Currently im working on this solo , I have little theory knowledge , so learning it straight would be extreamly difficult to do. So I did a little reading in the forums and around the net but there are still a few things I don’t quite understand so if you could just fill me in

Here is the solo (part1)
--12------12--14--12------15--12------17--12--|--/19------20--17-19-17-19-17---19-17-----|
------12--------------12----------12----------12--|------------------------------------15-----------|
------------------------------------------------------|--------------------------------------------------|
------------------------------------------------------|--------------------------------------------------|
In the tuning
C#-1 string
G#-2 string
E-3 string
B-4 string
F#-5 string
C#-6 string

Now I know the scale for this is the C# - Minor Scale which is C#(W)D#(H)E(W)F#(W)G#(H)A(W)
W- Whole
H-half

Now using the First 4 frets with this scale you can go up the scale like this
C# ||--------------|--------------|--------------|--------0--2--|--3--|
G# ||--------------|--------------|-----------0--|--1--3--------|-----|
E ||--------------|--------------|-----0--2-----|--------------|-----|
B ||--------------|--------0--2--|--4-----------|--------------|-----|
F# ||-----------0--|--2--3--------|--------------|--------------|-----|
C# ||--0--2--3-----|--------------|--------------|--------------|-----|
(sorry I couldn quite work out how to straighten it)

But now how do I use it to know where the rest of the scale(eg. From the 7th fret) is on the fret board and where I can impro
learn the patterns over the whole fret board
learn minor pentatonics they are easier to remember
learn where the root notes are, that makes it easier to
fill in the notes that make it natural minor
You know the intervals, so play with a different root note and start going from those intervals.

in C#Minor, the intervals are WHWWHW (like you said), so if you play from the 3rd note (E), you would play WWHWWH (which is actually the E major scale).

But you get the idea?

EDIT:
Also, from this you can conclude that you can play with 7 different starting notes, and going up the C# minor scale you will end up with 7 unique patterns to go up the same scale. These different patterns are the "modes" of the scale and they all have a different name (and are very worth learning their finger shapes!). Also note that every minor scale is actually just a different keys major scale (C#min = E maj), so you already know 1 mode of the major scale, and that is the minor scale!
Last edited by insatyrguitar at Sep 20, 2008,
learn where the C# minor chord shapes are cause the notes of C#minor are in the C#minor scale
and you can arpeggiate etc.

basically learn pentatonics and the notes on the fretboard
so that you can go on to natural minor
Quote by libertines4ever
learn where the C# minor chord shapes are cause the notes of C#minor are in the C#minor scale
and you can arpeggiate etc.

basically learn pentatonics and the notes on the fretboard
so that you can go on to natural minor

okay so these chord are (of the c#minor ) ?

||--0----||
||--2----||
||--1----||
||--2----||
||--4----||
||-------||

and ? if thats even right ?

edit: oh wait it depends on tuning to right ?
Last edited by [WoW] at Sep 20, 2008,
Quote by insatyrguitar

EDIT:
Also, from this you can conclude that you can play with 7 different starting notes, and going up the C# minor scale you will end up with 7 unique patterns to go up the same scale. These different patterns are the "modes" of the scale and they all have a different name (and are very worth learning their finger shapes!). Also note that every minor scale is actually just a different keys major scale (C#min = E maj), so you already know 1 mode of the major scale, and that is the minor scale!

this makes some sense i you could tell me more or show me a website that would be awesome !
[quote="'[WoW"]']this makes some sense i you could tell me more or show me a website that would be awesome !

There are quite a few good theory artices on this very UG site

Just from what ive read it seems youve got some understanding, well i use that loosley, some knowledge of musical theory, the next step it to research and understand theory concepts, its good that you know the WWHWWWH stuff, you need to be able to name the notes you play.
So as someone said earlier learn the notes on your fretboard, if you find it eaisier to work in C# tuning then ok but remember to transpose to standard tune or whatever it may be if youre playing sometihng in different tuning.

as for your solo, if you want to save some time kind a key map or something, or just play whatever untill you think its cool =)