My daughters' 8th birthday is soon approaching and she has been palying an acustic for a year now, mainly chords and scales. I told her that if she played almost everyday I'd buy her an electric. I'm not looking for any starter packs just a guitar

Which would you buy and why?????

I'm not looking to spend much, but I've narrowed it down to 2 guitars:

a Yamaha Pacifica which is 210 Euros

or a Squire Strat 100 Euros

Please no comments on the colour, this is for a 8 year old girl and these are the colours she wants.

I'm in Europe so there are no guitar centers here
1979 Granada Les Paul
1983 Lado Flying V
2006 Fender Stratocaster
2007 Tenson Classical
2008 Epiphone Les Paul
2008 Yamaha Pacifica
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio
2011 Dean Z 79 Series
2011 Ibanez 12 String Acoustic
2012 Messina Classical
Pacifica.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
yh definatley pacifica ... my school has them nd wen i cant bring my guitar in i use em ... theyr not bad tbh i kinda like em, i wud get one but i prefer les paul juniors and stuff
that squier doesnt even look straight? bad photo. i still use my pacifica after years of abuse its great!
pacifica, i have a squier myself,tremolo broke 3 weeks after i got it.also i had to repair it cuz the pot's(if thats the name :P) were broke.the pacificia looks nicer too imo EDIT: also what country do you live in? I live in Holland myself.We have ibanez's here for 200 euro's.might be an even better choice for you.
Last edited by constructbot at Sep 20, 2008,
Never even consider a Squier, that's my tip! Go for the Yamaha!
My Gear
Electrics - Ibanez RG370DX
Acoustics - Takamine EG510SC, Victoria Classic
Pedals - Ibanez WD7, Marshall ED1, Digitech DF7, Boss AC3, Marshall RG1, Digitech XDD
Amplifiers - Laney HCM15R, Roland Micro Cube
yah i'm gonna have to go with the yamaha too they play and look better imo
Member of the Jackson RR24 Owners club!

Esp Eclipse II Snow white
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RGA-8
Jackson RR24 Black w/yellow bevels, Limited 1/75
Yamaha FG-400A
Pacifica.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
The Pacifica would be a much better choice in the long run, as it is more versatile (H/S/S pickups as opposed to S/S/S), and if your daughter continues, they can be modified to be really great guitars quite easily.
Member of the Laney Cult
Thanks guys
1979 Granada Les Paul
1983 Lado Flying V
2006 Fender Stratocaster
2007 Tenson Classical
2008 Epiphone Les Paul
2008 Yamaha Pacifica
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio
2011 Dean Z 79 Series
2011 Ibanez 12 String Acoustic
2012 Messina Classical
Quote by JaykeSucks
The Pacifica would be a much better choice in the long run, as it is more versatile (H/S/S pickups as opposed to S/S/S), and if your daughter continues, they can be modified to be really great guitars quite easily.

i'm pretty sure sss is more versatile than hss

But yeah Pacifica, cause it's orange lol
In your eyes I see the darkness that tourments you, and in your head where it dwells, I'll give you my hand if you reach out and grab it, let's walk away from this hell.
Last edited by shampooboy37 at Sep 20, 2008,
is the pacifica the 112j or the 012j?

and both are going to be a bit big for her, body wise. have she tried to lift a full sized guitar?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
For an 8 year old, I'd recommend a short-scale guitar. A full size guitar is going to be a little tough on someone that young.

My little nephew had a full sized acoustic guitar as well, and it was a little tough for him to play chords and notes in the open position. In general, the guitar was a little big for his hands. I got him one of these:
http://www.rondomusic.com/sst5734.html

He loves it, and it fits him well. I told him if he sticks to it, when he's bigger I'll get him a "grown up guitar" like his uncle has.

A lot of companies make short scale guitars. I don't know if I'd recommend you the rondo, since you're far away and the shipping might be a little crazy.
Quote by shampooboy37
i'm pretty sure sss is more versatile than hss

How would three single coils have more versatility than a humbucker and two singles?
I fail to see how that'd work.
If you can give me a valid reason though, I will withdraw my comment.
Member of the Laney Cult
From the choices listed, I would say the Yamaha wins by a mile. I bought one of those for my girlfriend's first guitar, and it's just wonderful. (For the record, my first guitar was / is a Squier and it's, well, below average.) As far as short-scale guitars...I guess it really depends on the size of the 8 year old in question. In that regard, I can give no advice.

Hope that helped!