Hey guys,

I have what may or may not be a common problem, I can't seem to look cool when I play standing up (at a gig for example), and obviously a big part of putting on a good performance is looking cool!

So I was wondering what height do you guys have your guitar at while playing, the only way I seem to be able to play as well as I do when sitting down is if I have it ridiculously high up, well above my waist height! So I was wondering how you guys are able to play with it lower, if I drop to the sort of height I see people playing at, I really struggle to reach the lower (E and A) strings comfortably......is there something I'm doing wrong as other people don't seem to have this problem?

If it makes a difference, I support my guitar on my right thigh when sitting down and am about 5'10 in height....

I apologise if this seems slightly retarded
Well, have it as comfortable as you want. There's no point having the guitar slung down to your feet to try and look cool; it only makes things a helluva lot harder. I have mine sorta by my hip, that's as low as I can go while still being able to play easily.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
No point "Lowering your guitar than any mortal man has ever done before" hehe.
Quote by Echoplex
Mature pit regulars? Are you retarded?

I am a proud Zune 120 owner

about that high up.

Personally i think looking cool should be a secondary concern to the quality of what you play, if movement and thrashing about on a low guitar is detrimental to what you are playing, stop it, look at opeth when they play live, they put on a great performace but they have their guitars at a reasonable height and dont thrash about a lot ... and they play well.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
im the same height and i play with only an inch of spare strap so height doesn't make much difference

i used to have the same problem but i got use to it over time and now i can play it comfortably lower than anybody i know, it also helps that i moved the strap button from the horn of my strat to the back of the neck like a SG has(helps with tilting the head up and down/less likely to fall off)

just play where it's comfortable
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Thanks for your help guys!

And I was never gonna lower it just to look cool, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something which made it impossible to play it lower for whatever reason.....

So thanks again, you guys are always helpful with idiots like me!

Just so you know, the reason I ask is cause I'm with the first band I've ever been in that I liked and we have our first gig coming up soon, so I'm trying to get everything nailed down nicely!
as long as u play well it looks cool. angus young, tom morrello all wear them up high..mayb try standing when you practice to. If I get tired of standing i kinda simulate the grip like when you stand if you let your guitar just hang to the side instead of rest it on your leg when your sittin down and playing
i like hardcore music, and all the technical players have them pretty high up
so its awwwright
Quote by Td_Nights
*Points to Above Poster*

Best. Username. Ever.

Quote by _-Joey-_
I wish I was gay...

PSN- td_rules Steam- tdrules
Remember, guitarists are ENTERTAINERS, sometimes looking good is important if it keeps your crowd entertained. When guitarists stand completely still most of the time it gets a bit boring. A bit of emotion makes the performance feel authentic, so it doesn't look like you are going through the motions. Just don't go over the top, then you just look retarded. Make sure you play comfortably though.
Quote by Zeppelin_1223
you lose.

What are you on about?
Quote by John Petrucci
When it comes to practicing, I would spend about 63 hours a day
To Zeppelin, the link works if you drag and drop and in case you didn't know, it's a picture of the Greenday bloke with his guitar down low
Quote by idiotbox919
To Zeppelin, the link works if you drag and drop and in case you didn't know, it's a picture of the Greenday bloke with his guitar down low

so it does!

this s what i look like.
if you like it, look at it as a good example.

if you don't, then learn from it as a bad example.

what im going to say though, is this: if you really really want to look good. then be prepared to adapt your playing style to suit a new posture or position. the guys here are right about your playing style ultimately being more important. but if you're still going to choose looks over playing, then be prepared to make changes to your playing.
Again thanks!

But just to make it clear before everyone gets the idea I'm a total idiot, I was never intending on choosing style over substance, I was just seeing if anyone had any tips with regards to getting the whole package and if anyone had a similar issue and how they resolved it!
i used to have the same problem as you do, i wanted to have my guitar lower but i found it hard to play at a low height, and after examining Eric Clapton he has his guitar up above his waist and you can argue that Clapton is bad ass lol so i learned from that example and started wearing my guitar up above my waist a little bit and its awesome, i love the feel of it and its so easy to play with it at that height. So all i have to say is dont worry to much about the height of your guitar do what feels comfortable for you so that you can play your best, and that is essentially all that matters at the end of the night is how well you play your guitar, not the height you had it at, so if you play better with it higher up then do that if you play better with it lower do that.
Gear

- Epiphone Les Paul
- SX Strat (w/ Fender Vintage Noisless Pickups, TBX Control, and an active circuit board for +25dB mid boost)
- Marshall DSL40C
+1 to what daryle_goh said. also practice while standing all the time. I know it sounds obvious but this is the exact cure for your problem of playing better sitting down. To help with your stage presence, practice moving around in your room (if you have the room to do so). Remember, 50% of your "audience wowing" is stage presence and simple/cheap guitar tricks. The other 50% is obviously your music. Hope this helps
i always change my strap hight
when its about 2 fists away from my waist, ican play realy easily and absolutley fly down the fretboard. but when its 2 its not much more difficult to play but, then you position the guitar so that cou can. and it sort of makes you look better.
but you want to worry more about moving around, killiing a member of the audience, doing a frontflip. JUST DONT STAND STILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dont Get me wrong im a fan of blink/boxcar racer and i play my guitar low out of habit..but try not to get into it

THIS is too low

THIS is too high (YES...it is)

Try to find in between it
haha

i've never actually tried conclusively to look good. I actually find it easier to speed pick when my guitar is lower (with limits obviously) but then it makes me not be able to play as high on the fretboard (tiny fingers) so i have to find that tradeoff. And it just ends up settling in a spot that looks good. It was actually lower than i thought i had it. was amazed to see pictures.
i have a 'white guitar'
Go for comfort, nothing will make you look more like a tool than playing badly, regardless of where you guitar is positioned. Plus if you have to post a thread about how to look cool, chances are you are never going to get it
My Setup:
Dean VMNT(Metallic Silver)
LTD DV8-R (Snow White)
Randall RG100sc
EHX Metal Muff
Quote by thesockmonster

Sarcasm: Killing any chance you ever had at scoring this guitar, since 1895.

THE TREND IS OVER!!!!
Well, look at it this way..
If you were playing a show with your band, would you want to..
a) Have the guitar low and play sloppy?
Or...
b) Have it high up, but ****ing rock the whole night?

Don't worry about your looks impressing anyone, they'll notice you much more if you play well.
It's better for people to think you're wearing your guitar high, as opposed to making heaps of mistakes.
Quote by ubtguitarist
Remember, guitarists are ENTERTAINERS, sometimes looking good is important if it keeps your crowd entertained. When guitarists stand completely still most of the time it gets a bit boring. A bit of emotion makes the performance feel authentic, so it doesn't look like you are going through the motions. Just don't go over the top, then you just look retarded. Make sure you play comfortably though.

see this guy gets it!!

dont just ****ing stand still and stare into the guitar neck...well unless your a jazz player i guess....

it just takes time getting used to your guitar a little lower, dont go to the punk extreme as i like to call it, way down at the knees, but dont ****ing use the guitar as a chin rest either

Example of playing with the guitar kind of high but still looking cool.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by El Cumanés

i think he looks so good with it so high because he's got lots of muscle bulk.
I play with mine just below my waist these days, after I began to find it uncomfortable playing it high.
But if you can put on a kick arse performance, then it doesn't matter if you have it at Tom Morello height.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
I'm more concerned at playing right and not making mistakes than looking cool
1979 Granada Les Paul
1983 Lado Flying V
2006 Fender Stratocaster
2007 Tenson Classical
2008 Epiphone Les Paul
2008 Yamaha Pacifica
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio
2011 Dean Z 79 Series
2011 Ibanez 12 String Acoustic
2012 Messina Classical
Hey guys,

Thanks again for all your contributions, I think my main problem was just not used to playing standing up (I haven't played in a band for a few years). I've been playing with it about my waist for a few hours today, and apart from a bit of back ache, all of my problems are effectively solved! My sweeps still need a bit of a work, but they weren't that great anyway!
i had the same problem lol. i thought i was going to do fine on stage until i realize i can't play the dam thing standing up lol.

the best way here is. set the strap at your appropriated length, and then start getting comfortable with it.
Quote by El Cumanés

"i play with my guitar too high to look cool so i have to do over the top poses to be cool" john petrucci
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking
I have mine at at my belly button, but might raise it a bit. Just find what's comfortable.