There was a Guitar Techniques article on him a while back. Check out Gary Potter too.
There's mention of him in some topic here already, but never mind, he really deserves more credit. Great technique, great feeling...A great guitarist. I've heard somewhere he has a bad drug problem, anyone know whether it's true?

P.S. Check out him, John McLaughlin and Keziah Jones doing Voodoo Chile on YouTube
There's no night out in the jail !

Last.fm --> mas0nic
hmm I didn't hear of Bireli Lagrene having a drug problem before. But shit, he was playing electric guitar in Jaco's band when he was 17, so I'm thinking it wouldn't be entirely out of the realm of possibility.

that's a cool video, but it's not musically very inspiring I must say, and BL just lays down some rhythms and such, and the audio isn't great either :-|

check out the following video where he takes a solo spot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI5P9REpiPM

enjoy, and weep.
^Same. That video is severely depressing, yet stimulating at the the same time. He must have practiced incessantly all his life. I have a CD of him playing with Larry Coryell and Al Di Meola and his playing is just other wordly, and in my opinion on that particular recording, far surpasses the other two in most aspects of playing. Espeically his solo spot on Mediterranean Sundance and Tango Suite.

Also, does anyone know which Jaco Pastorius albums he played on? Id love to hear that.

edit: holy crap, the person who posted a video two posts up, its insane when he so accurately de tunes his low E string and plays relative to that key on the rest of the strings. Absolutely insane.
Last edited by BR00TAL at Sep 23, 2008,
Quote by BR00TAL
edit: holy crap, the person who posted a video two posts up, its insane when he so accurately de tunes his low E string and plays relative to that key on the rest of the strings. Absolutely insane.

and he's got a sense of humor. does that little maneuver there

as far as him playing with Jaco goes, I'm guessing it was in Jaco's last years. I saw a video on youtube where him and Jaco cover So What. The quality's not great however. I don't think he actually recorded with Jaco, but was a part of his live electric band near the end of Jaco's life (RIP).
get the super guitar trio dvd with al di meola, and larry coreyel...awesome...he puts them to shame