Today while practicing guitar I was resting the side of my hand on the bridge (dont know why, it just sorta happened and I didn't notice) and I realized I could tremolo pick and to triplets a heck of alot faster and easier. Though I recall reading that resting the side of your hand on the bridge is a bad habit.

Now to clarify a bit, I was "resting" it on the bridge, I was applying little to no pressure on it. and the movment was still coming from my wrist. Also I see alot of videos on youtube where it appears they are resting it on the bridge also, but maybe its just floating right above it?
Actually, my teacher taught me that its best to rest your hand on the bridge. It gives you better control, and for beginners, it'd help your hand use its muscle memory to remember where the 6 strings are, so you need not to look down at your hand while playing. He also said that with resting your hand on the bridge, you could do stuff like play with the guitar behind your head (i tried, and it works), and it helps you keep your picking steady when walking around on stage or whatever. I haven't seen anything bad about it!
I was always taught that the only contact the picking hand should have to the guitar should be through the pick touching the strings, it forces you to focus on relaxing your hand as you have nothing to rest it on and relaxed hand = reduced tension = faster and smoother picking
My teacher told me when I first started that that is a bad habit and hard to lose once you get into it. If I do feel the need to "anchor" my hand, I'll rest my pinky on the pick guard, but I usually only do that when finger picking.
Quote by bluesbreaker88
I was always taught that the only contact the picking hand should have to the guitar should be through the pick touching the strings, it forces you to focus on relaxing your hand as you have nothing to rest it on and relaxed hand = reduced tension = faster and smoother picking

This is very wrong. It is important to have the side of your hand near the bridge to mute strings that aren't being played, otherwise sound caused by sympathetic string vibrations would ring out.
Some do it some dont. Some teach its a bad habit some teach its a good habit. Somebody teaching classical guitar would probably say its a terrible habit. Somebody teaching heavy metal guitar would probably say its a good habit. If you do alot of PM its pretty convenient if you hand is already there. And it does help in keep string noise down. Guitar is one of those things there are a thousand theories none is totally correct. Do whatever works for you.
Is it ok to rest the pinky on the body of the guitar ?
I dont have problems while playing rhythm but when it comes to playing the lead or finger picking, my pinky rests on the guitar. Not sure if I should correct it.
I usually lay my hand wherever it falls, which is usually on my bridge or just up the strings from it. I play metal with lots of muting, so it helps a lot. I've found that you could argue whether it is a good or bad habit, but in the end I think it comes down to personal opinion. If it helps your playing, then by all means do it.
Sounds like its good to notice where the strings are but you should stop doing it asap. Learn to just do it "Right" but start there maybe?
Guitars Owned: Yamaha F335
i always have my pinky anchored on the bridge pickup ring. makes it easy to come in and out of palm mutes and it really helps for sweeping.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top