Page 1 of 4
icronic
2,638 IQ
Note: I'm aware there is another competition running. I don't care. I've not the slightest bit of interest in post-hardcore, and to be perfectly honest seeing day after day of metal and it's various sub-genres is getting boring. I'll run this in such a way that it doesn't interfere with the Post Hardcore competition.

That said. What the heck is "Melodic Guitar Instrumental" you ask? That's pretty open to your imagination. The real focus of this competition is to see what kind of guitar based melodies you guys can come up with. Rock, blues, funk, jazz, folk, metal, world, or whatever you can think of. Please check the examples in the next post for ideas.

Anyway, if anyone is interested either post here or PM me and I'll add your name to the list.

DEADLINE: Nov 1st

Judge(s):
icronic
Td_Nights
b101
Its_Rock77

Participants:
Momentosis
MarchOfEternity
Madzää
gonzaw
PinkIsCool
..NEM..
adaeha
DarkTom666
Ryioku
MattAnderson111
Zao_89

RULES & GUIDELINES & JUDGING CRITERIA

Must be lead guitar focused.

Must have at least one solo
***remember, a melody and a solo are not the same thing, it should be obvious which is which***

Must be a minimum of 2:30 in length.

Submissions should be in GP4 or GP5 format, and the zip file you submit should be your UG forum name. Also, please make sure to note if it should be listened to with RSE on or off.

Judging Criteria is as follows;

Melody 30
Just that, how good your melodies are. Are they catchy and memorable?

Creativity 20
Just that, is it creative, or was it something we've heard a million times before? Metal writers beware, unless you do something spectacular, you'll get low marks for this.

Solo 20
Does it stand apart from the melody, is it well phrased, good note choice?

Flow 20
Does it sound and feel like a song, or does it feel like a bunch of random stuff put together?

Playability 10
I've been noticing lately a lot of songs aren't written with playability in mind. I've seen impossible jumps, chords with 12 fret stretches, or shred runs with fret choices that even Steve Vai would trip over. This is me pretty much giving away 10 free points... I hope.

Total 100
Last edited by icronic at Nov 3, 2008,
icronic
2,638 IQ
Examples

Brian Kahanek, Gemini
Blues Rock I suppose you'd call this one.

Allman Brothers, Jessica
Speaks for itself.

Jeff Beck
Don't think it's remotely possible to tab something like this in GP, but still can provide some inspiration.

Andy Mckee, Drifting
If you haven't seen this guys videos you should watch them. Now.

Paco De Ludica

Jesse Cooke

Michael Hedges

Andy Timmons, Electric Gypsy
One of my favorite guitar players.

Pat Metheny
Jazz guitar at it's finest.

Stevie Ray Vaughan, Lenny

Larry Carlton & Steve Lukather
A jazz guitarist and a shredder... what?! Well it works!

Joe Satriani, Surfing With the Alien
You knew Satch would make an appearance. Here he is.

Steve Vai

I could go on forever, but if that doesn't give you guys some inspiration to write something that is not metal related then it is a very sad day for the future of this instrument.

Andy Timmons, Headed for the Ditch
I lied. One more. Chickin' Pickin' isn't normally my thing, but this is the most amazing thing ever. Wish I could play like that.

Does anyone know if I can embed these instead of just linking them?
Last edited by icronic at Sep 19, 2008,
Td_Nights
UG Fanatic
608 IQ
I'll be happy to judge, as I enjoy instrumentals and am tired of all the Metal/sub-genres that keep being thrown into this forum.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
Its_Rock77
Anthony Green Fanboy <3
1,501 IQ
give me some time to think about this one. obviously PH is my first priority, but this seems interesting.

although the formal structure and organization of this comp intimidates me.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
icronic
2,638 IQ
Quote by Its_Rock77
give me some time to think about this one. obviously PH is my first priority, but this seems interesting.

although the formal structure and organization of this comp intimidates me.

I'll probably give about 2 weeks leeway once the PH comp is done. But it really depends on how many people plan on participating in both.

Cmon, the structure isn't that intimidating :P Most of the rules 90% of the people would have done without me ever saying anything to begin with, and half of it is simply defining the actual style of the competition, since it's not genre specific

As for the judging, my reasoning is pretty simple. I remember when I did the Rock competition judging the scores really felt random to me. Frequently I found myself adjusting scores when I came across a new song that was better than the others and I didn't really like doing that. I figured having a method to scoring would really make the whole process more fair.
Madzää
Failing at n00b language
1,550 IQ
I´m in as a participant
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
Banned for being the coolest April 08'er on UG.

please check out my own album:
almilano.bandcamp.com
icronic
2,638 IQ
The list has been updated, and I figure I'd move this topic back up the list.

On a side note that's completely unrelated. My girl completely lost her mind and bought me a $2000 Gretsch Duo Jet for my birthday. The thing has the most incredible clean sound I've ever heard. Pure bliss.
Td_Nights
UG Fanatic
608 IQ
Quote by icronic
The list has been updated, and I figure I'd move this topic back up the list.

On a side note that's completely unrelated. My girl completely lost her mind and bought me a $2000 Gretsch Duo Jet for my birthday. The thing has the most incredible clean sound I've ever heard. Pure bliss.

When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
Ailes
524 IQ
Im in... as an interested bystander :P
Seriously though, good guitar instrumentals are one of my favorite thing to listen to, and I've seen some really good composers of that here, so I anticipate some hopefully good output. Also props for the clean and concise effort -Op!
icronic
2,638 IQ
Quote by gonzaw
I don't know what to do though
I will wait till someone posts an entry to see how to do it...

We can still have bass and drums right?

Of course you can, and you probably should

Those youtube links should provide more than enough examples, or just check out any of the songs I've done (linked in my sig) to see kind of what I"m talking about.
icronic
2,638 IQ
Quote by Zao_89
Ill give it a shot. Wish I could get some definate deadlines for the comps though.

1-2 weeks after the Post Hardcore deadline, which I'm hoping they'll announce sometime soon.
icronic
2,638 IQ
Quote by MarchOfEternity
Mmmmm, would the quality of the "other" instruments (bass, drums, keys, whatnot) affect our score? My rhythm section's kinda lacking at the moment .

I suppose it depends on what you mean by lacking.

Unless you're doing an acoustic piece then the other instruments should be there. Do they have to be fancy and special? No.

Lets take Joe Satriani as an example. If you listen to the rhythm guitars, drums, bass in most of his songs and you'll notice it's all dead simple. The drumming is about as stock rock as you can get, the bass is either playing the the rhythm guitar riff or the root note of whatever chord he's playing. The rhythm guitar is generally playing a simple riff, or just real basic chord stuff. In the end all the rhythm section is doing is setting up the foundation for the melody.

As far as judging goes? Rhythm will have an effect on your overall score, but more in the way of how it supports the melody, and how it makes the song flow. While I may give out higher scores for something a little more creative and inventive I won't give marks against anyone for having something dead simple so long as it's supporting the melody.

Again, if there's any confusion I strongly urge everyone to check out at least a couple of the youtube links I posted.
MarchOfEternity
636 IQ
Quote by icronic
Those youtube links should provide more than enough examples, or just check out any of the songs I've done (linked in my sig) to see kind of what I"m talking about.

Is that some inconspicuous advertisement to your songs I see there?

Btw, we need deadline, I think. I can't work without a definite deadline! Damn you procrastination tendencies! lol

What I mean by lacking is that, well, they suck . They kinda detract from the whole melody and stuff, and is just there as a placeholder. I'm happy with the melody itself, but the backing is crap. So I'm hoping you wouldn't mind those and just focus on the lead guitar lol.

Oh, and bump .
Last edited by MarchOfEternity at Sep 30, 2008,
Its_Rock77
Anthony Green Fanboy <3
1,501 IQ
I actually laughed out loud at that comment.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
..NEM..
UG's only... UG'er?
577 IQ
I'm in, if the deadline isn't too soon.
"A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping through the earth, bodies in the streets, cities turned to dust. Retaliation..."

Check out my amazing band!
An Abstract Illusion
Portuguese_boy
1,474 IQ
I'll enter, I already posted a song on here, but I don't know if it can enter, it has some pretty melodic guitar parts, especially towards the end.

The thread is called Orchestral/shred/melodic/winter metal (song still untitled) have a listen and see if it's good enough for this contest.
icronic
2,638 IQ
Quote by Portuguese_boy
I'll enter, I already posted a song on here, but I don't know if it can enter, it has some pretty melodic guitar parts, especially towards the end.

The thread is called Orchestral/shred/melodic/winter metal (song still untitled) have a listen and see if it's good enough for this contest.

Just to be fair to everyone it's got to be a new song and not something you've previously posted.

Anyway, the deadline is going to be Nov 1st. That should give ample time to get thing's finished up. I'll move the date forwards if everyone has their submissions in before that though.
adaeha
MEHBLEARRGH
435 IQ
hmmmz, my post appears to have been deleted, but I'm on the list anyway, woo. Nov 1st is enough for me, as I've already started anywayz, but not sure what sound to go for yet O_o (either kinda dark/atmospheric thing or just a truly epic thing :P)
Portuguese_boy
1,474 IQ
Quote by icronic
Just to be fair to everyone it's got to be a new song and not something you've previously posted.

Anyway, the deadline is going to be Nov 1st. That should give ample time to get thing's finished up. I'll move the date forwards if everyone has their submissions in before that though.

It is new, I posted it yesterday at night.
adaeha
MEHBLEARRGH
435 IQ
Quote by Portuguese_boy

Apparently thats not new enough O_o
icronic
2,638 IQ
Quote by Portuguese_boy

By new I mean something that hasn't been posted on here, and is pretty much written for the express purpose of this competition.

Other than that, the song you posted isn't really suited for this competition. I mean no offense in saying this, because it really is a good song, but it's the exact type of song I'm trying very hard to avoid, and as such would score very low.

Again, you want to know what I'm looking for, check the examples. I can't say that enough.

While I won't say that a metal piece is unwelcome here, I will say that you're going to have to do something pretty damn special if that's what you're going to do. These boards are already saturated with Metal, and I'll go as far as to say about 90% of the music posted here fits into one of Metals many categories. I've gotten rather bored of doing C4C, because as good as many of the songs posted are, they're all starting to blend together, especially since most metal music lacks a real leading melody or theme other than the standard "Dark and Angry" feel. That and everytime I heard a song with primarily consists of constant 16th note kick drum shots, I feel the overwhelming urge to hunt down and kill the author of said song
gonzaw
UG's Secret Agent
6,087 IQ
Well, my song doesn't have 16th note kick drums if that makes you spare my life
Only 1 section of it is metal/hard, and I am at the beginning, I will surely make it into a whole flamenco stylish song (I am sure it won't be flamenco cause I know shit about flamenco)....
icronic
2,638 IQ
Quote by gonzaw
Well, my song doesn't have 16th note kick drums if that makes you spare my life
Only 1 section of it is metal/hard, and I am at the beginning, I will surely make it into a whole flamenco stylish song (I am sure it won't be flamenco cause I know shit about flamenco)....

Mr, the competitions not metal?! I'm in!

Besides, I won't need to hunt you down to kill you. The uptight Flamenco dudes will do it for me, for even mentioning their beloved music and tainting it in unimaginable ways. (If you've ever had a conversation with anyone serious about the style you'll know exactly what I mean)

Hah, sorry I'm not picking on you I swear. Anyway like I said, Metal/Metalish Parts aren't unwelcome, so long as you at least try to do something to break free of the box most songs in this forum are in, and a Flamenco Metalish type song sounds like it could be cool. Kind of like Three... Without the shitty singer.
gonzaw
UG's Secret Agent
6,087 IQ
Quote by icronic
Mr, the competitions not metal?! I'm in!

Besides, I won't need to hunt you down to kill you. The uptight Flamenco dudes will do it for me, for even mentioning their beloved music and tainting it in unimaginable ways. (If you've ever had a conversation with anyone serious about the style you'll know exactly what I mean)

Hah, sorry I'm not picking on you I swear. Anyway like I said, Metal/Metalish Parts aren't unwelcome, so long as you at least try to do something to break free of the box most songs in this forum are in, and a Flamenco Metalish type song sounds like it could be cool. Kind of like Three... Without the shitty singer.

It is that I started composing it just for fun, and because I am lazy, I thought I would use it for this one. It is was the first time I used phrigian (I made a locrian one recentrly, so what the hell not a phrigian?), so I made a little 16 bar thing, but then added a little metal (I suppose) thing, because I didn't know what the hell to do with it next (surprisingly, it is maybe the only metal I ever composed, just listen to my melodic metal entry, it is some weird stuff).

Of course it is not flamenco, but I mean I am going for that fingerpicking acoustic style..
AngrySockMonkey
Straight Outta Compton
1,354 IQ
Count me in.. Post Hardcore is not my thing .

.. Prepare yourselves for a Satanic Piece of Extreme Blasphemous Proportions that will Send you into an Abyssal State of Infinite Hate and Bloodlust
We can only guffaw at all the humbug we are told about martyrs.
MarchOfEternity
636 IQ
1st of Nov, eh? Isn't that a bit too long? I'm afraid my procrastination tendencies might get in the way, 'cause of such a long deadline . Anyway, I'm about 75% done with mine, so whatever. And I can guarantee you that it isn't metal... and it's even kinda poppy!

Quote by AngrySockMonkey
Count me in.. Post Hardcore is not my thing .

.. Prepare yourselves for a Satanic Piece of Extreme Blasphemous Proportions that will Send you into an Abyssal State of Infinite Hate and Bloodlust

Oh, you mean low score?

Just kidding