to just move on.
yes but I don't really think it's worth the effort.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
hhmm.. i want to build a neck-thru from scratch but i dont wanna toss all that money and mess up so i planned on buying a really cheap guitar then test this out

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

my dick is generally better than yours, and is more pleasing to look at and hold.
uhhhhh
prolly not
unless ur using a beater guitar u dont really care about
i kno i couldnt cut into my ibanez
which is almost 15 years old now
but yes on my ltd f 50 i would
just because i never use it
ide think hard about doing that if i were you...
I'm the musical equivalent of driving a Sherman tank to work.
i was thinking about going on like overstock.com and buying one of their crappy guitars cause they cheap, ship for $2 and would make a good wall decoration if i messed up and if I liked what I did i was thinking about trying on my squire (a bit iffy on this cause it was my first guitar) and then on my Flying V. but itd be a bit difficult on the V cause its a Michael Schenker sig. with the half white/half black paint

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

well, they're most likely plywood. don't bother.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
yea but this is just for an experiment to see if itll work. ill get a cheap neck for it

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

cheap neck thru neck... no such thing.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
im thinking like a cheap piece of wood. like going to the lumberyard and just getting a piece to cut into a neck. im not really planning on playing it, I just wanna see how itll work

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

it'll work, I just don't see the point of this honestly. I'd just get a a neck thru neck from carvin and a body blank, and go from there.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
its all building up to making a guitar from scratch. I want to A) know how to place a neck and make it work and B) upgrade my bolt-on guitars cause I cant stand trying to reach higher frets around the bulky heel

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

Your not going to be able to glue a bolt neck in then eliminate the heel for better access. A bolt neck strat has better access than a set neck LP. And you cant convert a bolt or set neck to neck thru. Its either neck thru or its not. True you could glue a 2x4 into the neck pocket of a guitar but it wont prove that it will be able to handle string tension or even be playable.
i'm thinking this would probably create more problems than it would fix
Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500M
Ibanez GAX-70
Crate V-18 112
BYOC Overdrive TS808 Clone
Vox Pathfinder 15R
No, you would not be able too, as neck-thrus are constructed completely differently; the neck is on one log that goes the length of the body, and two wings are glued on. You could do a set neck, but it won't work well or change your neck joint dramatically.
^read his whole post man, he said he wants to remove the bolt on neck, slice the middle out of the body and use the sides as wings to glue onto a different through-neck.

that being said, im not sure what the reason for changing from a bolt on is. if you are only doing this because you want better fret access, i dunno if you're going in the right direction. i say file some wood out of the lower cutaway first until you're happy with it, because ultimately you're gonna have the same size cutaway with the plan you've got anyways. if you're worried about sustain, you won't hear much (any) difference with a through neck versus a bolt-on, just make sure you have a good tight fit on your neck.