I'm working on an info page about magnets and pickups. I'm trying to give just enough information to let people make informed choices without overwhelming them with information. I've tossed the info onto a webpage but haven't organized it for its final look and layout.

What I need to know from you guys is:
Does it make sence?
Does it answer your questions about how magnets change your tone?
Are there any places where I go into too much detail?
What topics should I include that are not there?
What do I include that I shouldn't?

www.rockmonkeyguitars.com/magnets_explained.htm
Not taking any online orders.
"but I believe it's going to really take of in years to come."

Should be 'take off', but I'm picky about these things

Maybe explain a bit more about how the inductance affects tone? Although that maybe better suited to a different article altogether.

I thought it was a good article
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Lots of spelling and grammatical errors, but overall it's a well-written article.

In the AlNiCo definition, you could tell where it got it's name, just as a little fun-fact. I'd been wanting to know for awhile and when I finally found out, I thought it was kinda cool.

Not integral to the article, but interesting nonetheless.

Other than that, I can't think of anything to add or remove.

Are you going to mention active pickups at all?

Very informative though - told me some stuff, so cheers for that.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Invader Jim
^I think Cord just wants it to be about HIS pups.

Yeah, fair enough, there is that point
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by loonyguitarist

Maybe explain a bit more about how the inductance affects tone? Although that maybe better suited to a different article altogether.

I thought it was a good article

I wasn't sure if I was going to include inductance at all in this article simply because it's not specifically about magnets and I was worried it would confuse issues. When typing the information I realised that inductance is one of those things where the more you know about it the more confusing it seems which is why I just gave it a quick mention.

Eventually I want to write up something that will cover all the major point of pickups and that will include more details about inductance. So the question is Do you think it would be better to add a couple more details about inductance or save it for another article?

Quote by Nutter_101
Are you going to mention active pickups at all?

Very informative though - told me some stuff, so cheers for that.

I will but not in this article. This one is specifically about magnets. My main reason for writing it is because I offer all of those magnets as options on my humbuckers and I spend about an hour a day telling people the same stuff but in more specific terms. Having a page I can link to should free up a lot of my time.

Other information pages will come later and I will talk about active pickups but it will be in general terms about how they function rather than how they sound simply because active pickups sound so different from one brand to the next.

Quote by Invader Jim
^I think Cord just wants it to be about HIS pups.

I'm trying to keep it in the relm of general knowlege rather than just my pickups, but I have to work with what I know so what I say is going to best apply to what I make and what I have experimented with.

Quote by Invader Jim
Lots of spelling and grammatical errors

Yeah, My spelling and grammar have always been bad and they have just gotten worse sence I moved to Wales because now I mix british and american together. After I'm done brainstorming I'm gonna have my wife translate the whole thing to british.

In the AlNiCo definition, you could tell where it got it's name, just as a little fun-fact. I'd been wanting to know for awhile and when I finally found out, I thought it was kinda cool.

Not integral to the article, but interesting nonetheless.

Good point, I'll do that.

Thanks for the help guys. Any more suggestions?
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Sep 20, 2008,
About the inductance thing: I agree, it can get very complicated. Perhaps just keep it to mentioning how different magnets affect inductance, and then link to another article explaining what inductance is if the person wants to know more? Either one written by you (also explaining how it affects tone) or just another more general one off the web. That way it keeps it more about the magnets themselves.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.