I mean think about it, all the great guitarists didn't have the internet back then, yet they're awesome and original, what are we? Just trying to play songs harder than we can? And if this was made, can you point me to the topic? Thanks! Just opinions.
Join cashcrate to make easy money. It may be tedious, but it does indeed work! Easily make $100 in about a week filling out random surveys.
No.

We have a better learning resource than they had. We simply have an advantage. It's a lot easier to work out these harder guitar parts, written by professional guitarists, because of tab. It does not however, make us better writers.

Quote by XianXiuHong
BEFORE the internet.

Yes, you are cheating yourself. Learn every song you ever want to by ear, and see how much we care.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
We're not cheating any more than programmers who use previously built physics engines to build upon and create better engines are cheating. We're using readily available items to learn the basics, and then improving upon what we know and stepping off with some experience.
Quote by top shelf

I couldn't do it [masturbate] with the cast on however. That's when I dug out my baby sister's stuffed animals and went to town

Quote by Tubyboulin
Is it bad that I imagined you saying that in a really sexy voice?
Quote by XianXiuHong
There are these things called books, some of them had some music transcriptions in them. Books were a way of obtaining information BEFORE the internet.

Amazing, huh?

I second that.
If there's no one beside you when your soul embarks ,
then I'll follow you into the dark.
I use tabs but I still devote a decent portion of my playing to writing original stuff, if thats what you mean. Otherwise its just a modern advantage, you arent cheating yourself by using new inventions, when they surpass another.
Quote by Zardokk
Everybody must get stoned! (If they are me.)
i think we re. they learned everything by ear and i'll admit i can't pick up any more than basic chords by ear, much less a solo.
member #4 of the lynyrd skynyrd fan club!

Hell yaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

Quote by wshnationals
hell yes, redneckrocker2, hell yes.
Quote by LazyLatinoRocke
Reading sheet music makes it more satisfying when you finish learning a song.

Why?

In the end, it's just an instruction manual.

Would you rather read the manual designed for your car, or one designed for cars in general?
I think anyone who has also used an electronic tuner is also cheating.

These are my beliefs.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
reading notation is much easier to me though beccause im in the school band also
Quote by civildp1
I think anyone who has also used an electronic tuner is also cheating.

These are my beliefs.

I also believe that we should only play guitars we've hand built ourselves, using nothing but stones for tools.
%90 of the time when I look up a tab it's wrong, so I end up having to hear it out myself anyways.
We're only strays.
Quote by saphrax
I also believe that we should only play guitars we've hand built ourselves, using nothing but stones for tools.

You mean there are people who DON'T hand-build their guitars with stone?

WTF?!?!
people also didnt have pr0nz back then

I believe this also comes in the ancient medium of 'book' that xianxuhong spoke of.
return 0;

Quote by jsync
And I've eaten at some of Australia's best pizzerias.

SOUNDCLOUD
. com / fancy-elle

WOAH WAO WOAH....Cheating? Look familiar? That's right it's SHEET Music. For Sheeters, like YOU!

It's been around since the time of Mozart! (Even longer!)
Mozart? SeriouslY? NO F*CKING WAI!
Tabs are ok if you know what you're doing. There's a lot of people who don't even know what chords are and only read tabs... that's when you cheat yourself. You have no idea what you're doing if you're blindly copying. But... the reson I look for tabs now that I'm more experienced is because I'd rather concentrate more on the technique of covering a certain song, rather than taking days trying to tab it out. The way I see it is, why waste your time tabbing out someone else's song??? When I learn a song, I'm just learning the player's technique. So i think it's smarter to go straight to it. I'm not gonna get any credit for tabbing someone else's work. For that, I write my own stuff.
"Recycling and speed limits are bullshit...They're like someone who quits smoking on his deathbed."
yeah we're not *really* cheating ourselves. It is a slight problem with it now and then being innacurate, and people not bothering to learn music theory so you end up with half-arsed half-skilled guitarists. My brother has been playing guitar for about 5 years off tabs, and never learned theory. He can play stuff from tabs i obviously cant, but if i ask him to improv in C major he'll give me a blank look etc. and its guitarists who end up like this who are the problem.
Quote by StonaLemons
yeah we're not *really* cheating ourselves. It is a slight problem with it now and then being innacurate, and people not bothering to learn music theory so you end up with half-arsed half-skilled guitarists. My brother has been playing guitar for about 5 years off tabs, and never learned theory. He can play stuff from tabs i obviously cant, but if i ask him to improv in C major he'll give me a blank look etc. and its guitarists who end up like this who are the problem.

You don't need theory to be great.
Quote by StonaLemons

see, I've pretty much done the same, but somehow, I know how to do this. Granted not brilliantly, but I can.

If I'm actually writing, then I could easily do that.

*shrugs*

I juts don't really know where I've got it from though.
Quote by metaldud536
You don't need theory to be great.

You dont need a car to travel from the west coast to east coast of US but it ****ing helps.
^excactly. i'm not a theory buff. but it does help. i'm still learning
"Recycling and speed limits are bullshit...They're like someone who quits smoking on his deathbed."
Quote by StonaLemons

I'm sorry, but if both methods can be used to entertain people, I don't see what the problem is. The problem is when people look at music as something so much greater than just entertainment.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I'm sorry, but if both methods can be used to entertain people, I don't see what the problem is. The problem is when people look at music as something so much greater than just entertainment.

2 scenarios. 2 guitarists in each.

In one neither know music theory; the lead guitarist comes up with a riff. Lead guitarist and rhythm guitarist then try to figure out what chords will sound okay behind it.

In the other both know music theory; the lead guitarist comes up with a riff. He says to his rhythm 'hey i just came up with this riff in E major.' The rhythm then proceeds to play chords that will sound good behind his riff.

Now obviously both can come out with good sounding stuff, but the second scenario is just so much easier - hence the why walk when you can drive analogy.
Quote by StonaLemons
2 scenarios. 2 guitarists in each.

In one neither know music theory; the lead guitarist comes up with a riff. Lead guitarist and rhythm guitarist then try to figure out what chords will sound okay behind it.

In the other both know music theory; the lead guitarist comes up with a riff. He says to his rhythm 'hey i just came up with this riff in E major.' The rhythm then proceeds to play chords that will sound good behind his riff.

Now obviously both can come out with good sounding stuff, but the second scenario is just so much easier - hence the why walk when you can drive analogy.

It would also be easier to just play guitar and sing by yourself instead of having a band at all. By your logic, we should have no bands because its easier to do something solo.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

do you know why people get steadly (arguebly) better at playing an intrument over the generations? It's not the calcium in your water, it's knowledge.

Quote by Jack Off Jill
It would also be easier to just play guitar and sing by yourself instead of having a band at all. By your logic, we should have no bands because its easier to do something solo.

using your logic it's easier to not be born. Don't over simplify it. This anology had a point. If you missed it then more fool you.
Last edited by GaijinFoot at Sep 19, 2008,
Quote by Jack Off Jill

Thats not my logic at all. I agree, for people with no music theory knowledge it is far easier for them to do something solo (assuming they have ONLY one instrument playing). And even then you can say the singing is a second intrument, and it'd be far more difficult to make vocal melodies - you can tell in some bands the singer mainly follows near to the root note of the chord being played, whilst other bands the singing as far more exploritory. (sorry just my mind wandering and most of that paragraph had no real relevance but nevermind...)

But i never said we should have no bands. By your logic we shouldn't do anything harder at all because other things are easy. Why go through university and get a well paying job in something you enjoy when you can be flipping burgers in mcdonalds eh? its far easier isnt it?
Quote by StonaLemons
Thats not my logic at all. I agree, for people with no music theory knowledge it is far easier for them to do something solo (assuming they have ONLY one instrument playing). And even then you can say the singing is a second intrument, and it'd be far more difficult to make vocal melodies - you can tell in some bands the singer mainly follows near to the root note of the chord being played, whilst other bands the singing as far more exploritory. (sorry just my mind wandering and most of that paragraph had no real relevance but nevermind...)

But i never said we should have no bands. By your logic we shouldn't do anything harder at all because other things are easy. Why go through university and get a well paying job in something you enjoy when you can be flipping burgers in mcdonalds eh? its far easier isnt it?

I think what is easier or not is the wrong way to look at it. think of it as language, one is japanese the other english. you can demonstrate what you want with pictures but wouldn't it be better if you could talk japanese?

I don't know about that Jack off Jill but my highest goal is to be able to improv jam with anyone. you can't do that without theory.
Well, I see where you're coming from but, I think expression is hard to develop without being able to play full songs exactly like the guitarist. Once you can do a few songs pretty well learn some scales and get improvising/adding expression and originality to songs and soon writings music.

P.S.: I am pretty expressive with what I play, I accent for some pretty cool effects.

Tabs =/= No Originality

If anything tabs help you to develop your skills faster, to get to a point where originality is possible.
Quote by SamuelBirkett
wtf r u say make no sensical

SAVE THE MUDKIPS
Quote by StonaLemons

That is my point. Just because something makes something easier, that doesn't mean that is the right way for everybody.

Also, the last bit.. it isn't 'by my logic' because I don't agree that making things easier is the right way to do it. That said, I believe in studying theory. But only because I like it.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by gagadude

If anything tabs help you to develop your skills faster, to get to a point where originality is possible.

that's what i'm saying. forget taking days tabbing out someone else's work. learn technique... then you come up with your own stuff after learning so much. but, behind the scenes you learn theory. and you get a lot of "Oh... that's what I was playing?"