Right now I have a Stagg LP copy that sucks, and I'd like to get a new guitar, so I found that Ibanez guitars are quite cheap for what they deliver. I'm highly interested in the RG370DXL (which I assume that it's the same as the right handed model). Does it sound good with clean/low gain overdrive? Will I need to change pickups? I mostly play blues and rock, but sometimes i like some Metallica.
i have the RG370DXL and yes its the same as the right handed model. its a good all round guitar and so far everything i've played on it has sounded good and i haven't needed to change anything about it. i don't play much blues but its deffo good for rock
Yeah, I'd check out the artcore.

Actually, something that I've just gotten turned on to is the Gretsch Electromatic series. REALLY good guitars for the price.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
You can play blues on any guitar.
do you want a floating trem?
------------------------------------------------

Yes, if possible.
I've looked the other two Ibanez guitars for us lefties (the GRG170DXL and SA260FML), but the RG is the only one with a FR, the others have non-locking bridges. I've never seen or played a FR, so I don't know how it really is to tune this thingie. I'm also concerned about the sustain, since everyone uses Ibanez for shred metal and hi-gain stuff, I'm worried that it sounds weak on clean.

EDIT: Hey guys, I need a left handed model!
Last edited by ise_slc at Sep 19, 2008,
dont go buy some random ass ibanez from a dealer for way more then you need to pay. go into some music stores and pawn shops and shit and look around for something with a sound you like and buy it. plus you can probably haggle and get it for cheap. unless you're damn good and know exactly what you want theres no reason to buy a brand new guitar thats expensive and you're way better off getting something good used then getting something thats made to be cheap.
just recently i picked up a brand new 60's reissue strat for 450$ brand new off craigslist. we met at a guitar center and they had the same exact guitar hanging on the wall for like 800.
point is craigslist is the ****in shit and buy used guitars.
and btw i ****in hate ibanez precisely because i play blues and rock. ibanez may make less-metal guitars but you aren't going to get one that sounds like a strat or lp. if you want something affordable thats low cost i'd say go for a squire or epiphone. or maybe find yourself a fender lead 1,2 or 3 things r baalin and about 3-400$ but youll have to look online.

edit: one more thing, if the name of your guitar is the dx73pco5000 then you should probably choke yourself.
one more thing, if the name of your guitar is the dx73pco5000 then you should probably choke yourself.
---------------------------------
You made me lol! Ibanez names are weird, I agree... The reason that I don't want a LP/strat/tele is because they are pretty expensive because they are the most popular guitars, and, since I don't have much money... btw, are the Mexican strats anywhere the American one?
More to the point, what amp are you using - Staggs aren't terrible guitars, but their amps are if you got one of their starter packs.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by ise_slc
one more thing, if the name of your guitar is the dx73pco5000 then you should probably choke yourself.
---------------------------------
You made me lol! Ibanez names are weird, I agree... The reason that I don't want a LP/strat/tele is because they are pretty expensive because they are the most popular guitars, and, since I don't have much money... btw, are the Mexican strats anywhere the American one?

MIM Strats are brilliant value for money, although the Standard ones have gone down a smidge in quality.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
All I play is blues/rock, my Ibanez suits it fine.
Ibanez S470 (Condor/Pyro/Warthog)
Rockafeller Custom
Laney Lionheart L20H
Framus FR212CB
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss DS-1 (Monte Allum Mod)
Boss DD-6
Electro-Harmonix Small Clone
Dunlop/MXR Phase 90 (Full Script mod)
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2+
If it helps, before my Carvin, my Ibanez S was my primary guitar, and I play a lot of blues as well as Jazz. So yes, it can do blues, it also does rock very well.
But it depends on what pickups and amp you have really, you could stick a pair of EMGs in there and play it through an ENGL, then it probably wouldn't be AS suited to blues as if you put in a pair of PAFs and played it through a fender twin like.

Also to put it in there, my Ibanez is now usd in open D to play slide blues. It does this well too
If you're playing those styles, I'd look into something other than an RG. Maybe an SZR, Artcore, or S? Normally I don't recommend low-end Ibanez's to anyone after my bad experiences.
Hey sorry for not answering for the last days, but I wasn't at home :S
I'm playing through an Ibanez Valbee 5 W tube combo amp, which I love, but I'm thinking in getting a bigger speaker (maybe 8 inches, if it fits inside the amp). It has a great crunchy hi-gain distortion. I need a left handed model so all those artcores, S, SZR guitars don't suit me...It doesn't have to be Ibanez necessarily, but it would be great if it had a tremolo. My budget is 600 €, maybe a bit more, but I'm unsure of the type of guitar I'll get, because I'm thinking of getting either a MIM strat, Ibanez or Epiphone Dot...
Quote by ise_slc
Hey sorry for not answering for the last days, but I wasn't at home :S
I'm playing through an Ibanez Valbee 5 W tube combo amp, which I love, but I'm thinking in getting a bigger speaker (maybe 8 inches, if it fits inside the amp). It has a great crunchy hi-gain distortion. I need a left handed model so all those artcores, S, SZR guitars don't suit me...It doesn't have to be Ibanez necessarily, but it would be great if it had a tremolo. My budget is 600 €, maybe a bit more, but I'm unsure of the type of guitar I'll get, because I'm thinking of getting either a MIM strat, Ibanez or Epiphone Dot...

In which case may I recommend the G&L Bluesboy?
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Vox AD50
Quote by gwitersnamps
In which case may I recommend the G&L Bluesboy?

Way too high for my budget. Besides, I don't like how telecaster-like guitars look... And it HAS to be left-handed...
Quote by ise_slc
Way too high for my budget. Besides, I don't like how telecaster-like guitars look... And it HAS to be left-handed...

I'm pretty sure G&L does lefty, and they have guitars at all levels (tribute, etc) and they're all great guitars. Check out their strat styles if you're not digging the tele, but I think G&L might be the way to go.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Vox AD50
Quote by gwitersnamps
I'm pretty sure G&L does lefty, and they have guitars at all levels (tribute, etc) and they're all great guitars. Check out their strat styles if you're not digging the tele, but I think G&L might be the way to go.

Thanks, I'll go check it out!
EDIT: G&L's only lefty is the tele, and it's about 1500 $ (in € it's about the same).
Last edited by ise_slc at Sep 21, 2008,
Yeah sure.

Joe Satriani uses an Ibanez, and a large portion of his repertoire is blues/rock.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
Quote by Iriathz
Yeah sure.

Joe Satriani uses an Ibanez, and a large portion of his repertoire is blues/rock.

His tone isn't, really. I think he's going for more of a Clapton/BB King/SRV kind of thing.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Vox AD50
Quote by gwitersnamps
His tone isn't, really. I think he's going for more of a Clapton/BB King/SRV kind of thing.

Yeah, I'm looking for a vintage sounding guitar, but I'm a bit skeptical about single coils, so if possible humbucker(s) and tremolo.
Why not singles?
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Vox AD50
Yeah, it'll be fine. Though the RG is commonly used as a "metal" or "shredding" guitar, I've seen it applied very well to other genres. I've seen it used for reggae, even! The HSH pickup configuration isn't inherently "metal", it's actually just really versatile. Likewise, a Floyd Rose doesn't have to be used for ridiculous dives and such. In short, it'll be just fine for blues/rock. If it's the guitar you like most, then don't put off getting it just because it's not commonly used for your intended genres. Don't get a different guitar which you like less than the RG simply because they "fit your genres better", or whatever. That's nonsense.

There's two bad things about the RG370DX. One is that it has Ibanez' awful "INF" pickups. I mean, these are some of the worst pickups I've ever heard. Ibanez make sick guitars, but they suck at making pickups. The other is that it has the "Worlds Worst Tremolo ®", the Ibanez Edge III. Now, I'm not just going with the crowd here. I've known three owners of low-end Ibanez guitars (one of them this very same model) equipped with the Edge III, and all of them developed significant issues and stopped working properly after only a period of a few months.

A quality Floyd Rose-type trem is a wonderful thing, but the cheap copies are absolute dirt. Basically, you have to spend a fair bit to get a guitar with a quality Floyd-type trem. The low-mid range Ibanez' mostly have this god-forsaken Edge III. My advice to you is to buy the hardtail version of the RG. They do them in that same price range. Then you'll only have the crappy INF pickups to worry about, and that's nowhere near as big of a deal. Being as you have, up to this point, been an LP owner, you don't yet know the woes of bad trems. Trust me, you don't want to go there.

A hardtail/TOM bridge will never let you down. It is what it is. Your LP has a Tune-O-Matic (or "TOM" for short) bridge. The Ibanez RG321MH (CLICK) is an example of a hardtail-equipped RG, in the same sort of price range as the one you mentioned. In fact, it's cheaper. Probably due to the fact that it has no trem. Anyways, it'd be a good RG, you'd just have the crap pickups to worry about, really. In case you can't tell, I heavily advise not getting a guitar equipped with an Edge III tremolo.
The other Ibanez guitars that I may be interested in are the GRG170DXL and the SA260FML. The GRG has a FAT10 bridge and a HSH pickup configuration, while the SA has a Sat Pro bridge, a bolt-on fatter neck and HSS pickups, and lets you split the bridge pickup. What do you know of these guitars? Are they worth the price, or maybe a Fender Highway One Strat will suit me better?

PD: "Why not singles?" I prefer the sound of humbuckers, but, I've never tried them, so I can't tell (being lefty sucks, you can't try guitars because no one is lefty and shops don't have them).
Quote by Martin Scott

There's two bad things about the RG370DX. One is that it has Ibanez' awful "INF" pickups. I mean, these are some of the worst pickups I've ever heard. Ibanez make sick guitars, but they suck at making pickups.

Er the INF's are fine actually. Not as good as brand name ones like Dimarzios or Duncans but versatile. Quite good for stock pickups imo. Anyways they can be replaced easily if disliked, right?
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Check out Andy Timmons "blues for Carlos" if you doubt an Ibby can do the blues

If you do end up getting that RG, you might also want to pick up a Tremol-no for it and put it in dive only. i havent heard a lot of blues players do dime squeels, so itd make it a bit easier on you. the Edge III Isnt something that will last either. while it does last, it feels pretty nice imo.
Dude, why not get a Lefty G-400?

That thing will do pretty much anything you want it to.