Page 1 of 2
So i saw contemporary violin pieces on tv and they were awful. Much worse than any of those talentless shredders and wankers.

There was a single guy standing in an empty room with a violin in his hands and the sheet music in front of him. All he was doing was mostly tasteless violin stunts with huge gaps between the parts. There were no melody at all and you can't hear any of the motifs twice. Most of them sound like the writer was struggling to find something which is worse for the ear than any other previous violin music in history. The player showed no emotion at all.
It looked entirely random, the only thing which keeped me from think that this is an improvisation was the music stand with the sheet music in front of him.

Discuss.
he sounds like the violin equvilant of a guitar bloke who only shreds
Pull my finger

Quote by Explicit User

"Kyle.. Do you know what homosex is?"
me:"...yes... why?"
"Do you want to have it?"
Me again:"...no Anthony..no i don't"
"Oh.. okay.. good night"

haha

Quote by madhampster
Dear god the pit is a force to be reckoned with.
Better than you ever be
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
link?

As i stated i saw it on the television.
Quote by titsmcgee852
Better than you ever be

Yeah, but where do you saw that i am a violin player or i am bitching about his technical skills?
whether it's on television or not, the mere fact that you started this thread with no promise of an example of the thing you're complaining about so that us fellow musicians can decide for ourselves whether or not you are in the right for thinking what you do makes you, Daneeka of Hungary, a fizzle.
Well i think i must've missed the point of this thread then...

The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
whether it's on television or not, the mere fact that you started this thread with no promise of an example of the thing you're complaining about so that us fellow musicians can decide for ourselves whether or not you are in the right for thinking what you do makes you, Daneeka of Hungary, a fizzle.

I used the forces of the internet and i found out that guy i saw was David Grimal. I found 4 entries of him at Youtube. None of them contains what i saw in the tv. In the youtube videos he plays other peoples stuff (Bach, Bartok and other greats) but i think what i saw on the tv was his own stuff or something composed by a contemporary-40 year old virgin-schizo guy. I will try to find something similar to that rubbish.
It's called contemporary art music. It's a sub-genre, where the instrumentalists will often use obscure techniques.
You missed the point of the genre. It's meant to have no rhythm, timing, direction. Its supposed to be random.

Quote by Daneeka
Much worse than any of those talentless shredders and wankers.

The player showed no emotion at all.

So, in effect, you're saying guitarists like Petrucci, Gilbert, Vai and Satriani are wankers? Nice...
Believe it or not, it takes a great deal of time to get good at shredding. Whether or not you like it, is your opinion, but saying shredding is talentless is simply ignorant.
Just because you don't recognise an emotion or a piece doesn't have your perception of emotion, does not make that piece emotionless or worse than any other song.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by twowheels
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za1faBWAeMI

Im guessing it sounds like something similar to this

Oh man that's awful. Yeah i was something like this but with smaller gaps. That was like this (but for violin) with random mega-fast "scale-runs" and random noises at the very low and top-end of the violins sound range.

Until this i thought grindcore and other blood/gore etc.-stuff requires mental illness to enjoy but now i think this is the music of the schizo-pedo-psychotic-depressive-serial killers.
Quote by dann_blood
It's called contemporary art music. It's a sub-genre, where the instrumentalists will often use obscure techniques.
You missed the point of the genre. It's meant to have no rhythm, timing, direction. Its supposed to be random.

What's the point of the music if it doesn't have a direction? If it doesn't build up to anything? Big anti-climax when you find out the piece ended while you were still waiting for it to take off.
Quote by dann_blood

So, in effect, you're saying guitarists like Petrucci, Gilbert, Vai and Satriani are wankers? Nice...
Believe it or not, it takes a great deal of time to get good at shredding. Whether or not you like it, is your opinion, but saying shredding is talentless is simply ignorant.
Just because you don't recognise an emotion or a piece doesn't have your perception of emotion, does not make that piece emotionless or worse than any other song.

I mean talentless shredders not all shredders. You know like set theory at school. Actually i like some works of the people you mentioned and i am a big fan of Buckethead's better songs.
because we all know one piece is an accurate reprisentation of an entire instrument

amarite???
Quote by Bowe
because we all know one piece is an accurate reprisentation of an entire instrument

amarite???

I am not against violin in this thread.
You should delete this thread before further embarrasment.
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
Quote by frankv
What's the point of the music if it doesn't have a direction? If it doesn't build up to anything? Big anti-climax when you find out the piece ended while you were still waiting for it to take off.

Whats the point of prog rock? Whats the point of instrumentals? Whats the point of music in general?
We listen to music because we like it. All music is is assorted notes and phrases. Most people view genres like prog rock and instrumental rock as pointless and uninteresting, but that doesn't mean it is pointless and uninteresting to other people.

Quote by Daneeka
I mean talentless shredders not all shredders. You know like set theory at school. Actually i like some works of the people you mentioned and i am a big fan of Buckethead's better songs.

People learning to shred doesn't mean theyre talentless. It means theyre learning. When you start learning to shred, it leads you to learning theory.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by Daneeka
I am not against violin in this thread.

then whats the point of this thread?

if I started a new thread evertime I heard something I didn't like, we'd need a new sub-forum
Quote by Daneeka
So i saw contemporary violin pieces on tv and they were awful. Much worse than any of those talentless shredders and wankers.

There was a single guy standing in an empty room with a violin in his hands and the sheet music in front of him. All he was doing was mostly tasteless violin stunts with huge gaps between the parts. There were no melody at all and you can't hear any of the motifs twice. Most of them sound like the writer was struggling to find something which is worse for the ear than any other previous violin music in history. The player showed no emotion at all.
It looked entirely random, the only thing which keeped me from think that this is an improvisation was the music stand with the sheet music in front of him.

Discuss.

Oh wow. I don't know where to start with this.

Shredding isn't exactly talentless; It takes time, dedication, and tons of practice to get good at it. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that they're talentless because contrary to popular belief, there are shredders who can compose great pieces of music. If you don't want to recognize their talent, then look at these:

This kid has been playing for three years.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3JIGc5WfXM

Here's another one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-akzHtYfL5A

And this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nprv2Dq0ao8

Now fucking tell me they have no talent.
It all makes sense
We're capable of beauty
Through sounds that make on cringe
The dogs only hear us now

Quote by spartan 118

Shredding isn't exactly talentless; It takes time, dedication, and tons of practice to get good at it. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that they're talentless because contrary to popular belief, there are shredders who can compose great pieces of music. If you don't want to recognize their talent, then look at these:

Here's another one.

And this.

Stop bitching about how awesome shredders are and how they need respect. That's not the point of this thread. Besides, people always say that dissonant musicians have no talent, despite how unbelievably hard it is to write dissonant music.
Quote by mrwaffles
Stop bitching about how awesome shredders are and how they need respect. That's not the point of this thread. Besides, people always say that dissonant musicians have no talent, despite how unbelievably hard it is to write dissonant music.

I wasn't saying how awesome they were or how they need respect, I was just pointing out there shredders aren't just talentless wankers.
It all makes sense
We're capable of beauty
Through sounds that make on cringe
The dogs only hear us now

Quote by spartan 118

Here's another one.

And this.

You are the second one in this thread who thinks i am against shredders in general. I have a relevant post for you at the first page of the topic.
That's cause everyone wants to be original, at the expense of their ability to make music that's actually listenable.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by Daneeka

Quote by Daneeka
You are the second one in this thread who thinks i am against shredders in general. I have a relevant post for you at the first page of the topic.

Any - One, some, every, or all without specification: Take any book you want. Are there any messages for me? Any child would love that. Give me any food you don't want.

Context you used it, you were denoting any meaning all.
Quote by Vornik
Quote by Mad Marius
That's cause everyone wants to be original, at the expense of their ability to make music that's actually listenable.

That could be a good point right here.
Quote by dann_blood
Any - One, some, every, or all without specification: Take any book you want. Are there any messages for me? Any child would love that. Give me any food you don't want.

Context you used it, you were denoting any meaning all.

I am only learning english so i would be happy if you could convert that part: "Much worse than any of those talentless shredders" into something that not make the shredders missing the point of the thread and becoming angry.
Daneeka, you are an ****ing idiot.

Get off your high horse, it's music, wether or not it sounds pleasing to your ears.

douche.
Member #8 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Quote by mrwaffles
Or it could be that it's just a style of music that you don't like.

Could be.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Wtf, n00b?

I saw some dude doing improv on vibraphone while some chick did improv on violin. They did all this weird stuff, and I was the only person that liked it.

And shredding is not talentless. People are always underestimating shredders, especially Yngwie. I'm guessing most of the people that say that kind of stuff would have an extremely hard time learning to shred.
Listen to album The Velvet Underground & Nico
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
Quote by Cycon
Daneeka, you are an ****ing idiot.

Get off your high horse, it's music, wether or not it sounds pleasing to your ears.

douche.

No it is not music in my book and i think you couldn't listen to that shit for more than 2 minutes and i am not talking about classical music or violin music in general, i am talking about that piece that i saw in the tv.
Please take a look at the links in the topic.
Page 1 of 2