Alright, so I LOVE my Ibanez, we all know this, but I'm looking for a new bass that'll fully satisfy my tonal needs. Basically, my tonal needs boil down to two words: Punch, and balls. I love the Ryan Martinie sound as heard in Happy by Mudvayne. I'm also a big funk fan, so I'd need to be able to get a decent Victor Wooten sound, which I think is fairly easy with a decent bit of compression. Yes, I know I'm picky, but there's more. It has to be 5 string and under $1000. Could a Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 do the trick for me? How's the action? I haven't had the chance to try one. If it won't do it straight up, maybe with the right EQ or a little drive? Any opinions?
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
i think the bass im saving for may suit you, fender standard jazz bass V
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
The guy in Mudvayne uses Warwick basses, which are immediately what I thought of when I read punch and balls.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
The guy in Mudvayne uses Warwick basses, which are immediately what I thought of when I read punch and balls.

warwick could work too, not a fan myself but yeah
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Quote by gm jack

You have no idea how much I'd love a Warwick, but as I said, it's out of my range. I've only heard a few sound clips of the Schecter, but I need opinions from people who have heard or used them, as I've never had the pleasure. If not, other basses under $1000?

By the way, when I hear 'punch' and 'balls' I usually think pain, but that's just me, and I'm a dork.
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by gm jack

yes.

well actually, punch and balls brings back memories of my 5th grade classmates... appreciation for me. but Warwick is a very punchy bass.

EDIT: SRX? also, from what fitz once told me, you will sometimes see 500 dollar warwicks on craigslist, if you are brave enough.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
LTD B-405sm if they still sell them

I had one for a while and it was awesome
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Martin DC-16RE Premium

Fender Snakeskin Champ 12
Quote by jdF250
warwick, sadowsky, tobias, esp

sadowsky? if that's what I think it is, he aint getting one for cheaper than a Corvette.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Yeah Warwick Ryan' s my favourite bassist
CANNIBAL CORPSE

When the silence is gone, what have we become?
Spectors i'm thinking
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
So I guess that's a huge no on the Schecter. Would it be worth it to get one and put EMG-DC pickups on it until I can get a Spector Euro 5?
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by Cody_Grey102
So I guess that's a huge no on the Schecter. Would it be worth it to get one and put EMG-DC pickups on it until I can get a Spector Euro 5?

Why even waste your money on the Schecter then? Might as well just save up a little longer and get the Spector. The Schecter is a great bass and would do what you're looking for for sure though, but the Spector would do it better.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Punch and Balls? Sound like a job for something with a bridge humbucker.

I'd go with something Musicman.
Quote by Captain Insano
Punch and Balls? Sound like a job for something with a bridge humbucker.

I'd go with something Musicman.

Sounds like a job for something with two J-pickups.

I heard people getting used Thumbs on craigslist over there for $900-$1000...
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
you can def find a used Warwick Thumb BO for -$1000 even from legit places such as Ebay.com and GuitarCenter.com / Used, Dont settle for less i mean the "NEW" Thumbs have dorky Chrome hardware and ya know you want the black hardware anyway like a 97-00 Thumb mmmmmm
Ya look for warwicks, especially thumbs, on craigslist if you want ryan martinie's tone. but I'd personally go for a corvette standard. they're cheaper and more versatile because you have a neck pickup and a bridge pickup, instead of just two bridge pickups
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Quote by kugelspot
Ya look for warwicks, especially thumbs, on craigslist if you want ryan martinie's tone. but I'd personally go for a corvette standard. they're cheaper and more versatile because you have a neck pickup and a bridge pickup, instead of just two bridge pickups

Thumbs have a bridge/neck pup set up. They're just placed differently. As far as I'm concerned, Thumbs are much more versatile than Corvettes, and are much higher quality.
Hmm, well both Thumbs and Corvettes are awesome. Quality-wise, they're exactly the same... however Thumbs have cooler looking hardware (because most have stock hardware that's black, as opposed to the chrome on Vettes) but the pickup and preamp are the same in both basses, if you're talking about the Thumb BO. When you buy a Thumb, the only thing you're really paying for when compared to a Corvette is the body shape and the pickup positioning. Both have a 2-band MEC preamp and two MEC J pickups.

That said, Corvettes can get EXTREMELY growly, but from what I've seen/heard/played, it seems like it's easier to get growl out of the Thumb, but the Corvette can do it too.

I'm not trying to persuade you to not get a Thumb -- they are awesome. But also note that they have a curved body, which a lot of people find extremely uncomfortable.
2006 Warwick
MASTODON
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Thumbs have a bridge/neck pup set up. They're just placed differently. As far as I'm concerned, Thumbs are much more versatile than Corvettes, and are much higher quality.

It's really only a relative neck/bridge setup. the two pickups are both extremely close to the bridge
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Hehe, punch and balls.

I say Warwick. My friend's has fantastic punch with little to no EQ work involved.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by kugelspot
It's really only a relative neck/bridge setup. the two pickups are both extremely close to the bridge

The neck pup isn't THAT much closer to the bridge than the Corvette's. It is, but not by much. The angle of the bridge pup probably makes it seem much closer than it is.
I understand that Thumbs usually have a 3 band EQ as opposed to the Corvette's 2 band.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Part of the Warwick ideology is that they make all instruments to the same standard, inthe same way you would expect any made in America Fender (bare the HW1 series) to be made to the same standard. The price difference comes from using even more exotic woods and extras like the curved body. Also, the Thumb BO and NT are their classic flagship models, so they probably go for slightly more. I've played a fair few thumbs in my time, and not one has been good enough to make me ever think less of a corvette.

However, thumbs do come with a 3 band EQ as standard, which is a custom option for a Corvette.

Corvettes aren't any worse than any other Warwick. They are just the bare bones models, without any fancy extras. (e.g. the Thumb NT has a Bubinga Pomelee body, rather than regular bubinga. Sounds the same, but looks far nicer.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Only the NT comes with a 3-band I thought though. I'm pretty sure the BOs all have a 2-band, just like the Vettes.

Either way, I'm EVENTUALLY going to put a 3-band in my Corvette. At least I want to real, real bad.
2006 Warwick
MASTODON