So my father has extra blocks of mahogany at his shop (he's a welder/ carpenter), and he said we could use some to make a guitar. We've decided to make one based on the Charvel Star. My question how would an all mahogany guitar (with a ebony fretboard and flamed maple top) sound overall? How would a mahogany neck feel/ sound as opposed to a maple neck?
i think mahogany necks are sweet. one of my les pauls has a mahogany neck, i dig it.
flame maple top mahogany body, maple neck with ebony fretboard?
Yeah. That's a nice combo of woods, one of my favorites.

The thread title made it sound to me like you were wondering about mahogany top on mahogany body guitars, lol.

thought about the color(s)?
STUFFZ:
SAGA ST10, IBANEZ(s): '96 ZR140BK (korea), '96 RX20 (indonesia)
Danelectro Cool Cat CC1 Chorus
Digitech Bad Monkey
Behringer BX1800A (180w 12" aluminum cone)
FOR SALE: Fender Champion 110 (25w RMS combo 10" with tank reverb)
^actually I was talking about a mahogany neck
I was thinking something along the lines of this:

that's actually what I'll be basing the whole guitar on, sorry for the big picture
Last edited by solitaryshell90 at Sep 20, 2008,
I've got a Godin LG HB with a Mahogany body/neck and rosewood fretboard and it sounds and plays fantastic. A little bit on the heavy side but with string-thru body it gives great sustain, I think its a great combo of timbers!!
Quote by Wall_of_sound
I've got a Godin LG HB with a Mahogany body/neck and rosewood fretboard and it sounds and plays fantastic. A little bit on the heavy side but with string-thru body it gives great sustain, I think its a great combo of timbers!!

Good to hear! Yeah weight it is not a problem. I'll just get me one of those hefty leather straps.

Since mahogany is such a deep sounding wood, what pick ups would compliment it? I play mostly Heavy Metal for those who haven't figured it out yet
The mahogany sounds deep, but the flame maple top and the ebony fingerboard are both extremely bright sounding. The balance of these woods together will sound great.

I'd use pickups with a strong midrange and something with a big top end in the bridge. Of course everyone playing metal seems to love a scooped tone...

Can't go wrong with EMG's. They tend to ignore what the guitar is made out of and just sound like EMG's.

I'd love to see one of those guitars with a set of GFS Power Rails. I bet it would sound wicked. They're great for metal... in fact they're not so great for anything but.
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
Quote by zeroyon
The mahogany sounds deep, but the flame maple top and the ebony fingerboard are both extremely bright sounding. The balance of these woods together will sound great.

I'd use pickups with a strong midrange and something with a big top end in the bridge. Of course everyone playing metal seems to love a scooped tone...

Can't go wrong with EMG's. They tend to ignore what the guitar is made out of and just sound like EMG's.

+1

Try an EMG 85 in the bridge, and an EMG 60 in the neck. An 81 wouldn't be too shrill in the bridge, either, because of how much low end mahogany has.

Anyway, those woods go perfectly together, and the neck will feel identical to any other neck with the same finish. A mahogany neck sanded to 4000 grit will feel as smooth as a maple neck sanded to 4000 grit.
Mahogany with a maple cap body and a mahogany neck with an ebony fretboard are quite common I believe, so it'll sound fine.

Great to see another star build taking place.
exact same construction as my build.
i kinda just went for it for aesthetic reasons but its nice to know that its going to sound nice and balenced, les pauls use a mahogany body and neck with a flametop and generally a rosewood fretboard and i love les pauls so my build is pretty close (spec wise) to a les paul, you can't go wrong haha
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Quote by zeroyon

I'd love to see one of those guitars with a set of GFS Power Rails. I bet it would sound wicked. They're great for metal... in fact they're not so great for anything but.

Never been a big fan of EMGS, and I really dislike the scooped tone. I would actually like some more versatile, organic sounding pick ups, but with high output (at least for the bridge) Could I go with a dimarzio D Sonic?

Quote by admbwr
exact same construction as my build.
i kinda just went for it for aesthetic reasons but its nice to know that its going to sound nice and balenced, les pauls use a mahogany body and neck with a flametop and generally a rosewood fretboard and i love les pauls so my build is pretty close (spec wise) to a les paul, you can't go wrong haha

Yeah, I've always loved the tone and feel of a les paul, but I would like to take that and put it into different guitars if you know what I mean. Chances are I'll be making more after this one, since my father usually orders mahogany in bulk. I also forgot to mention I have a cousin who worked in the Fender Custom Shop in for 16 years, so he knows a hefty deal, and he could help me along the way.

Quote by Punk_Ninja
Mahogany with a maple cap body and a mahogany neck with an ebony fretboard are quite common I believe, so it'll sound fine.

Great to see another star build taking place.

I love star bodies, but I'm not about to an absurd amount of money for one.
Last edited by solitaryshell90 at Sep 20, 2008,
Alright, I like odd shaped guitars, but that one is just a little too out there. Have you thought about something more balanced like an ML? Just a friendly suggestion

Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Sep 20, 2008,
Haha, well thanks for the suggestion, but I never digged the ML, no offense .
The star is really comfortable playing sitting down, since the bottom wing is shorter. It all comes down to personal preference I suppose. But keep the suggestions coming! Like I said, this will not be the only one, I might start one after I finish this one.

ONE more question guys
Where can I get the templates of the body and the neck?