Poll: Which guitar do you suggest?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which guitar do you suggest?
Dean ML79F ( will change pickups)
2 4%
Jackson DK2M
11 21%
Jackson RR3
8 15%
Jackson KE3
4 8%
Esp ltd MH-400
6 11%
BC Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
3 6%
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR (used because of price)
5 9%
Schecter C-1 Blackjack ATX FR (used but I love the fact it has Blackouts)
6 11%
Other (please specify)
8 15%
Voters: 53.
Hey UG I at long last have a shot to buy a new guitar. My epi LP has served me amazingly well since I first got it and I'm sad to see it go but I am selling it and use this money with some other cash to finally upgrade a bit. I really want a guitar with a double locking tremolo. I rarely use more than one tuning at a time and I thought it would be cool to have a guitar with double locking trem. I have always been a non-trem user out of fear of not being able to use and maintain a double locking trem but after stumbling onto the owners manual of an ESP I find that its not that complex at all. I play rock and metal mostly.

Think metallica, black sabbath, Randy Rhoads work, aerosmith, hendrix, pantera, vader etc I really want a fast neck, trem versitility to play cleans and high gain and a really good quality guitar I can depend on. It will be used for practice, jamming and some gigging but not touring or anything.

I really would like to try active pickups but I fear 2 things, 1) I will have a very generic sound ( mainly emgs not using the guitars body woods etc which is why I'd love something with SD blackouts but I can go for emgs at the moment if im going active) and 2) if I need to use someone elses amp during a friendly jam or something and it doesnt like emgs I fear looking like the guy with the shitty sounding guitar.

The amp I will be using is my Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 and I have no doubt it can work either active or passive pups to their best. I really am not the biggest fan of the strat design and I like the shape of the ML's and V's and explorers but theres some really good deals on strat styles so I dont mind. I would really liek to buy new but used is always an option. Anyways I would just really like to have some basic opinions from everyone and maybe some suggestions of different directions I can go if ive missed any nice guitars. I will go try as many as I can out but I'm looking for a starting point.

PS The BC rich V I'm putting in the poll seems liek a really awesome deal but I'm sure Im gunna hear negative things about it. Thats your opinion but please back it up with some explanation. I wil lcheck reviews on all guitars and Thank you from everyone who posts and please leave a reason for your decision if you do.

EDIT:Budget 650$-750$ canadian sorry was writing the poll :P Sorry for the long post hope that helped.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Last edited by Slanderous666 at Sep 19, 2008,
that is one hell of a wall....

perhaps look in the ibenez department?
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
Quote by JBizzle Da Truf
that is one hell of a wall....

perhaps look in the ibenez department?

Not a big fan of ibanez but I will definitely try one or 2 again on my next trip to compare.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Ghold125
How about
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-FUTURA-CustomFX-with-Floyd-Rose-Tremolo-Electric-Guitar?sku=515616

but honestly, idk if active pups are right for you, but it's your choice

rying to try something other than epiphone at the moment but it seems liek a good option, I'll try to test it out if I get the chance. Actives may not be suited for me and that's definitely something I do wonder about.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Get an Ibanez S series. They be bitchin for your styles of music.

1980s Ibanez RG470
Epiphone G400
Peavey Vypyr 30
Vox DA5
Vox Cybaby Wah
Monster Cables
and Red Jazz IIIs

I donated 2020 grains of rice

http://freerice.com/index.php
Quote by berysLTD_h-50
just about all those guitars you have up there have active pups
so, ummmmmm
did you know that?

4 out of 9 options use actives so thats not really "just about all" and I might go for a guitar with actives I can always exchange it if I dont like the sound. If I did get one with actives I would definitely do a 18V or 27V mod.

Quote by Superstrat101
I think a Jackson Kelly with Seymour Duncans would be pretty sweet for you. The JT Trem is also pretty sweet, rivaling even the great Floyd Rose IMO.

Of course, you'd have to deal with the body shape... but it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/...itar?sku=511669

Yes I really am looking hard at the DK2M, the RR3, and the KE3. Love them all and they all seem to have pretty awesome necks. Wish they were not bolt on but I haven't heard and problems with sustain. The only thing with the KE3 is the fact that I have to pay a tech to put a tone knob in but that can be done later I suppose.

Quote by MulanoSG
Get an Ibanez S series. They be bitchin for your styles of music.

I have taken a look at them and they seem like a good option but the pickups really bring them down for me. Also I have heard some people say that the ZR trem is godly and is liked more than an OFR and some say its stiff and horrible. Can anyone give me anymore info on this?

At the moment Im taking a hard look at the RR3, DK2M, ESP MH-400 and a blem Schecter hellraiser sunset FR in my price range. I'd really appreciate some opinions.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
The ZR trem IS godly. That trem is DEFINITELY not stiff. The pick ups are okay but I would switch out the bridge for a Dimarzio Evolution myself. The guitar is, as I said, PERFECT for your specs.

1980s Ibanez RG470
Epiphone G400
Peavey Vypyr 30
Vox DA5
Vox Cybaby Wah
Monster Cables
and Red Jazz IIIs

I donated 2020 grains of rice

http://freerice.com/index.php
out of those 9 guitars i would suggest the dean and the Jackson DK2M. Theres 1 thing i would recommend doing to ur current epiphone or if u buy a new 1. Put EMG 81s and 60s is the epiphone, it will suit your style and ur buget and it will sound amazing. But in the end its really ur choice.

Plz reply
Last edited by LeD_ZePpElIn_ at Sep 20, 2008,
Quote by LeD_ZePpElIn_
out of those 9 guitars i would suggest the dean and the Jackson DK2M. Theres 1 thing i would recommend doing to ur current epiphone or if u buy a new 1. Put EMG 81s and 60s is the epiphone, it will suit your style and ur buget and it will sound amazing. But in the end its really ur choice.

Plz reply

I spent well over 150$ on the DImarzios plus the big thing I want is a Trem. Thanks for the recommendations though ill check them out.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni