So, I wanna learn C++ because it is one of the most common programming languages for computers (I know there's a computer thread but this wasn't about a computer issue its programming). I looked up a tutorial for it and found you needed compiler. So I tried downloading all this crap and I couldn't get anything to work. Could someone help me out to learn this? If you know how, how did you learn?
Rock On

Quote by Shard Heilia
Nothing. Is Better. Than Guitar.

I Receive Nourishment From My Amplifier. Food Is For The Weak.

Quote by Thrace
Listen to Machine Head, you'll want to headbutt someone right in their pussy.
if you cant get the crap to work you shouldn't be a programmer, but seriously start off easy on something like visual basic.
return 0;

Quote by jsync
And I've eaten at some of Australia's best pizzerias.

SOUNDCLOUD
. com / fancy-elle
Quote by Monolith295
I would advize C++ For Dummies

+1

Dummy.
My Rig:

Guitars:
Schecter C-1 Classic (Deep Sea Green)
Jackson DK2M Snow White Edition
BC Rich Mockingbird Special X

Amps:
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 212
Roland Microcube

RIP Kevin Robert Swerdfiger
September 15 1991 - May 16 2008
Quote by Julz127
if you cant get the crap to work you shouldn't be a programmer, but seriously start off easy on something like visual basic.

Visual Basic sucks. Try Python or Perl. I suggest getting O'Reilly's Learning Python or Learning Perl for beginners.

Edit: And if you have that kind of mindset, I don't think you should become a programmer. Never be afraid to ask questions or make mistakes - that's where most of the learning takes place.
Last edited by acersucks at Sep 19, 2008,
C plus plus!!!!!!!!!!! wow you must have done an amazingly adequate job on something
UG's Prodigal Son
Hm, maybe I'll give one of those a shot.
Rock On

Quote by Shard Heilia
Nothing. Is Better. Than Guitar.

I Receive Nourishment From My Amplifier. Food Is For The Weak.

Quote by Thrace
Listen to Machine Head, you'll want to headbutt someone right in their pussy.
I recommend Perl.
Abbreviated version:
Quote by Lots of People

Quote by :.FireStorm.:
+1 Maus24

:.FireStorm.: - #15 poster in the thread, #1 in my heart.

o _o
/###############
|###############
\###############

Member #6 of the "Shoop da Whoop" club
pm C.C. Deville to join
Quote by XxXshadowboyXxX
Hm, maybe I'll give one of those a shot.

Perl is on my list of languages to learn, but I'm currently learning Python. The reason I'm against Visual Basic is that it's Windows based only - which really limits you. Python and Perl can be used platform independently. Which means you can use them on Linux or OS X based computers with little to no changes to the scripts.

If you go to Python's official website you can download the Python interpreter which comes with IDLE (one of Python's many developing environments). Or if you have a Unix based computer (linux or OS X) just open up Terminal or Konsole and type "python".

Edit: and if you still want to stick with C++, do a google search for "borland" or "dev c++" for a good compiler.
Last edited by acersucks at Sep 19, 2008,
I would suggest just kind of....diving into it.... almost....

There are some really good books out there such as C++ for dummies, but you could also just download Dev C++, and google some tutorials.....

C++ is a very hard language to start on, and being in computer programming, I think that starting with JAVA can give you a VERY solid start in things.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Lol at all the people saying that C++ is to hard to start with. I am taking a class right now on C++ programming and it is the first experience with a computer language ever. It is not that difficult.

Anyways here is the free compiler my teacher has us use:
http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html

And the book we use:
http://www.amazon.com/Sams-Teach-Yourself-Days-5th/dp/0672327112/ref=sr_11_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1221893009&sr=11-1
I'd advise C# for a bit first, it's much easier to understand first althoguh similar.
for a compiler, get Microsoft Visual C++ (the express edition) since its free. Then you'll have to learn some of the basics...A good book would be "C++ Programming for the absolute beginner" ...it can become rather lengthy but once you start Windows Programming it can get interesting:P

edit: I read that people think its hard to learn, but its not, its quite easy...C++ was my first programming language and I do admit I had some problems while learning the basics but some things you're just going to have to look into more deeply. Also, it helps to practice what you learn each chapter. Once you've got the basics down, you can download game development libraries such as the Dark GDK (which is for MSVC only) and start programming some games, even with 3D graphics.
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
Last edited by HuckIt at Sep 20, 2008,
1) Get a Unix-based environment - the most common of these is a Linux distribution. Ubuntu and Fedora are the most popular.

2) Download gc++.

3) Learn how to write Makefiles.

4) Learn about the make command.

5) Write C++ programs.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by XxXshadowboyXxX
So, I wanna learn C++ because it is one of the most common programming languages for computers (I know there's a computer thread but this wasn't about a computer issue its programming). I looked up a tutorial for it and found you needed compiler. So I tried downloading all this crap and I couldn't get anything to work. Could someone help me out to learn this? If you know how, how did you learn?

for compiling?

linux is the answer

seriously dude compiling on linux is so much easyer then windows. i attempted to do it on windows but shit didn't work so... linux is the answer
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way
Quote by acersucks
Visual Basic sucks. Try Python or Perl. I suggest getting O'Reilly's Learning Python or Learning Perl for beginners.

Edit: And if you have that kind of mindset, I don't think you should become a programmer. Never be afraid to ask questions or make mistakes - that's where most of the learning takes place.

python and perl are scripting languages.

java or c++ are probably the best places to start
Java is all bad. If you want a good OOP experience, go with C++.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Diamond Dave
python and perl are scripting languages.

java or c++ are probably the best places to start

no. python is a programming language
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way
Quote by cyclobs
no. python is a programming language

No. Python is a scripting language.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
I still think he would be better off with JAVA

I mean, JAVA is not overly complicated and introduces the programmer to basic concepts, basic syntax, and a true OOP experience. VB doesnt give that option, and is almost too simple.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
I strongly recommend the books on C++ written by Herbert Schildt.

Quote by Julz127

Could you have given any shittier advice?
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Marius, if you were any more kind my fat dick would pop off and launch into space.
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
Last edited by terrencemaddox at Sep 20, 2008,
Quote by Brendan.Clace
I still think he would be better off with JAVA

I mean, JAVA is not overly complicated and introduces the programmer to basic concepts, basic syntax, and a true OOP experience. VB doesnt give that option, and is almost too simple.

exactly, theres not a whole lot you would want to use java for really but its a good language to learn programming with.
For the compiler, I would really suggest you download Visual C++ Express or just get a "student version" (if you know what I mean :p of Visual Studio.

I can't really remember the book I used to learn C++, but I know it was from Deitel and Deitel, and that it was pink . It was orientated towards game programming though, but it a really awesome book.
I'm in the process of learning C++ for my games development course

It's very hard to do

Visual basic is easier and so is Java, so start with them
Empty Space