Page 1 of 2
I have spent the last few months trying to find out as much as I can about amps that would work the best for me. I play Classic Rock, think Iron Maiden type things, thrash metal, think Metallica and Slayer, and whatever Pantera is, along with metalcore. So far it seems like the 5150 would be best right? But sadly it would only be used for bedroom practice and maybe eventually for a band, but that would be some time later. So the Vyper 75 watt has the power sponge feature, good bit of effects, and a good price at a good volume. The 5150 is the 5150. And I still can not figure out what effects the Vyper has and wheter the Sanpera II would be worth the extra cash.

What I play: Classic Rock, think Iron Maiden type things, thrash metal, think Metallica and Slayer, and whatever Pantera is, along with metalcore.

Where I play it at: bedroom practice and maybe eventually for a band, but that would be some time later.

Budget: Around 500 MAX

Random questions: what effects does the Vyper have; is the Sanpera II worth the extra cash; Is the 75 watt worth it for the USB interface? I heard it might be used for software updates.
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
Last edited by Pinky19 at Sep 20, 2008,
Iron Maiden isn't classic rock
A 75 watt amp is too much for a bedroom, but if you want a high wattage so be it, but for that my choice would be the 5150.
It'll be a good investment for the future too.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Chrisiphone
Iron Maiden isn't classic rock
A 75 watt amp is too much for a bedroom, but if you want a high wattage so be it, but for that my choice would be the 5150.
It'll be a good investment for the future too.

I would use the power sponge, the 75 watt is just for the USB thing, which I was told will be used for software updates. Is this true? If not I'm going with the 30 watt.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

5150, no matter what. It'll sound as good or better at low volumes, and hundreds times better at high volumes.
Quote by hot4teacher
Iron Maiden is NOY classic rock, get the 5150

Ok. What is it then? And a 5150 would have to be eBayed and it would be a hassle, plus a lot more expensive.

Neither. At that kind of money, a 75w ss modelling amp isn't the best choice. Although the Flextones are great amps. And the 5150 is more for modern metal. Perhaps you could find a used Mesa F-30, which would be great for those. You might have to up your budget a bit, but it WILL be worth it.
It seems the USB thing is a gimmick, but thats my opinion.
Go with the 5150, it'll be a great choice.
Valve amp > Modelling amp.
Iron Maiden is metal btw. Just most peoples perception on metal is "Heavy" eg Machine Head etc.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Chrisiphone
It seems the USB thing is a gimmick, but thats my opinion.
Go with the 5150, it'll be a great choice.
Valve amp > Modelling amp.
Iron Maiden is metal btw. Just most peoples perception on metal is "Heavy" eg Machine Head etc.

If the USB is worthless, then I'm getting the 30 watt. It is 200$ compared to the 500$ 5150. I'd much rather only spend 380 for an amp plus the sanpera II. And I'm not going to be gigging for a LONG time. It won't leave my bedroom for a while either.My 5 watt microcube past 12 o' clock is too loud to give a perspective. I can try a 6505 out first, I guess.

And have any of you even TRIED a 5150 or the Vyper -_-

And by classic rock I kinda just meant softer things...

5150!
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Quote by Pinky19
Ok. What is it then? And a 5150 would have to be eBayed and it would be a hassle, plus a lot more expensive.

...New Wave of British Heavy Metal. WTF you actually thought Maiden was classic rock? Have you even heard classic rock?

also, 5150 will sound like shit at bedroom volumes unless you get a 250+ USD attenuator
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by kayman121
...New Wave of British Heavy Metal. WTF you actually thought Maiden was classic rock? Have you even heard classic rock?

also, 5150 will sound like shit at bedroom volumes unless you get a 250+ USD attenuator
I've always had trouble telling different genres apart =( Not sure were hard rock and metal end, so sorry. And I would barley be able to afford the 5150, let alone the attenuator. AND I DON'T WANT TO SAVE UP. I DO NOT WANT TO SPEND ANY MORE THAN 500$ IF THAT.

a vh100r?, although will be expensive in USA. Maybe a cube
Music is the holy grail, sod wine water and the blood of jesus
Actually the 5150 actually would sound alright at bedroom levels as most of its distortion comes from the preamp section. I would check out the F-30 though as already stated.
Guitar: Ibanez Rg 2ex2/ with Dizmarzio Super Distortion
Amp: Peavey Valveking 212 (replacing soon)
Pedals: Planet Waves Tuner, Boss DS-1, Digitech DF-7, MXR-108 EQ
Used Randall RG50tc (400ish). Not ideal for bedroom use tho, like the 5150. A used F-30 at $500 would be a decent find. The Mesa .22 on clist for $425 last week would work better IMO. How many threads does one have to post in to make billing in your sig? lol
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
Used Randall RG50tc (400ish). Not ideal for bedroom use tho, like the 5150. A used F-30 at $500 would be a decent find. The Mesa .22 on clist for $425 last week would work better IMO. How many threads does one have to post in to make billing in your sig? lol

If your talking about my sig, you just have to be helpful to a bunch of people. THis reminds me of who I should listen to. I see the F-30 is also 30 watts. It would work well for those genres then?

^Yes. But used at $500 would be a good deal. I see them "nearing" $500 from time to time. The lower wattage Mesas show up from time to time, but usually fetch a good price. An RG50tc would be closer to budget used, and worth a test drive.

Edit: Ahh, I only posted in 4 of your 7 GG&A threads, I'll work harder.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Sep 20, 2008,
i cant say anything bad about a 5150, but i can say that i own a 75 watt vypyr and love it, but if u dont think you'll be gigging for awhile u might want to get the 30
Quote by altoidwithmelon
You dont lose your virginity, you voluntarily misplace it.

Quote by Ur all $h1t
You should bottle up all of your emotions till they become a problem that requires professional help.
It's good for the economy.

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/rabidpitweasels/
Quote by gregs1020
^Yes. But used at $500 would be a good deal. I see them "nearing" $500 from time to time. The lower wattage Mesas show up from time to time, but usually fetch a good price. An RG50tc would be closer to budget used, and worth a test drive.

Edit: Ahh, I only posted in 4 of your 7 GG&A threads, I'll work harder.

Too bad there are currently zero on ebay =(

Quote by Pinky19
Too bad there are currently zero on ebay =(

Checked craigslist?
Quote by gregs1020
Checked craigslist?

Ohh you were serious?

http://charlestonwv.craigslist.org/msg/

Quote by gregs1020
Checked craigslist?

If I remember correcty, we've worked extensively on CList and he is in a more rural area and driving to a city seemed out of the question. Correct?

PS. I don't think Cincinatti is 4 hours away either. You might be able to get someone to ship it to you if you pay the shipping. I just hate the thougth of a used amp being shipped to me but I understand your situation and keeping an open mind.

It's a brand new amp, I doubt anyone would be selling their already.

I'm highly considering the Peavey Vypyr as well. I've also looked into the randall RG75plus deal with the effects and such. It's a great amp, a bit more expensive than the Vypyr also, and it's 2 channel with effects and no bank. I'm leaning bigtime towards the Vypyr.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Pinky19

Yea I was. Sam Kennison used to tell the Ethopians to "Move where the food is".
My point being, you may have to drive somewhere to check out some stuff. If you ended up with great gear that way, you could blame me.

Edit: I never rec'd the Vypyr.
I've tried a Vyper, the 15 watt, but honestly it didn't sound that great to me. Sure, it was better than a Spider or something, but I found it hard to get good setting without it shrieking and feeding back like crazy, if it was on a setting besides the Twin Reverb model.

And it was either atrociously loud or too quiet to hear, so I don't see why you would need 75 watts for bedroom practice. I guess if you want to play with effects, go with the Vyper though.

I have not tried a 5150, so I cannot comment on it.
Saint Louis Blues
Yes, I realize the Vypyrs are new.

Here some stuff in Columbus OH. Maybe a little closer then Cinci but 200 miles is doable. I'm sure there is a GC there and some other shops and if you plan your trip right you could easily come home with an amp. Sorry, i forgot your budget i think if is $600?

Mesa Boogie .50 Cal head $600
http://columbus.craigslist.org/msg/817324420.html

Mesa Boogie Single Rec 50 (little over budget at $800)
http://columbus.craigslist.org/msg/846095016.html

Crate may not be exactly what you want but it's $350
http://columbus.craigslist.org/msg/843342662.html

Peavey Windor Head $250
http://columbus.craigslist.org/msg/835046714.html

Cabs on here too and more Crates.

Also see a JCM800 head for $600. Classic 30 combo for $300. Other stuff.
Since i'm concerned about the vypyr 75 for bedroom use, ppl say that it is very good on low volumes.
The problem is that some amps are problematic so you need to test them before you buy them.
I'd get the vypyr anytime it's really cheaper and for practice it is all you need.
Current Equipment:
Epiphone Les Paul Gothic
Blackstar Ht-5
Bad Monkey
I own a VYPYR 30 and it can take a while to find your perfect tone on it. There are several amp models, stompboxes and effects to mix and match and adjust on. I really like mine. Every time I play it I find another setting that sounds good. If you get one be prepared to take some time to figure out your favorite settings. I think it's perfect for practicing in your bedroom. Tube amps sound great, but if you just play in your bedroom by youself a VYPYR would be fine. You can get a tube amp later if you join a band .
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
I own a VYPYR 30 and it can take a while to find your perfect tone on it. There are several amp models, stompboxes and effects to mix and match and adjust on. I really like mine. Every time I play it I find another setting that sounds good. If you get one be prepared to take some time to figure out your favorite settings. I think it's perfect for practicing in your bedroom. Tube amps sound great, but if you just play in your bedroom by youself a VYPYR would be fine. You can get a tube amp later if you join a band .

That was kind of my thought. And travelling out of state is impossible. I'm only 15 and my parents would never even consider it, unless we had a reason to go there. I would reeally like to not go over 500 if I didn;t have to, but I still think a 5150 is gonna be to loud. And if the USB on the Vyper isn't important, I'll get the 30. That way I save 300, and I could get the Sanpera II. The f-30 sounded amazing though, but I can't seem to find one anywhere.

TS: ever thought of BUGERA??? all tube amp perfect for metal, and fyi its a 5150 cloned. cheers.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Yes, I realize the Vypyrs are new.

Here some stuff in Columbus OH. Maybe a little closer then Cinci but 200 miles is doable. I'm sure there is a GC there and some other shops and if you plan your trip right you could easily come home with an amp. Sorry, i forgot your budget i think if is $600?

Mesa Boogie .50 Cal head $600
http://columbus.craigslist.org/msg/817324420.html

Mesa Boogie Single Rec 50 (little over budget at $800)
http://columbus.craigslist.org/msg/846095016.html

Crate may not be exactly what you want but it's $350
http://columbus.craigslist.org/msg/843342662.html

Peavey Windor Head $250
http://columbus.craigslist.org/msg/835046714.html

Cabs on here too and more Crates.

Also see a JCM800 head for $600. Classic 30 combo for $300. Other stuff.

Thats how we roll

also look into
Bugera 333xl
Used Peavey xxx
Peavey classic 30 w/ od
Quote by Highwaytohell
Thats how we roll

also look into
Bugera 333xl
Used Peavey xxx
Peavey classic 30 w/ od

I could possibly get he Classic 30. I think they had it there, but my only other options are trying the 6505 and then maybe ebaying a 5150, and a Bugera 6202 which would be to loud I think.

So:

Peavey 5150, probably to loud
Classic 30 with OD
Vyper 30

Those are my options.

I saw those amps in Colombus but suspect you don't want to drive there or can't. The Classic 30 for $300 is a good amp, probably the best for your situation. I have not tried the Vypyr tho.
Quote by Pinky19
I could possibly get he Classic 30. I think they had it there, but my only other options are trying the 6505 and then maybe ebaying a 5150, and a Bugera 6202 which would be to loud I think.

So:

Peavey 5150, probably to loud
Classic 30 with OD
Vyper 30

Those are my options.

I played a bugera 333xl at a music store the other day at volumes you could talk over.
It sounded killer.
But it is loud.
And having a 120watt tube amp is not for playing quietly.

I think the Vypyr would be the go.
Its cheap.
And does what you need.
Quote by gregs1020
I saw those amps in Colombus but suspect you don't want to drive there or can't. The Classic 30 for $300 is a good amp, probably the best for your situation. I have not tried the Vypyr tho.

I thought the classic 30 was only 4-500, but they are 600$ new. And there is no possible way I could go that far unless I walk. And I am NOT walking 300 miles and then carrying an amp that far.

Quote by wongacaster
I played a bugera 333xl at a music store the other day at volumes you could talk over.
It sounded killer.
But it is loud.
And having a 120watt tube amp is not for playing quietly.

I think the Vypyr would be the go.
Its cheap.
And does what you need.

I am really leaning towards the Vyper right now. I'm not looking for professional tone, and the looper and stuff would keep me motivated and entertained. But once I get the chance, wicked awesome tube combo here I come.

Quote by yocomobebes
Actually the 5150 actually would sound alright at bedroom levels as most of its distortion comes from the preamp section. I would check out the F-30 though as already stated.

have you ever played a 5150 at bedroom volumes? It sounds absolutely disgusting. Just because most of the distortion comes from the preamp doesn't mean that the power tubes can be running ice cold, and yet you'd be getting a good tone.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
I have both and I couldn't live without either one. Honestly, it's all the amps I really need. The Peavey VYPYR is a great "one solution" amp. I HIGHLY recommend it. I have the 75 and it has become my primary amp.
Quote by TheEsupremacy
I have both and I couldn't live without either one. Honestly, it's all the amps I really need. The Peavey VYPYR is a great "one solution" amp. I HIGHLY recommend it. I have the 75 and it has become my primary amp.

Does it sound good compared to the 6505?You know what I want it to be like. Also do you have the Sanpera I/II?

Is the 75 watt worth it for the USB interface? I don't really want to spend that much for the unnecessary watts but if the usb thing is worth it I might. Other than recording does it serve any other purpose?

And I haven't played a 5150 at all yet. There is a 6505 here locally but I haven't got a chance at it yet.
And what about the lights? The whole batman look is cool, but I think it might get annoying at times.

Last edited by Pinky19 at Sep 21, 2008,
Hey man, I live in Charleston also.

Pied Piper not doing it for you? Hehe.

Buying gear here is a nightmare.
Page 1 of 2