Hi, i have recently made around 700 dollars between selling old stuff and allowances, and wanted to buy a new amp instead of a new guitar. i play classic rock, alt rock and a bit of metal and have been playing for 1 year. my current guitar is a fender standard stratocaster and my amp is a crate flexwave 15r. i would like to keep the amp as lightweight as possible.

thanks in advance
I suggest you get a V33 and a new practice amp, like a DA5, a Cube, or a Valvetronix.

That way, you can have a giggable amp and something to mess around with to see what kind of tones you like.

But if you want to go all out on an amp, look for a used F-30, Mesa Express, or Mesa Studio .22, as well as a few others.
Quote by imgooley
I suggest you get a V33 and a new practice amp, like a DA5, a Cube, or a Valvetronix.

That way, you can have a giggable amp and something to mess around with to see what kind of tones you like.

But if you want to go all out on an amp, look for a used F-30, Mesa Express, or Mesa Studio .22, as well as a few others.

add a jcm 800 to that last list
a jazz-chorus, you can find them pretty cheap used, and the cleans sounds wonderful, but you'll need a distorson pedal
Quote by Sguit
a jazz-chorus, you can find them pretty cheap used, and the cleans sounds wonderful, but you'll need a distorson pedal

The JC is a terrible idea for a rock amplifier...
Quote by imgooley

I like these suggestions, all but the express which compared to the f-30 is wildly overpriced. It sounds nice, but the added, crunch burn switches aren't that useful (the amp sounds better to me even for light blues like gain in the burn position) The five watt switch is pretty useless and you won't miss it on the f-30 which sounds good at lower volumes any ways.

Used jcm800 is a good bet if you want something british, traynor ycv50 blue is a nice sounding british amp with excellent cleans to boot. I've never tried the ycv20, but if it's similar to the 50 then it will sound good too and have less wattage if that interests you. If you're gigging the 50 would be better. Note, both the traynor would need a boost for metal and even with one only be good for metallica and thrashy stuff, nothing modern. They slay for the classic rock tones though.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Is your strat an HSS set up? Having a humbucker in the bridge position is going to be more helpful in getting metal out of any amp. As far as amps go, the V33 or V18 crate would work. If you could score a Classic 30, Valveking112 or used PV Classic 20, Crate 3112. You will need to try them to see which you prefer, but the pick up is essential IMO.

Edit: Realizing you are in Brazil...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
Is your strat an HSS set up? Having a humbucker in the bridge position is going to be more helpful in getting metal out of any amp. As far as amps go, the V33 or V18 crate would work. If you could score a Classic 30, Valveking112 or used PV Classic 20, Crate 3112. You will need to try them to see which you prefer, but the pick up is essential IMO.

Edit: Realizing you are in Brazil...

I was gonna ask that, but I reread his post and it said a bit of metal. True, single coils aren't optimum, but they can be passable for metal if it's only played every once in a while.
Quote by Kevin Saale
True, single coils aren't optimum, but they can be passable for metal if it's only played every once in a while.

It's the "bit of metal" that lent me towards the crates, C30 and VK. Plus his market is likely not what ours is in the US. They are good for the rest of what he plays tho.
Personally - metal through a single coil makes me wanna vomit, but others are ok with it. I see your point.
Quote by gregs1020
It's the "bit of metal" that lent me towards the crates, C30 and VK. Plus his market is likely not what ours is in the US. They are good for the rest of what he plays tho.
Personally - metal through a single coil makes me wanna vomit, but others are ok with it. I see your point.

it is really a bit of metal, as in the ocasional metallica song
im in brazil, but i would be buying it in the US...i would only want it to be light so that i would avoid paying overweight taxes when getting it back to brasil
Where in the US will you be buying, near what major city? When are you going? We have some very good used gear sites here in the us for you to search. (Please say Sacramento, LOL)

I can get some passable Metallica with my Blues Jr and OD pedal. It's by no means ideal for that - on paper it's horrendous. But it works for me. *flamesheild*(Thinking light amp that works the rest of what he plays).*flamesheild*
No need for a flameshield, thought the gain cranked on my greenscreamer through my hot rod deluxe did some passable metal.
Meh, you can get excellent metal tones out of single coils. It's all in the application.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.