Hey UG'ers,

My band is up an coming and the need has arisen to get good sized amps, i was hoping you guys/gals could help me select one. My budget is around $700 and want a tube amp. I have looked at some half stacks and the Peavey Windsor strikes me as a good deal for a Tube half stack. My band is Southern/Metal, so I don't think the distortion would be up to par on this specific peavey. To make up for the distortion i would use a Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff while having the amp on a clean setting.
I don't know if this would work well or not, so if you have any suggestions they are welcome.
so your going to spend so much money on a half stack, then use a $100 pedal for distortion?

how important are cleans to you?
I'd like to have the versatility of a broad range of tones, but i play with distortion most of the time.
If not the Widsor, what amp do you recommend around that price?
A Windsor would come the closest to what you want, IMO, though a JCM 800 would be even better.

Southern Metal for the win. Links to some of your recordings?
Quote by Ghold125
so your going to spend so much money on a half stack, then use a $100 pedal for distortion?

The Sword does it with an Orange OR80, and it sounds killer.
I've heard of traynor, but i would like something in the half stack form factor. I'm only 15 so I'm going to have to stick with this next amp for a while. As my forum name suggests also play loads of Megadeth.
Before buying anything, I recomend trying a Bugera. I have a feeling you won't be needing that distortion pedal.

Thing is i already have the metal muff so I might as well use it.
Quote by MegadethFan
Here's the URL to our Band page, I'm Angel By the way.
http://www.myspace.com/feedtheneedband

In my dreams i could afford a JCM800.

You have some good riffs, though the mix is done using a drum program, I assume (if I'm wrong, I'm sorry).

Your used gear market sucks by the way. (I feel bad for you)

But look on flea-bay and see if you can find a used JCM. They'll go for around 7-900.

Another thing to look for are Laney GH50L's and AOR Protubes. Those will NAIL that Southern Metal tone.

Other than that, the Windsor is your best bet.
Quote by MegadethFan
Thing is i already have the metal muff so I might as well use it.

Or you could sell it and put it towards a Bugera, which will sound better
^ The Bugeras I've tried were pretty disapointing to me. I haven't heard many bad reviews on the amp around here, but there have been people that get them and they break in a short period of time. They're made very cheaply, which is the reason the price tag is so low.

I would probably just go to a local shop and try out a bunch of amps. Try amp new amps that are a little over your budget, then if you find something you like, check out what they go for on the used market. Remember that the cab used is just as important as the head itself. If you wined up buying new, I would get a model that's NIB rather then them giving you the floor model. Wouldn't wanna pay for an amp that will need tubes shortly after you purchase it, unless you plan on doing so anyways.

EDIT- And if you find something descent, you probably wont need the Metal Muff. If you choose a tube amp, I would probably sell the Metal Muff to fund towards an OD and use the OD as a boost. With the right OD, you should be set for the music you'll be playing.
Quote by mcrfobtai
Or you could sell it and put it towards a Bugera, which will sound better

IMO, not for what he wants. Those fit the modern metal/high gain type sound. The kind of stuff he does is more old-school, gritty type stuff.
Quote by imgooley
IMO, not for what he wants. Those fit the modern metal/high gain type sound. The kind of stuff he does is more old-school, gritty type stuff.

Oh, I didn't listen. You probably should go for a medium gain amp and then boost it to get that more old school metal (I'm assuming) sort of sound
Quote by mcrfobtai
Oh, I didn't listen. You probably should go for a medium gain amp and then boost it to get that more old school metal (I'm assuming) sort of sound

Quote by imgooley
You have some good riffs, though the mix is done using a drum program, I assume (if I'm wrong, I'm sorry).

Your used gear market sucks by the way. (I feel bad for you)

But look on flea-bay and see if you can find a used JCM. They'll go for around 7-900.

Another thing to look for are Laney GH50L's and AOR Protubes. Those will NAIL that Southern Metal tone.

Other than that, the Windsor is your best bet.

Yeah we didn't record with our drummer at the time.
Thanks for all the help. The Peavey Windsor sound like the best bet for my price range, but regardless i will try other amps out at before taking the plunge. I'll try the laney's as well.
Thanks Again
^ I just figured it was in budget and met his "tube" and "stack" request.
I'm siding with the guy on the traynor combo personally.
Take into account that you do not need a half stack right away. A head + 2x12 cab or a 2x12 combo will last you a long time, meanwhile you can save up for an extension or a bigger cab. 4x12's are huge pain in the ass to move around too. 2 2x12s can sound just as good and be much easier on your back.

Also remember that most venues have a PA system and your amp will be miced anyway.
Quote by MegadethFan
Yeah we didn't record with our drummer at the time.
Thanks for all the help. The Peavey Windsor sound like the best bet for my price range, but regardless i will try other amps out at before taking the plunge. I'll try the laney's as well.
Thanks Again

The Laneys are hard to find and expensive new. They can be had at reasonable prices new, but again, hard to find.

The Windsor cab isn't great, but the head is only about 350. Spend the remaining amount of your budget on an Avatar cab, if that's the route you decide to go.

Of the Traynors, the YCV50 Blue is your best bet.
My bandmate is selling a like-new Laney GH100L for $550 USD + shipping. If you are interested, I can hook you up with his contact info. It should cover what you're looking for very well.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
I don't think a Windsor would be the best for you, it doesn't get up into a metal level of distortion and I'm not sure if it's possible to get cleans at the kind volume you buy a half stack for without a boost pedal. It gets dirty pretty quick (noticable grit with preamp above 1), but if your cab is miced then you could probably get away with it.

Have you looked at Valvekings? They get a bit more distortion and have a clean channel.
Quote by Komet
I don't think a Windsor would be the best for you, it doesn't get up into a metal level of distortion and I'm not sure if it's possible to get cleans at the kind volume you buy a half stack for without a boost pedal. It gets dirty pretty quick (noticable grit with preamp above 1), but if your cab is miced then you could probably get away with it.

Have you looked at Valvekings? They get a bit more distortion and have a clean channel.

Valvekings would actually work in this situation, but not as well as the windsor.

Again, it's not that kind of metal.
dude, windsor should be golden for you.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
I've been using a Windsor head for about a year now, and I highly recommend it in this case. But I would definitely stay away from the Peavey cabs. You can probably find a decent 2x12" cab for the same price that would outperform the Windsor cab in any regard. I use an open backed cab with two 12" Celestion speakers, which sounds much better than the Windsor setup sounded in the store. The head is great, though, and you can play clean plenty loud through one. I've played jazz concerts in fairly large venues with mine, no mics. Like just about any single channel tube amp out there (except something like a 160 watt Twin Reverb, which has the opposite problem), it will have at least some breakup at even moderate volumes, but that's really what vintage tube cleans are all about, in my opinion. It has more than enough gain for any kind of classic metal tones, and it's really not voiced for more modern stuff anyways. Considering that a used JCM 800 will cost you at least twice what a new Windsor will, I really think it's your best bet.
In these situations i would recommend a B-52. I love mine and i'm definately a bit biased, lol. But like someone said about the bugera, im not sure if its quite voiced for what you want, but I play everything from blues, to metal, but it seems to do hard rock very well.

it can do metal on its own, especially if its cranked up, but if i need a bit more umph I got my tube screamer which I sorta use as a clean boost on the dirty channel to push it a bit harder. Of course the equalizer in the effects loop does wonders!

Of course these are just recommendations. You should definately listen to some people, but your deciding facts should be (hopefully) being able to actually try the amps out at a local store
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
I think I'd go with Bugera. He Is Legend was using 5150's for a good while. A local metal band Porcelain Smile's rhythm guitarist uses a 5150 II.

You might be able to find an actual 5150 head for about $600.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio