If a cabinet is stereo, and has 2x 8ohm jacks on the back does that mean with 2x cables plugged in the whole cabinet is running at 4ohms? Or is it still running at 8ohms?
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
do you know if they are both input jacks? cause that just sounds dumb. one should be an input, and the other an output for daisy chaining another cab.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Your intuition is correct - two 8Ω sides running together gives a total of 4Ω for the cabinet, the same is if you're simply using it in mono.

Quote by UnsignedRecords
do you know if they are both input jacks? cause that just sounds dumb. one should be an input, and the other an output for daisy chaining another cab.

If it's a stereo cab, there will be dual input jacks. Not sure what sounds dumb about that.
Last edited by Nolly at Sep 19, 2008,
oh weird.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by Nolly
Your intuition is correct - two 8Ω sides running together gives a total of 4Ω for the cabinet, the same is if you're simply using it in mono.

Damn. The head puts out 10w more power than the cabinet is rated for (150w>140w) but only at 4Ω, at 8Ω the head only puts out 100w. So I'm stuck with a 4x12 cabinet with only 2 speakers that are usable.

Quote by sargasm
My H & K cab has a 8 ohm input and a 4 ohm input. When you plug into the 8 ohm, all 4 speakers work. Only 2 speakers on the right side work when you plug into the 4 ohm. ??shrugs??
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Last edited by Van Noord at Sep 19, 2008,
Quote by Van Noord
My H & K cab has a 8 ohm input and a 4 ohm input. When you plug into the 8 ohm, all 4 speakers work. Only 2 speakers on the right side work when you plug into the 4 ohm. ??shrugs??

That sucks... I have no clue about anything with H & K cabs. Sorry mate.

How common is it for people to carry a head into guitar center and try out cabs in the store...?
Quote by sargasm
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
It's no problem, I run it at 8 ohms mono with my Mesa cab. I just don't understand or use the 4 ohm input.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by `digitaL.braVo

How common is it for people to carry a head into guitar center and try out cabs in the store...?

Dont be shy. I did just that a few days ago. it shows you are interested in buying something, so they should cool with it.
Quote by dethfield
Dont be shy. I did just that a few days ago. it shows you are interested in buying something, so they should cool with it.

Hahah I figured. I'm pretty cool with a lot of the guitar center crew. I accidentally dress like them often. Sure sucks moving around a 4x12 cabinet and only getting to use 2 of the 4 speakers.

Speaking of which... if I have a (presumably) stereo cabinet, in which only two of the 4 speakers are working. And each speaker has a maximum of 35w it can take (since the whole cabinet is 140w... you add up the speakers max right, 35w x4 speakers?) but since only two speakers are working the actual cabinets max is 70w? My head is putting 100w into it? Would it technically be smarter to just run it in stereo, get all four speakers pumping and NOT be 30w over the max? Only be 10w...?

I just realized that right now lol.
Quote by sargasm
Last edited by `digitaL.braVo at Sep 20, 2008,
Third page . Anyone know anything about my above post?
Quote by sargasm