Dedicating a topic to the late George Harrison. Discuss why you like/dislike his music over his career.

It goes without saying that the All Things Must Pass was the greatest album he recorded but there were always several outstanding and many underrated tracks throughout his solo albums.

Let's talk about some of George's album tracks.

The track, Be Here Now from the "Living in the Material World" album. George sings about living for the moment, it's not like it was before, be here now. It's a very calming song and one of the best tracks from the album for me.
George was a great Guitarist and songwriter, he will be sorely missed.
I love While My Guitar Gently Weep's and Taxman.
My mom just got me his 2002 album "Brainwashed" from the library.

anybody listen to that? allmusic.com said it was one of his best.

I also listened to Cloud 9 which had a few good songs but was overall too much of a Pop feeling...
Quote by RounderIII
My mom just got me his 2002 album "Brainwashed" from the library.

anybody listen to that? allmusic.com said it was one of his best.

I also listened to Cloud 9 which had a few good songs but was overall too much of a Pop feeling...

Jeff Lynne's involvement, at George's insistance I must add, gave Cloud Nine that poppier sound. I enjoyed it, not dated at all for mine.
I love George. Both his solo stuff and the Beatles songs. In my opinion Harrison>Lennon and McCartney in everyway. He was a better singer, better songwriter and a better guitar player...and he was better looking!

Seriously though I was listening to the White Album today and 'Long, Long, Long' and 'While my guitar gently weeps' are the most powerfull songs on the record.
Cloud Nine was a great album bringing back a refreshed George Harrison with catchy melodies set to great pop rock music and featuring George Harrison and Eric Clapton playing elegant guitar solos.
Quote by radio_schizo
I love George. Both his solo stuff and the Beatles songs. In my opinion Harrison>Lennon and McCartney in everyway. He was a better singer, better songwriter and a better guitar player...and he was better looking!

Seriously though I was listening to the White Album today and 'Long, Long, Long' and 'While my guitar gently weeps' are the most powerfull songs on the record.

I'd argue Paul and John were definitely better singers... but to each his own.

However, I think in the lyrics department, George might have been the best songwriter. Any thoughts?
Please don't confront me with my failures. I had not forgotten them.
It's funny that when great guitarists from the 60's and 70's are mentioned, George always seems like the odd man out. Although I wouldn't put him in the same catagory as Hendrix or Beck, I think he's incredibly under-rated.
There's my way and the wrong way.
I think George was a better singer than John, but Paul was hands down the best singer among them in my opinion.

And I agree with everyone says While My Guitar Gently Weeps...first time I heard that song it absolutely blew me away.
Quote by TDMize15
I'd argue Paul and John were definitely better singers... but to each his own.

However, I think in the lyrics department, George might have been the best songwriter. Any thoughts?

Yep, his voice was a tad weak, but his lyrics were always the best despite being preachy.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I recently had a dream that my dad died and my mum spent the life insurance payout on a new Indian dad, who told me to convert to Judaism, even though people usually change religion in September.
I don't think his voice was weak. It was a little nasal and thick on the accent in the earlier years but just got better as his career went on.

That instant feeling of joy that I get when What Is Life comes on the radio. It gets me everytime. What a classic song that is!
The concert for Bangladesh is amazing. George Harrison playing with Clapton, Ringo and Dylan. Brillian.

I love Wah Wah and Set on you. Excellent pop/rock.
Concert for Bangladesh was one of the best concerts in rock history.

Here Comes The Sun performed live on the acoustic, Dylan's great set and the biggest moments in the career of session stalwarts Leon Russell and Billy Preston.
^ Totally, the version of While My Guitar Gently Weeps at Concert for Bangladesh is awesome, plus Bob Dylan was there
Pot
Kettle
Black
George probably had the best solo career. All Things Must Pass is the best solo released by any of them, but I'm always biased towards anything John did.

Anyways, on George, I've been listening to Living In The Material World a lot of late. There are a lot of great songs on there. Apart from the title track and "Give Me Love", "That Is All" and "Sue Me, Sue You Blues" are also really good.
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
I reckon Dark Horse is an overlooked album. It got alot of **** in it's day due to George sounding a little worse for wear at the time but have a listen and it's charm will win you over. The title track is just brilliant and sums George up, no wonder he named his own record company Dark Horse.

Gone Troppo is another overlooked album, it is just brimming with sunshine and radiant melodies.
^ I have a 45 single from that album, Blown Away is the name of the song I believe. Great Tune. I love George's solo work
Pot
Kettle
Black
Blow Away was from George's self titled album from 1979.

It's such a warm and memorable tune with some great slide guitar and it was quite a hit for Harrison.

Faster was another single, and perhaps one of his best, an ode to his love of formula one racing with the start of a race segwaying into a classically produced spirit lifting tune.

Great videos were made for both singles.

Come to think of it, a must have album full of adult contemporary enjoyable Harrison minus all the heavy topics and burden he seemingly carried throughout the early and mid 70's.
At the beginning in early Beatles days, George's solos and riffs were quite simple, but he played what was required for the song. He was never virtuoso guitar player. By the time of All Things Must pass, George had developed to become very good on slide. I like almost every song of that masterpiece album. "I'd Have You Anytime" and "What is life " give me shivers. So beautiful. I think George's music was the most complex of the all ex-beatles. George didn't make so many albums, but what he did, was pure quality. Great human being.

Quote by westozrocker
Dedicating a topic to the late George Harrison. Discuss why you like/dislike his music over his career.

It goes without saying that the All Things Must Pass was the greatest album he recorded but there were always several outstanding and many underrated tracks throughout his solo albums.

Let's talk about some of George's album tracks.

The track, Be Here Now from the "Living in the Material World" album. George sings about living for the moment, it's not like it was before, be here now. It's a very calming song and one of the best tracks from the album for me.