is it worth it to pay the extra cash to get a gibson les paul standard over a epiphone les paul standard???
Depends on the player. No for me, as I can't see myself paying more than $2000 for an axe, especially when it's not even custom made. Plus, Gibby's QC has been questionable lately.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
If you have the cash, go for the Gibson. It really depends on how much you're willing to work for it though.
^ Id pay more than 2,000 for a PRS
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

Quote by (Metal)lica
^ Id pay more than 2,000 for a PRS

This.

But that's because PRS guitars are a work of art as well as an instrument. I wouldn't pay much over 1200 for a strat, and same for a LP. MAYBE 1500.

Gibson's are definitely higher quality than epiphone when you find one that has really been checked by gibson's quality control. Gibson mainly uses better materials. Better wood/material for pups. But if you don't have a nice enough amp, it's not that noticeable. I think Gibson's play easier than Epiphone's, but that's to be expected.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Sep 19, 2008,
Not to mention Epiphone discontinued the Elitists (aka suicide). So, I could see myself playing a Gibson Les Paul Classic some time in the distant future (oh wait! Discontinued too).
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Quote by Colgate Total
Not to mention Epiphone discontinued the Elitists (aka suicide). So, I could see myself playing a Gibson Les Paul Classic some time in the distant future (oh wait! Discontinued too).

Because the Classic line sucked? That's what I thought anyway.
More costly Epiphone > cheap Gibson, always. For example an Epiphone Elitist is always better than a Gibson Studio, even though they cost the same (and the Elitist is arguably as good as the Gibson Standard, though that's another topic altogether)

Though when you're talking the Epi Standard vs a Gibson Standard (which is what, four times the price in most countries, if not more?), it becomes a different story.

You need to ask yourself three questions when considering spending four times the money on something like this:

1) Can I justify buying such an instrument? If you're not doing regular gigs in front of 500+ people, chances are the Gibson won't actually offer you anything that the Epi wouldn't cover. It'd be like buying two 100w all-tube high-gain amp heads with four cabs of 4x12" speakers, putting high-output active pickups in your guitar... when you only play in your bedroom with the volume set to 2% and the most you can play is just a few powerchords. You can't really justify having such gear in a situation like that. Of course this doesn't matter so much if you're a multi-millionaire selling thousands of albums per day, but if that was you then you wouldn't be on here anyway.

2) Can you really afford to be spending four times the money on one thing when the cheaper version might well do everything you need anyway? Be realistic. Just because you've got two grand sitting in your bank account doesn't mean you should blow it all on one thing. What about bills, rent, food, you need to get your priorities right. At the least, consider splitting your money more efficiently, say two thirds on a good amp rig and a third on the guitar, rather than blowing it all on one thing. Of course this doesn't matter so much if you're a multi-millionaire selling thousands of albums per day, but if that was you then you wouldn't be on here anyway.

3) Are you in fact a multi-millionaire selling thousands of albums per day? If you are then great. If you're not then this should be a no-contest, don't bother with the Gibson. Ultimately this is what it boils down to, don't go spending your hard-earned money (which I'm assuming it is and you're not just some kid leeching off their parents ) on professional level gear if you're not a professional.

Another thing to consider is alternatives. Epiphone Elitist models, higher end Tokais and many of the ESP Les Paul copies, are all arguably just as good as Gibson Standards (some people will say even better than them), yet cost half as much, usually just around the same that a low-end Gibson Studio costs. So consider other brands - after all, who would pay £2000 for one thing if they can get the exact same thing (or better) elsewhere for £800?
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I don't understand why everyone says Gibson's QC is horrible nowadays. I played a ton of Gibson Les Pauls last Monday, ranging from standards to robots to classics. They were all very well made, and I checked every nook and cranny of the guitars.
Well, if people around here consider LTD to be an ESP, then I'm sure you'll get most post saying to get an Epiphone.

Anyways, Gibsons like a hit or miss. I've played quite a bit, and I find like 3 out of 10 to actually be worth the price tag. To each his own though.
you've bought 10 Gibsons? are u from ZZ Top or sommat?... w/e trust me ur better off buying an epiphone and getting some nice fat humbuckers and intsalling them yourself...
it really is worth paying the extra money for a gibson than an epiphone. If you want the cheaper way out, hot up an epiphone like what i did
i would pay around about a thousand pounds for a gibson (assuming i had the money) but not as much on a strat =/ my epiphones great though
Quote by Colgate Total

They're re-releasing it, I think, with new features and things.

Anyways, didn't this guy post the same thread yesterday?

EDIT: Maybe he didn't, but there was a massive thread with the same question.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Last edited by Lil Macker at Sep 20, 2008,
Quote by Lil Macker
They're re-releasing it, I think, with new features and things.

Anyways, didn't this guy post the same thread yesterday?

EDIT: Maybe he didn't, but there was a massive thread with the same question.

I'm hoping they won't give the 2008 Classic the asymmetrical neck; that would be pretty stupid of Gibson.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
Quote by AsShadowsRemain
I don't understand why everyone says Gibson's QC is horrible nowadays. I played a ton of Gibson Les Pauls last Monday, ranging from standards to robots to classics. They were all very well made, and I checked every nook and cranny of the guitars.

Thats my experience as well, but anyway, play the guitars yourself, gibson is better but its definately not better value
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
id get the gibson, if you get the epiphone chances are in a couple of months time you'll still want a proper gibson les paul so it will cost ou more money in the end

plus just becaue you play in our room is no reason you shouldn;t have nice gear
i'm done with proper gibson lol. right now i'm looking to invest in a tokai or a burny. after noticing one of my seller on ebay specialize in distributing them so now i know where to find them
epiphones are very good guitars but they don't have gibson on the headstock and they don't have a fancy paint job like gibsons do.
Quote by madshatter
epiphones are very good guitars but they don't have gibson on the headstock and they don't have a fancy paint job like gibsons do.

See an Epiphone LP Ultra... or an Epiphone Prophecy.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??