Hi. I bought an electric guitar 2 years ago and I've enjoyed learning to play punk and thrash metal. One thing has been bugging me though, I hear about amps all the time but what do they actually do?
Last edited by Kipister at Sep 19, 2008,
They take the signal from your guitar and turn it into sound. That sound is then sent out through a speaker.

Please don't tell me you've been playing your electric as is without plugging into anything for 2 years.

Didn't u know? Sound comes outta ur ass, and the way ur ass is shaped affects the tone. So go ahead and buy a new ass.

Search effing bar...
um... amplify your guitars signal? i'm too tired... somebody else can do an in-depth explanation...
Edit:

Quote by Sguit
there is two main steps:

1. use google
2. repeat the first step
Quote by Josh134

this.
Quote by jjennings216
i'd go gay for hendrix 128 he's fricken hillarious.

Quote by sadistic_monkey
To me, Jonas Brothers sound identical to Dragonforce. So I'm not sure what you've just proved.
Quote by Josh134

This guy is right
Quote by sk8erk1d1313
obvious troll is obvious

This guy is a UG/Mod wannabe

Anyways, yeah it just amplifies the signal from the vibration of your strings that the pickup magnets pick up and sent through the output jack and into the amp which amplifies it into an actual note(s).
Quote by Josh134

THIS
Fender MIM Stratocaster With YJM pickup in neck
Esp Ltd Kh-202

Crate 15w

Electro Harmonix Metal Muff
DOD Yngwie J. Malmsteen OD
Digitech Rp 80
Quote by pwrmax
They take the signal from your guitar and turn it into sound. That sound is then sent out through a speaker.

Please don't tell me you've been playing your electric as is without plugging into anything for 2 years.

I saw someone playing a guitar with a hole in it and it wasn't connected to anything and it sounded nice.
Quote by Kipister
I saw someone playing a guitar with a hole in it and it wasn't connected to anything and it sounded nice.

1. If what i understood from what you said. Is that, that person was playing an acoustic

2. Have you seriously been playing for 2 years.

3. I dont think I should again .

Aww what the heck
Quote by Sguit
there is two main steps:

1. use google
2. repeat the first step
Quote by HighPotency
This guy is right

This guy is a UG/Mod wannabe

He's also right - the TS has been a member since January, he knows what he's talking about. I've reported this so the mods can kill it - plz to not feed teh trollz.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com