so i got a big lot of poplar wood today, and a good bit of MDF board im going to use for template making. anyways i was wondering, is poplar strong enough to make necks out of, as i have enough to make about 30 with some left over. and if your wondering, it was all free

i found this website, and it seems that it should be, but i wasnt sure since i never see any necks made out of it.

Quote by quote
Physical Properties
A medium density wood with low bending, shock resistance, stiffness and compression values, with a medium steam-bending classification. Excellent strength and stability.

source = http://www.hardwoodinfo.com/species_guide/display_species.asp?species=poplar

EDIT: These would be 2-3 peice necks, not one peice. sorry i didnt specify earlier.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Last edited by metalwarrior40 at Sep 20, 2008,
I haven't heard of it as being strong enough. But then again, Parker uses reinforced basswood necks...
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
I haven't heard of it as being strong enough. But then again, Parker uses reinforced basswood necks...

hmm well then i guess anything is possible then
anyone else got an opinion?
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
I don't believe poplar is quite strong enough to use for a one piece neck. Mahogany is about the limit as far as once piece necks go for strength.

But if you're willing to cut the neck in half and stick a strip of whatever (black walnut, ebony, decoration) in there to make it a two or three piece neck I think it'd be fine.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
it wouldnt be a one piece neck, it would be two peice with one flipped for strength.

sorry i didnt mention that earlier
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim