So we decided to do a kind of a standard setlist we are gonna do at gigs (like 10-15 songs or such), wich I am pretty excited about. But what are we suposed to do during the songs? I am the frontman, so I am atualy the only one concerned by this (the others just say "Make up something funny"). Make jokes, play games with the crowd, just say whats the next song? Help!
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
thank them for coming out and watching ya'll, tell a little bit of background, and talk about the next song.
dont tell lame-ass jokes, its not cool, just be yourself, show your personality, if you and your band are good friends then just act like you would at rehearsal because that is when you are comfortable, if you are comfortable up on stage and having a good time it will translate to the crowd and they will have a good time, that goes for stage presence during the songs and in between songs
Wait like 3 or 4 songs before you talk to the crowd, then make a joke about the turnout and announce the next song, wait another 2 songs and tell them you want them to sing along on the next one or they're welcome to move around. After that song thank them and tell them what the name of the next one is. Then lay off until you have like 3 left announce that one, then after your second to last thank everyone for coming out give recognition to each band member and tell everyone to have a safe drive home. Then you play porch by Pearl Jam and they ask for an encore because the song is just so amazing!
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Check out some live footage of Jethro Tull on youtube, Ian Anderson is REALLY good at stage banter.

If anyone can push you in the right direction, it'll be him.
tell the crowd they are ugly, make racist jokes, throw your shoes at them.

they will remember you forever!
BE HAPPY

Quote by ajmasterjaydude
so this kid at my school microwaved brussel sprouts for lunch, and when he was about to eat them one of them exploded on his face and burned him. i like turtles

in a thread about malmsteen^
Quote by JakdOnCrack
Bring snacks for them. If there's a breakdown in a song you play, start throwing the snacks at them. They'll love it

that is genius
Gear:
Ibanez GSR200FM
Ibanez SW35 amp

Jackson JS30RR
Cheap fender amp

Getting a better guitar amp after christmas.

Do stage banter while the band is playing. Sing between songs.

*Nobody* does that.

It's clever, original, and creative.

Of course, it is also extremely idiotic.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by Pabli7o at Sep 23, 2008,
Quote by axemanchris
Do stage banter while the band is playing. Sing between songs.

*Nobody* does that.

It's clever, original, and creative.

Of course, it is also extremely idiotic.

CT

You just said Fabio Lione is an idiot. he does it all the time. Fabio Lione is one of the greatest singers you'll find.
"Fly with me forever high
And with these wings
We'll set the world on fire
Fly with me through scorching skies
You and I - The lie of lies"

-Symphony X
"hello...*takes out piece of paper from pocket and reads*....springfield! are you ready to rock?"

or any city like that :P
Quote by goony
"hello...*takes out piece of paper from pocket and reads*....springfield! are you ready to rock?"

or any city like that :P

Correction: "Springfield are you adequatly prepared to rock?"
Quote by JakdOnCrack
Bring snacks for them. If there's a breakdown in a song you play, start throwing the snacks at them. They'll love it

We did that once, we had a carboard box full of packets of corn snax and threw 'em out into the audience, most of them ate them, some of them threw 'em back at us, and one person came up to us after the gig gave us his packet of corn snax and asked us to autograph it for him.
10-15 songs kinda seems like a long set, especially if your planning to do alot of talking...

most venues will give you a 30 minute slot, you should probably aim for more like 8 songs, you want to leave the audience wanting more, not getting bored of you and wishing youd get off.

as for talking, i think its better to leave it to minimum, maybe introduce a couple of songs, thank everyone for comming out, big up the other bands , mention your website and if your selling any cd's/tee's and then get off
Ask the audience if they like cookies.

"So I heard you mother****ers like cookies!!!!!!"

Cookies is also replaceable with "mudkipz"

But the corn snacks idea is amazing, I would do that.
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
Quote by BrianApocalypse

^I didn't rate this at all. Trying too hard to be funny.

I like Dylan before one of his songs
"Sorry I'm late. I got a flat tyre. There was a fork in the road."
then goes straight into the song. He doesn't say it like a joke but says it well and starts straight into the song. Not waiting for anyone to laugh or anything. Those that click have a chuckle and enjoy the song - those that don't enjoy the song.

I guess you got to decide are you a comedian or a musician. Of course if you're Flight of the Concords you're both.
Si
You want to get the crowed excited get your self some t-shirts with your bands name and toss them to the crowd and if you really want to get them going get a t shirt launcher sounds espensive i know but the realiy i you can mke one for under 50 bucks, we made one for a christian concert (no i diddnt play) but we got to shoot out the shirts th crowd was going nut!!!
Electric Guitars Samick Torino,Jay Turser warlord, Jay turser jt-xg2( thats a double neck) New york pro Strat copy Acoustics Ibanez pf , new york pro and 3 nylons from the 70's
Quote by X\Chazza/X

Oh yeah and ignore the stupid person who shouts "play the next song!" when you're bantering

Or just say 'Yeah, I remember the first time I drank alcohol too.' but make sure you fire straight into another song as soon as you've said it, so that he doesn't have a chance to reply.
If he does it again after that song, say 'I refuse to get into a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.' and fire straight into another song.

There's a list of about 40 heckler putdown lines on here somewhere that I posted ages ago, go and find it and prepare yourself, just in case. But if it happens, don't turn the gig into a slagging match of one upmanship, because people are there to hear you play. Just say a quick line in reply to his heckles and fire straight into another tune.
Eventualy he'll learn that he can't win and will just shut the f*ck up.
Quote by X\Chazza/X
You don't need to talk for ages, people are there to hear you play so you don't need to have like a huge speech between each song.

Oh yeah and ignore the stupid person who shouts "play the next song!" when you're bantering

i think lennon handled his crowds best
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwOC6yyYvFU
I once received a bra... with "I Love John" embroidered on it. It thought it was pretty original. I didn't keep it, mind you - it didn't fit. - John Lennon

Music is my religion. - Jimi Hendrix
You can talk about the songs a bit, but not too much. I once saw a band that was TERRIBLE for that. They talked for ages in between every song.

When playing a cover, you can say something like this, for example:

This is a song by Guns N Roses you guys should know called Sweet Child o' Mine.

Or something like "How are you guys doing tonight? We got a cover here you might know." and start playing the song. You could do the same with originals. With that, you can say "This is a song about ------." Or "This song was written about this" or just "This is an original called -------."
Mikael Akerfeldt is really funny between songs , we i saw opeth he said something like "you might not like this next song, but f**k you" and then started playing
Quote by OzarkMDaredevil
Shit, this is pure win. You can have my interwebz, I was saving them for a rainy day.

^about my halloween costume
Quote by steee21
a sport

Quote by hriday_hazarika
Oh, so it's sorta like real-life gaming, then?
Quote by slaptasticdave
Wait like 3 or 4 songs before you talk to the crowd, then make a joke about the turnout and announce the next song, wait another 2 songs and tell them you want them to sing along on the next one or they're welcome to move around. After that song thank them and tell them what the name of the next one is. Then lay off until you have like 3 left announce that one, then after your second to last thank everyone for coming out give recognition to each band member and tell everyone to have a safe drive home. Then you play porch by Pearl Jam and they ask for an encore because the song is just so amazing!

Nice "Eddie" Model for talking to the crowd dave lol. It's true though, that show when He doesn't talk to the crowd till after like 6 songs, they cheer like mad when he starts talking
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Quote by 20Tigers
^I didn't rate this at all. Trying too hard to be funny.

Fair enough man, you got a right
Dont force anything. If you dont feel like telling a lame a*s joke before every song, dont. Do you what you want man. Theres no model for art or its presentation.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Or just say 'Yeah, I remember the first time I drank alcohol too.' but make sure you fire straight into another song as soon as you've said it, so that he doesn't have a chance to reply.
If he does it again after that song, say 'I refuse to get into a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.' and fire straight into another song.

There's a list of about 40 heckler putdown lines on here somewhere that I posted ages ago, go and find it and prepare yourself, just in case. But if it happens, don't turn the gig into a slagging match of one upmanship, because people are there to hear you play. Just say a quick line in reply to his heckles and fire straight into another tune.
Eventualy he'll learn that he can't win and will just shut the f*ck up.

I actually have that list on Google Docs XD
http://www.indie-music.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=848

-Thank the crowd for coming.
-Thank any other bands that played that night.
-If you're opening for a band, thank the crowd for coming early, be excited for the headliner, and tell them you're gonna rock until it's time for the other band.
-Thank the venue and bartenders, sound guy. The venue will love you for this. And it shows appreciation.
-If you have merch, tell everyone what you have and to go check it out.
-EVERY band should have a mailing list. Ask everyone to please go sign your mailing list if they like what they hear so you can keep them updated on when you're playing the aera again.
Here are some fun things I've done.

Hold a 'Worst Dancer' contest and give away a t-shirt to the worst dancer.

If people are standing far away from the stage, tell them you just ate a bunch of beans and fart when you get nervous so they better not move any closer.

You could also get really drunk and tell everyone about it. The other drunks will love you! The sober people, not so much...

Open show with a cover and introduce yourself as the 'original band'. We once opened a show with Linoleum. I walked up to the mic and said 'Hi, we're NOFX.' The kids went crazy.

p.s. never exchange words with a bartender, unless you don't like the venue.
Last edited by tagyoureit at Oct 2, 2008,
Quote by tagyoureit

If people are standing far away from the stage, tell them you just ate a bunch of beans and fart when you get nervous so they better not move any closer.

oookkkk, thats not going to encourage people to come closer

you want them close to the front, nothing is worse than the dreaded semi-circle of doom