It's called a ramp. It's a small piece of wood, positioned where you play that's radiused to match the fretboard to keep your attack more even and stop you digging in.
wait i dont get what it does, what does it stop you digging into and how does it even your attack?
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
The thinking (as I understand it) is that you can't push your fingers too hard through the strings because they'll just hit the ramp so you'll get used to using better right hand technique. Because it's curved to match the fingerboard this means you've got the same distance you can push each string which should even up the volume if you find your right hand technique makes you play some strings louder than others.
Last edited by smb at Sep 20, 2008,
oh i get it now

thanks
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
To be honest I think their usefulness is dubious and if they do anything to help you it's because your RH technique is lacking and becoming dependent on a ramp to get your fingerstyle right is like putting training wheels back on your bike or something. It won't give you better balance, but it won't mean your bad balance throws you in a hedge.
It could also work like a thumb rest, giving you more places to rest your thumb more comfortably, thus opening up more tonal options.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding