Page 1 of 2
Ello. I'm going to be playing my first gig at my local music venue tonight, in about 2 and a half hours. I'm very nervous, what do you suggest i do to feel better. There's going to be 100 to 200 people there. My original plan is to have a beer before going up but i've no idea how i'll react to the audience. I'm playing bass in the band so i can probably stand further back while the 2 guitarists absorb the attention. I don't think i'll know anyone there besides band mates as it's a private gig.

Thanks adam.
I will shred in the end!!
Just try not to think about it too much. I was kind of the same way at my first show, but honestly, once you get up there and start playing you won't even be thinking about it. Good luck.
Quote by Trefellin
You know a music scene is fucked up when it becomes difficult to keep track of who killed who, who committed suicide and who alledgedly engaged in cannibalism.

LastFM
I'm sure it will turn out fine, and I'm sure you'll have lots of fun. I've yet to form my own band and gig together, but I'm certainly looking forward to it. Lucky. :P

Good luck!
Quote by SloppyJoseph
It doesn't fit my playing style at all so I figured it would be good for me
Quote by metal4life592
Just try not to think about it too much. I was kind of the same way at my first show, but honestly, once you get up there and start playing you won't even be thinking about it. Good luck.

pretty much this just try not to think about it
Get pumped up before the show
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
Just remember a lot of the people there won't play an instrument and will assume He's in a band therefore he's good! Just relax and enjoy it oh and if you mess up, just keep playing!
Bass Player
hahah ^ Agreed. (No one noticing bass players comment) But seriously, before the gig is the worst part, when you're actually playing you completely forget anything you felt before and just try to have a good time!
I'm in a guitar class and for test we have to play in front of everyone.

When I first started it was terrible, but then I started enjoying myself. I wasn't even looking at the music, well I was but I wasn't "reading it" more thinking in my head, "wow I'm doing awesome".

It's a great feeling doing well and having everyone watch So don't worry you'll be alright.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
you play bass so no one will notice if you **** up, but seriously, once u get into it you will be fine
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking
Confidence juice is the way to go. If your tight, and have fun, it'll be a decent gig.
D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

Seriously masturbating really is a great stress releiver.

I-I

I----------------I

TheOneAndOnlyIsaac

DON'T get drunk. It'll only make things worse.
Don't worry. Unless you screw up by going out of key or get your penis severed, no one will realize if you screw up. Hell, even Steve Vai screws up from time to time.

EDIT: And fap before leaving your house. I'm dead serious. Fapping will discharge a lot of adrenaline.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Yeah, man! It's your first show. Just let it happen, man. If it goes well, awesome. If not, hey, it's your first show. Just have fun, dude. The first few shows I ever played I was firmly planted into the ground. I don't think I moved anything except my hands, I was so nervous. Just do it, man.
You'll be scared at first but when you get about half through your first song you'll be fine

First gigs are always hard but it gets easier
Gear:

Guitars:
Fender Highway One
Cort Electro Acoustic Jobby
Cort Curbow 5

Amp:
Fender Twin
lol spank the plank. i'm feelin the nerves now almost 9 oclock. I think i'll just turn the bass down a tiny bit lol. gna practice my ass off now. wish me look.

thanks, adam
I will shred in the end!!
Yeah, dont think too much on it.
Whenever, i come up to something and nerves start comin on,
i just take a deep breath, release it slowly and clear my mind, then WHAM clear headed ready to rock
ya dont even think about alcohol

i suggest smoking a cigarette while you play
Quote by metal4life592

You concentrate on your playing 'cause that's what the audience comes to see. They're not coming to watch you...otherwise +1 to the quoted post above
Quote by RoamingConflict
This one dream involved me, one random girl, midgets and a pie.

...and midgets ended up f*cking her. I got the pie.

Quote by Sadam
I think i'll just turn the bass down a tiny bit lol.

DONT do this.
Just go out and enjoy it. After the first song or 2 you will be totally into it.
Don't be scared to go nuts and do your thing man. Just ****ing rock
Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty
Tokai LC53 Les Paul Custom
Tokai ALS48 Love Rock Les Paul Standard
Marshall DSL-50 Head
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
play the best you can. dont turn the bass down this will make you think you cant be noticed but you still can be. Hell, its your first gig you're gonna be nervous, just be confident and itll be fun. Plus it gives experience and confidence to play more.

KieronC07
dont worry
just whatever you do. do not pull out your cell phone.
i know i dumbass bass that did that once
Quote by vR3APERv
You play bass. Don't worry. Nobody'll notice you. lol

LOOOL

now seriously, take some E before the show
"Google Images is useless. I used it once to search for a photo of farm equipment and it showed me twenty thousand pictures of horse dicks."
1. Move about on stage, standing rigid still will bore the crowd
2. Make some jokes and interact with the crowd between songs.
3. Dont show off TOO much, but show them you got talent.
4. ENJOY YOURSELF
I remember my first gig! I was uhm.. Well, I don't think I can type it here, but suffice to say I was sh***ing myself...

Then, once you get up, play a few songs... It ends! And it's like.. BUT I WANT TO PLAY MORE! Totally buzzing! It's like the nervousness turns to adrenaline!

Good luck man! Enjoy it! That's the most important thing! You're there to show everyone how good you are at bass!
Im gonna be honest. If your playing bass then I dont think you will need to worry much unless your playing really technical shit. Just lay back and do your stuff. Though I do like it when bass players compensate for not playing as much as everyone else in the band by running around like a maniac on stage and putting on a good show.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
"My strength is my determination" - Randy Rhoads (1956-1982)

Quote by LedZeppelin
Life is not an isolated moment, so don't live it as such.

Quote by bendystraw
art rock? isn't all rock art?
dude I play bass in my church band and we play in front of 200 every sunday.. so just stand in the back if you're feeling nervous or just bust out some sick bass improvs if youre feeling better
Quote by Aaron the 4th
GAYS...we don't hate that your gay we hate that your proud of it
Being nervous means you care about your performance. When you don't get nervous before a show it means you don't care and that's not good. Most famous musicians still get nervous before shows. It's natural. Just do your best and it be fine.
Page 1 of 2