im just wondering if a boss ds-1 would be a good enough distortion pedal for me i play mostly nirvana, ac/dc, weezer things liek that also what all do i need to run this pedal without using a ton of batterys thanks
yeah ds1's are good for that style, get a 9v adapter
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

The DS-1 will provide enough distortion for that type of stuff, but low price distortion pedals like that sound terrible, imo.
It's ok. Also, you need to unplug the cables when not being used since it's got a buffered bypass. It increases battery life substantially. Mine last months, and I'm using Carbon Zinc. If you can live with a shorter battery life, the Carbon Zinc batteries sound way better.
Quote by kurt/armstrong
whatever you do
DO NOT buy a digitech grunge pedal
youll save lives

- 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000. For the price, I'd much rather have a Digitech Grunge than a DS-1. I know Kurt used a DS-1, but that doesn't make them a good pedal and he got more of his tone out of the Small Clone anyway.

Digitech Grunge>Boss DS-1.

But for TS: If you can afford it, get a Big Muff.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
The DS-1 runs around 80 bucks and for the price is a pretty good distortion pedal. I used one for a long time to cover songs by Zeppelin, AC/DC, Rancid, that sort of thing. Try it out at the store, and if it's not good enough, check out the Boss Metal Distortion pedal. My buddy always used one and it offers a little more range than the DS-1.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-DS1-Distortion-Pedal?sku=151258
boss DS-1 = $39 right now.
A lot of boss dealers have demo boards up you can try with every boss pedal they offer bolted to it. You should try them out.
Also, look at the metal zone and mega distortion (both can clean up to ds-1 levels, both cost a lot more, but their tone shoots off in opposite directions: one screams, one is beefy)