CDs
96 57%
Tapes
6 4%
Records
65 39%
Voters: 168.
Page 1 of 2
Do you prefer the plastic piece of charmless shit, easily broken and easily scratched, easily digitally replicated, with no possibility of an interesting inlay? - ie a CD

Do you prefer the old school charm of a homemade demo tape, xth generation, with the music partially obscured by the sound of the tape clicking?

Do you prefer the old school charm of a 12" record with huge, great artwork, perhaps decorated with razor wire, that actually looks like it could be worth $15?

As much as I like tapes I'm gonna have to go with records.
You vote

Before you say mp3 downloading, fuck off
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
I have 36,000 mp3s... but they are worthless. Nothing to hold on to, feels like your just sampling the band on myspace or whatever. That's why I buy stuff at the same rate I download... to actually own something. And there is not much like the feeling of picking up cheap a real rarity worth $100+. I remember trading for GISM - Detestation and I felt like I'd just got laid..
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

Music sounds the same on mp3 and CD, records sound different. One of the reasons records are making a comeback. People like to have a physical representation of music, like the cover, the record itself with the grooves and bumps.
Quote by MHDrunk
Before you say mp3 downloading, fuck off

Technically, that would mean that you prefer your music written onto a platter or solid state drive; meaning unlimited file size which would also contribute to the quality of the audio file.
I get cd's. I hate buying mp3's you get nothing for your money. But I'm looking into records.
i understand that lack of record player keeps a lot of people away from records and fair enough i suppose. if you're really into music though then its something to at least look into

I prefer records but your denigration of CD's is pretty stupid. They're the next best alternative.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Quote by tooliscool
Music sounds the same on mp3 and CD, records sound different. One of the reasons records are making a comeback. People like to have a physical representation of music, like the cover, the record itself with the grooves and bumps.
I reckon music sounds better on a cd then mp3's unless its lossless. Especially an ipod, they sound like total crap
Quote by John Petrucci
When it comes to practicing, I would spend about 63 hours a day
I honestly prefer tapes to CDs but whatever. Makes you sit down and fucking listen to the release you just bought, rather than listening to 2 tracks and skipping everything else

records, even though i listen to my ipod 99% of the time. ive got a decent little record collection.
I own a record player for each side of my family, so records are a lot closer to me. You get to hear it for what the song and the somewhat erroneous peripheral it is.
But I'll **** with a cd every once in a while because the artwork is small and compact enough for me to transport it to the loo when I want to take a dump.
CDs FTW!

Records are huge, can easily get scratched, can have good sound, could get totally distorted. Record players break easily too.

Casettes have no pros. When they got stuck in the tape player, when you were missing the little felt thing in the middle it no longer worked, you had to fast forward to every song instead of skipping, can have brutal sound quality.

CDs, smaller and easily portable, unlike the other two. They can scratch and skip, but they don't get messed up as much as Casettes and Records. Good sound quality.
I hope to be getting my own place soon and I'm gonna finally get round to getting a record player if I do because I reckon the bigger cases look badass.
Definitely CDs, but I'd love to get a record player and buy some records pretty soon. I got my first 7" the other day for collector's sake, but I wish I had something to play it on...
Quote by Trefellin
You know a music scene is fucked up when it becomes difficult to keep track of who killed who, who committed suicide and who alledgedly engaged in cannibalism.

LastFM
12" is the way to go. Analog recording is extremely underrated when it comes to the feeling of the music.

The ultimate old school feeling would be to hook up the record player to an old tube amplifier (soundsystem, not guitaramplifier). Similar to what I have
Last edited by Guitarmike123 at Sep 19, 2008,
well its good to see records are equal with cds. i wonder who voted for tapes

I was a '90s kid so CDs we're still new and we didn't have a player for those until '97 or something, so I grew up with tapes. They suck. No artwork on the cassette, sound quality was horrible and rewinding took ages.

Then came the CDs. Lifeless boring disposable little discs, but at least they sound good compared to cassettes. Portable, easy to use and you can just steal the music instead of spending tons of money in it.

Records are new to me. I'm intrigued by their big old school artwork, the analog sound, the whole audiophile culture around vinyl. The medium itself protects the music from too much compression so no loudness war there. Turntables are pretty and you can see the needle doing it's thing.

So vinyl for home, CD for everywhere else.
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
Quote by Chips-
Records are new to me. I'm intrigued by their big old school artwork, the analog sound, the whole audiophile culture around vinyl. The medium itself protects the music from too much compression so no loudness war there. Turntables are pretty and you can see the needle doing it's thing.

So vinyl for home, CD for everywhere else.

This.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
I've stayed away from records until now, but when I get some spare money this year, I'm going to buy a record player and start collecting records. I'll first amass the entire Sabbath discography in vinyl form. In audio quality, it's unbeatable.

Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
I usually only buy CDs, since they're the easiest to find of AC/DC, etc.

But if I find a record of a band I like, then it must be mine. My 1966 vintage Bill Haley and the Comets "Rock Around The Clock" record is teh sex.
I like CDs. They don't scratch if you're careful enough and I see no problem with the audio quality. But then, I'm no audiophile.
Got on the bus with me daysavaaaa
Not the least bit biased, are you?

Listen, all you experts in audio engineering with ears more sensitive than a bat's,

None of you would tell the difference between the same song through the same speakers, coming from either a cd or tape (if you were blindfolded and could only hear the music). The sampling rate of CD sound is high enough, so that the human ear can no longer distinguish the transitions between samples.

So all this "I prefer tapes or records because CDs sux LOLZ" is just feel good ego-massaging bullshit.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.

Listen, all you experts in audio engineering with ears more sensitive than a bat's,

None of you would tell the difference between the same song through the same speakers, coming from either a cd or tape (if you were blindfolded and could only hear the music). The sampling rate of CD sound is high enough, so that the human ear can no longer distinguish the transitions between samples.

So all this "I prefer tapes or records because CDs sux LOLZ" is just feel good ego-massaging bullshit.
+1
Got on the bus with me daysavaaaa

No, you're wrong. You are wrong. There is a difference between records and cd's.

You're right, I probably wouldn't be able to hear the difference between CD and vinyl if they were both mastered well.

I wonder how well these vinyl recordings on youtube represent the actual quality of the record.. http://www.youtube.com/user/rossenpomakov
Dancing in the moonlight

Martin D-28
CDs for me, mainly because vinyl is expensive, as are the players, and you can't (easily) transfer it to an MP3 player.

However, at some point I would like to get me some Guns N Roses vinyls
i would say vinyl is best- but i mainly but cds
vinyl is only necessary on very bassy music
now extra flamey
Quote by Say Ocean
No, you're wrong. You are wrong. There is a difference between records and cd's.

I never said there wasn't a difference between the two.

Quote by Chips-
You're right, I probably wouldn't be able to hear the difference between CD and vinyl if they were both mastered well.

I wonder how well these vinyl recordings on youtube represent the actual quality of the record.. http://www.youtube.com/user/rossenpomakov

Probably, reasonably well. Well enough so that if you just listen to it without really concentrating, you won't be going "Hey! This is analog!!!!1".

Even so, other factors are much more important to the quality of a song, than digital sampling vs analog. Such as: the quality of the recording, the quality of the speakers, the acoustics of the room you're in etc.

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Last edited by Mad Marius at Sep 20, 2008,
There's one song in there that I've been listening a lot lately, When The Levee Breaks by Led Zeppelin. It might just be a crappy mp3 that I have (info here), but I can definitely hear the difference between that and rossenpomakov's vinyl recording.
Dancing in the moonlight

Martin D-28
what few people voted for tapes! I voted for it cause you can put it in anything with the slot and record stuff. They are also what i grew up listening to... long car trips with my dad's muddy waters tapes
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by Chips-
There's one song in there that I've been listening a lot lately, When The Levee Breaks by Led Zeppelin. It might just be a crappy mp3 that I have (info here), but I can definitely hear the difference between that and rossenpomakov's vinyl recording.

Well, rossenpom..'s youtube song is also essentially an mp3, since as far as i know, youtube videos also use MPEG compression. So in this case, it's a matter of better mp3 vs shittier mp3.

Although I love CDS and tapes, vinyl is my favorite. I love collecting it, looking at the artwork. But the main thing is the sound. No compression, no digital coldness. Pure, analog warmth with lots of breathing space.

And to all the people saying "LOLZ mp3s are the future, all CDs and records and tapes are the same sound quality but cost money", you obviously have never even listened to records.
Page 1 of 2