This is a memoir I had to write for my class. I thought I'd share it with you.

It's a long read, but I think it's pretty interesting.

Post the scarythings that have happened to you.

LONG READ:

Dead End
The Compelling Memoir of an Eerie Adventure

One night, a couple of years ago, my buddy got the idea that we would go look for a street sign to hang up in his room. And he though I would help him. So after his parents went to bed, we walked downstairs into the musty basement and sorted through his step-dad’s toolbox for a couple of monkey wrenches and sockets. After finding what he was looking for, he slowly opened the door. It creaked a little, but we both thought that the sound wouldn’t travel through two levels of floor.

We stepped out into the fresh air. It wasn’t quite yet fall, but summer was definitely gone. The air slightly smelled of dead leaves; and musty wood. My adrenaline shot up as it usually does when I’m up to no good. My friend, Ryan, motioned for me to stay as he crept up from under the porch where the basement door was. He looked up two stories to see if his parent’s light was on. When he motioned me to come up, I assumed the coast was clear.

Instead of going directly down the driveway, Ryan started walking to other side of the house and walked down the grass hill that was wet of night dew.

We walked slowly and quietly down the hill. It wasn’t too cold, but the adrenaline that was surging through my body made me glad I brought my hoodie. After clearing the driveway, there was ten to fifteen yards or so of concrete to clear before we reached the road. I glanced back up just to make sure his parent’s light was off and kept following Ryan.

After we cleared the driveway, we quickly walked another twenty feet before we started talking. Ryan really wanted a stop sign to hang up in his room, but I told him just to get a sign that no one could see in the first place. So we walked up to a rock wall that was at the end of the road that we where on. We leaned up against it and he said, “So dude, I think there is a No Parking sign up Town Mountain behind my house that is buried underneath all that damn ivy that’s everywhere.” I didn’t really know what he was talking about, so I told him, “Whatever, it’s late. We shouldn’t be out to much longer dude.”

We walked to where Cameron Street ended, and where NC 694 (Town Mountain Road) started on the South Side and walked up the side of the road and followed it up to where it paralleled Cameron Street. We followed it past the back side of his house up into where the No Parking sign was. He checked that no one was looking and started unscrewing the street sign.

Every once in a while, a car would come and we would duck into the ivy and wait for it to pass. It didn’t seem long at all when it was happening, but now that I think about it, we where probably there for a good thirty minuets before Ryan finally said, “Screw it dude, the nuts are locked so that if you don’t twist it the right way, they don’t come off.”

So we walked back down Town Mountain and turned left onto the short Cameron Street. We walked past the entrance to his parent’s driveway and when we where a ways away, he said that there was a Dead End sign a few hundred yards down.

I wasn’t into stealing stuff, but I liked the rush of being out at night, so I told my self what the hell, and nodded my head. So we walked down Arlington Street, and kept walking when it evened out, past the Blue House, past the White House, and turned left when we got to the 4 way intersection of Arlington and Fenner.

It was probably 2:30 in the morning now, and the nights where getting much cooler then they had been in the summer. Every now and then, a fall breeze would blow from the north, making it even colder. The adrenaline high had worn off for the most part, so the breeze just made me cold.

We walked up to the sign that was essentially at the base of the intersection. For fun, I ran up and jump-slapped the sign, but missed and hit the musty traffic pole. Ryan searched his jean-jacket pocket for his wrenches, and out of habit, I checked my jeans for my cell phone. When I didn’t find it, I didn’t think anything of it. I wasn’t exactly nervous.

Ryan screwed around on the sign, and sometimes cars would come down the hill. Every time they would come, I would hide behind the side of the cars facing towards the back end of the dead-end. After I did this a third time, Ryan told me just to hang out and not hide when a car came. It made it that much more suspicious.

After a good while or so, Ryan wasn’t making anymore progress, and I told him that I was going to go back up to the house. I started walking back up to the house, when I turned around and saw Ryan working on the sign still. So I sighed, and turned back around.

Right about the time that I got back to Ryan, another car came, and I just chilled with Ryan as he put his monkey wrenches back in his pocket. The car came by at a rather slow rate, but it looked like it was still going past us. But then, the car braked, and it reversed.

The car was a green, Ford Taurus. He backed up and then pulled forward, putting the car at a 45 degree angle with the intersection. My first thought was, “Oh, he’ll just give us a lecture on being out so late.” But still, my adrenaline was back up. The man inside the car rolled down the window. He was a big, lean black man, with yellow colored eyes that looked like he had been smoking weed. I thought that he looked like Darius Rucker from Hootie and the Blowfish.

He looked at us for a few minuets, when he finally said, “A, you kids got any weed.” Ryan, trying to act chilled, replied, “Nah man, we out.” The man backed his car up again, and came into the dead-end a little more and blocked the intersection at a steeper angle.

At this point, all I could help but do was look at Ryan and say, “Way to go you dumb ass; now look at what you’ve done.” He just looked right at the guy and said to me, “Just wait…”

The man in the car looked at both of us and said, “You kids wanna smoke?” At this point, Ryan was getting freaked out. He kept shifting the weight on his feet and seemed a little jittery. He put his hand in his pocket and said, “Hey man, I gotta phone. I don’t want any trouble.”

The man in the car looked at us and said, “What?, what?, what?, what?, what?, what?.”

It all happened so fast, Ryan started moving up towards the car a little bit. They way he had us backed in was so that the only way to move was to go to the hood of his car and walk at an angle to the sidewalk.

All of a sudden, Ryan yelled, “Run!”

He jetted, I jetted, tires squealed. I couldn’t help but thinking: This shouldn’t be happening. How is this happening? All of those training videos that the schools made us watch kept flashing so fast in my head. I just remember shouting, “Help! Shit! Help! Shit!!!”

We ran what seemed like a minuet, my heel was coming out the back of my shoe, and my shoe was falling off. Ryan seemed like a good six or seven feet in front of me. I kept running. I looked up and Ryan ran past a bush, back peddled, and jumped through the trimmed bush. The car engine was still loud and was right behind me. I did the most cliché dive into the bush. I kinda rolled, but kinda didn’t. I got up and Ryan ran though whoever’s yard it was and ran up to the bank and laid down. I came up and followed suit.

I don’t really remember crying though the entire running part, but as soon as we calmed down. I just kinda yelped and my mind kept replaying what could have been. Ryan dropped the F-bomb and told me to shut up.

We laid there for what seemed like 5 minuets. My time comprehension was so screwed up by now. Cars kept passing, and I silently sobbed. Eventually, Ryan told me get up and we walked over to the chain-link-fence that marked the boundary of where whoever’s property we where on ended, and where the NC Interstate system began. We hopped the fence, and I hugged Ryan, saying, “God, I freaking hate you. Thank you. God, I hate you.”

We walked down to the BP station and saw a cop car at the I-240 exit at Charlotte Street. We looked around to see if we saw a green Taurus, and when we didn’t, we decided that we’d play it safe and walk up the interstate and walk up the hill divider that divided I-240 from Town Mountain. We walked back up kinda quietly. After we walked over to Town Mountain Road, we took Cameron road back to his drive way and walked directly up towards his house.

We opened the door, walked inside his house, went up to his room, laid down, and started talking about what happened, and what could have been. ♣

tl;dr

A friend of mine wanted a street sign, so we snuck out and tried to get one. But we got caught up in some black dude who wanted to mug us.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by Powerhouse
Whoa...tidal wave of text.

*clicks back button*

it wasn't a wall of text but it was tl;dr
Fine...don't read it.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

Nice story dude. And Ryan sounds awesome

EDIT: My contribution:

I was staying over at my friend Randys house on a friday night and as usual we were playing GTA vice city (When that game was new lol) for a few hours when Randy tells me he wants to show me some lot he found that had a bunch of wierd stuff. It was about 11ish and I was bored so we decided to go to the lot.

It wasnt really a far walk but we had to cut through a bush to get there so it took a little while. We end up at the lot and start exploring to see whats there. In my opinion the place was a dump, random bits of metal and giant cement tubes everywhere along with these huge metal barrels. So of course we have to knock over a barrel to see whats inside and this green sludge type stuff starts pouring out, it kinda scared us so we flipped it back up before getting any of the whatever it was on us.

Anyway, after exploring for a while longer we see 3 older teenagers (I was like 10 at the time) come riding in on bikes, and I was always scared of teenagers so naturally I wanted to leave. but Randy didnt so I hung around for a bit until the 3 guys picked up metal rods on the ground and came at us.

Instinctively me and Randy took off running back towards his house and me, being the clumsy idiot I am, managed to trip over a branch running through the woods. God knows how, but I turned in a way so my shoulder hit the ground first and turned it into a roll where I ended up back on my feet without losing much speed (Sounds freaking epic in writing lol). We make it back to a busy street and slow down because we were pretty sure the 3 guys wouldnt hurt us in public.

We make it back to his house unharmed except a small cut on my shoulder from my roll type thing but id rather that then being hit over the head with a metal rod.

tl:dr - explore a lot with bits of junk, get chased by 3 teenagers with big iron rods, manage to get away.
Quote by xander307
that wasnt scary daryldom, it turned me on

Proud Canadian Eh?
Last edited by daryldom at Sep 19, 2008,
Ryan...yeah he's cool,
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

well...
I was 13.
there was this guy named dana...
Except I didnt know he was a guy until I was laying on his lap and he was stroking my hair.
then, I felt something on the back of my head.

*shiver*
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Seth: 1
A7X: 0
Wait, this dude just chased you? Or is there more to it that I missed?
Quote by Kenny77
Wait, this dude just chased you? Or is there more to it that I missed?

I guess so. He might have gotten in his car when he saw us running towards it. We might of scared him. I don't know.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

That's koo'. But you do know that since it was a Ford Taurus the transmission would have blown up before he could get up to speed. :P
Quote by daryldom
Nice story dude. And Ryan sounds awesome

EDIT: My contribution:

I was staying over at my friend Randys house on a friday night and as usual we were playing GTA vice city (When that game was new lol) for a few hours when Randy tells me he wants to show me some lot he found that had a bunch of wierd stuff. It was about 11ish and I was bored so we decided to go to the lot.

It wasnt really a far walk but we had to cut through a bush to get there so it took a little while. We end up at the lot and start exploring to see whats there. In my opinion the place was a dump, random bits of metal and giant cement tubes everywhere along with these huge metal barrels. So of course we have to knock over a barrel to see whats inside and this green sludge type stuff starts pouring out, it kinda scared us so we flipped it back up before getting any of the whatever it was on us.

Anyway, after exploring for a while longer we see 3 older teenagers (I was like 10 at the time) come riding in on bikes, and I was always scared of teenagers so naturally I wanted to leave. but Randy didnt so I hung around for a bit until the 3 guys picked up metal rods on the ground and came at us.

Instinctively me and Randy took off running back towards his house and me, being the clumsy idiot I am, managed to trip over a branch running through the woods. God knows how, but I turned in a way so my shoulder hit the ground first and turned it into a roll where I ended up back on my feet without losing much speed (Sounds freaking epic in writing lol). We make it back to a busy street and slow down because we were pretty sure the 3 guys wouldnt hurt us in public.

We make it back to his house unharmed except a small cut on my shoulder from my roll type thing but id rather that then being hit over the head with a metal rod.

tl:dr - explore a lot with bits of junk, get chased by 3 teenagers with big iron rods, manage to get away.

That green sludge was nuclear waste.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

One time me and a friend were walkin' down a street, so some guy comes at us saying "Why are you grebs?" (translation would be "Why are you into alternative music and/or dress sense" a greb if you don't know is meant to be someone who's into rock music), we got this a lot so we thought nothing of it did the usual "We aren't *attempt to walk off*" til some huge guy comes, seemingly out of nowhere and sort of blocks our route of exit, this is also okay, two of us, two of them, but then, suddenly, white trash, thousands of 'em.
It seemed that that 2, turned into 20 in a millisecond, was pretty odd, we got shit thrown at us and we got a lot of stuff shouted at us, but somehow, we got away without a scratch which was pretty cool.

Short while after this (like a few weeks) me, the same guy, and a few other people are walkin' down different road, and all of a sudden, these same people jump from over the wall of the YMCA, but it was very anti-climactic, some guy was walkin' his dog so they were scared to do anything, eventually they punched my friend in the face, and the other guys ran a mile, where I was just sorta walkin' at a steady pace thinkin "pricks", nothin' happened to me like.

Also some guy pulled out liek a big ass metal pole on me and the same guy from the last two stories, a couple of knives have been brandished too, but these always sorta walked off without anything crackin' off.

My town isn't too friendly as you can see.

Now at school, it's also pretty violent, a few years ago, all the "chavs" in my year decided to vandalise a local shop, and with that, me and my group just happened to be passing by, now one of these people is an attention seeking prick and spent about three months pretending to have tourettes, now this got us in a bit of shit, they gave chase, me and another guy scarpered away from the chase and a few people got a bit bashed about, but nothin' to call home about. Anyway, apparently one of the girls there spat on one of the girls who was in my group, so her older brother took it on to scare the shit out of this girl by pushing her about and threatening to spit on her to "See how she likes it".
So the next day at school, this group starts getting into our faces again, the same bitch spits at the same person too, there's a lot of near violent activity, and eventually we retreat to a large group of people we know, just to clear 'em off like, this prompted one (originally from greece) person to shout "go back to your own country" which struck me as odd. Anywho, a few minutes later, just about half the school come running across the school field, most of which trying to get us, one attempts to sorta jump and grab me to get me to the floor, but he missed, which was amusing as we were on a bank, but yeah loads of people are comin' after us, I only take a few hits luckily, and about half an hour later some teachers realise what's crackin' off.
So after this we get taken to the school library to write an "account" of what happened, so while this happens they all come knocking at the windows trying to threaten us. It was pretty ****ed up.

There's also the asian community at my school (asian pakistani, not like, oriental), and if you piss one of them off, you piss them all off, and it's not only a small percentage, half the school are asian, this has gotten myself and many others into some quite bad situations.
Though one time all the young ones decided to try to "take me on", and by this, I mean fire spitballs at me. When my londoner friend (from the Camden area) gets hit, he goes nuts, grabs one by the collar and pins him up against a wall, he's very capable of some pretty bad damage too, but he got stopped, though not punished as he wasn't seen being so rough with the kid. Was pretty amusing at the time.
My Contribution:
One night me and my friends were at my friend's house playing manhunt. I was 14 at the time. After the game we were all just hanging out and three of my friends Josh, Bill, and Vinny said that they would be back and they walked away. A couple minutes passed by and they came running back telling all of us to hide, so I hid at the side of my friends house with Bill, Vinny, and my brother Justin. A car came speeding down the road and parked on the sidewalk in front of my friends house. He got out of the car and screamed "I'm an off duty police officer and your under arrest!" and he walked up to Bill and started screaming then grabbed him by the throat then he came over to me and grabbed me by the shirt. I was scared shittless cause I had no idea what was going on so I started to cry a little. He started screaming at us some more and a neighbor came out who was also a cop and started telling the other cop to let us go. But he wouldn't, he wouldn't calm down. My other friends came out and told him that I had nothing to do with it. so I walked away. but I found out that Josh and Bill walked up to his house, knocked on his door and started dancing and sining "Its party time! Ba ba ba ba ba wooo! ba ba ba ba ba wooo!" then ran away. May 27th 2007 (I think)
tl:dr - hang out with your friends and get choked by a cop
I was just playing basketball outside of school right? So yeah we were chilling out, maxing, relaxing all cool. Shooting some basketball. When a couple of guys were up to no good. They had started to make trouble in my neighborhood.
I got in one little fight and my mom got scared and said "You're movin with your auntie and uncle in bel air"
Yes indeed. Life is ****ed up, especially when you are a teenager.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

one time I threw an orange at a moving car and the guy got out and chased me and my friends with something big on his hand, I was pretty scared but I ran away, trough some shortcuts, and he ran after me in the wrong direction
"Google Images is useless. I used it once to search for a photo of farm equipment and it showed me twenty thousand pictures of horse dicks."
Quote by Twist of fate
I was just playing basketball outside of school right? So yeah we were chilling out, maxing, relaxing all cool. Shooting some basketball. When a couple of guys were up to no good. They had started to make trouble in my neighborhood.
I got in one little fight and my mom got scared and said "You're movin with your auntie and uncle in bel air"

i'm embarrassed for both of us
Sounds like the guy wanted to smoke with you, thus why he said;

Quote by Big black guy
You guys wanna smoke?

Or am I missing something?

ts your story is way longer then it needs to be. there are so many useless details, like the part about you missing you phone, you foreshadowed that for later in the story but then it was never mentioned again. and when it came to the actual climax, you explained it in about 1 sentence with little detail and i had to reread it a couple of times to understand what even happened.

tl;dr you dragged out the boring bits and breezed over the interesting bits
I don't think I remember anything particulary scary, but right now there are some strange lights in the sky

Before I noticed them, my sister called me and asked if I could see three lights on the sky going back and forth up in the clouds (she was at a friend's house, 5km from here). So I walked out and had a look, and there they were! Three lights up in the sky, moving around in the same motion over and over.
So I called my mate who lives 15 km from me, and asked him to go outside to check it out, and he could see them too

They are still there! I guess it have to be a spotlight or something. Does anyone know if it is possible too see the light from a spotlight reflecting on the clouds? Or if they can be spotted at 15 km range?
Quote by Bennetts_strat
Sounds like the guy wanted to smoke with you, thus why he said;

Or am I missing something?

Maybe, or trying to get a feel for us, or entice us over to his car.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

Quote by ferretman
ts your story is way longer then it needs to be. there are so many useless details, like the part about you missing you phone, you foreshadowed that for later in the story but then it was never mentioned again. and when it came to the actual climax, you explained it in about 1 sentence with little detail and i had to reread it a couple of times to understand what even happened.

tl;dr you dragged out the boring bits and breezed over the interesting bits

Thanks for the input. This is just my rough draft, I'm gonna trim it down a lot anyways.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

that was a pretty mint story ts.. but unfortunately i dont havee any awesome stories
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..